A few questions about my himmi

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twigness

Reaction score
Hello. I recently aquired a beautiful himmi buck at the Ky cup show last weekend. I just had a couple questions though.

One, I know himmis are laid back breeds. But I let him out to run around the second day and he binkied. I was surprised that he would in a strange place and be so comfortable with us already. He isn't scared of my dog, cats, or us. He'll come right up to our feet. Is this normal or am I mistaking his spazing run abouts as I call them? Second we keep him in our room. Which is normally kept around 65 to 70 degrees with our air conditioner. Outside of our room however, is about 80 degrees cause we live with my partners mom and although we help pay power, she doesn't want the air conditioning on unless its unbareable. The thing is that our room is small and I let him out to run about on the kitchen flor or if its nice but not too hot outside on our deck with supervision. He loves getting out of course, and I watch him carefully. But is such a temp change like that going to seriously effect him? And he is going to be my show rabbit and I know a himmis points are climate sensitive. Will this effect him too? he isn't out long. Maybe 45 minutes or so until I can get him an xpen. He is handled and cuddled with daily and seems fine. And third I could not find oxbow young rabbit feed. Only adult rabbit feed. Will this be alright for now if I give him alfalfa cubes? Thanks for any help provided. If I have any more I will be sure to ask. Oh and he is only 8 weeks old

It sounds like he has an outgoing personality! Actually, Himalayans are generally known to make good pets for the first time rabbit owner. I wouldn't think a 10 degree temp change would affect him. It's known that warmer temps can cause some fading of his points but it would depend on how much time he spends in the warmer temperatures. Once he reaches 1 1/4 lbs you can start showing him.

Ok thank you. I'm glad there is nothing to worry about. And he is srill smutty. So he needs to loose all his smut before I can take him to his first show. But it's clearing up every day. Hopefuly he will be beautiful for the may show down here.

Oh I love himmis, how about posting a pic so we can see this handsome lad lol.

Here he is! His name is Dash and he likes to follow me around when I let him out. He has been here a week now. Anyone know where I can get a scale so I can weigh him? Oh and pardon my fail attempt at trying to pose him, we are both trying to get the hang of it lol

20130419_005813.jpg

20130415_080342.jpg

He is 9 weeks now. I handle and carry him around every day and let him out to run. His nose and ears have gotten darker since the picture, and he loses more and more of his smut everyday. I gave him a box to play with the other day and that became his favorite toy now lol. I do want to get him a harness and used to it. Cause besides a show rabbit and my friend, I would like him to become a therapy bunny

His hips are in the air and so you might roll him out so his topline is flatter. His head should also be down rather than in the air. Here is a link to a youtube video that will help you....

[ame]http://youtu.be/4G1B53OXGTo[/ame]

Latest posts

Back