A few newbie questions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thumper1234

Reaction score
hello everyone im new o_O i want a rabbit but i cant get one yet.

i just wanted to ask 2 things....whats a mini rex or rex bunny .... is it like a non-lop ear bunny?

also do rabbits HAVE to eat pellets or can we just give them vegetablesand fruits as their main diet....as in do i need to buy pellets at all?

thx everyone

Hi and Welcome!

A rex is a breed of rabbit. There is the mini rex and the standard rex.I dont know the exact weights but a standard rex is bigger.They are the type with up ears that have very soft fur, like avelveteen rabbit. Let me see if I can find you a pic...

Yes, rabbits must have pellets as part of their diet. Itdoes, however, only make up a part of their diet. Mmost breeds willneed 1/4-1/2 cup of pellets a day, and they also need unlimited accessto timothy hay, as wekl as lots fresh greens in their diet.

Feel free to look around the site and ask loads of questions. Check ourour Bunny 101 and reference sections, they have lots of great info!

-Haley

Edit: Heres the link for Bunny 101:http://rabbitsonline.net/view_forum.php?id=17

Both the mini rex and the standard rex have veryshort, plush fur like velvet. That's what really sets themapart. Standard rexes are relatively big, I think they'rearound 7-8 pounds. Mini rex are smaller, like 3-4 pounds.

Although there are a few general breed-based personality types, eachrabbit is an individual and you can find rabbits of any personalitytype in any breed. They have not been bred for personalitylike many dog breeds were, but more just for size, fur type, color,body type, etc.

Oh, and a velveteen lop is a rex-furred rabbit that is about 5 lbs and has the body and ears of an English lop.;)

well, there are lots of different breeds of rabbits.

a lot of rabbits you see in pet stores and such are mixed, as in they have a little of a few different breeds in them.

we're working on getting a Breed section here on the forum, so members can see all the different breeds.

the two rabbits in my avatar are dutch, which means they have thesignature marking that you see. I have another who is a lionhead, whichhas a maneof fur around his head. a rex,forexample, is typically recognized by its very soft,velvet-like fur. you have holland lops, who have the lopears,netherland dwarfs, who are smallwith shortears. etc.

Its hard to describeall the different breeds, but mainly itstheirsize, shape, and coloring that determines what breed ofrabbit they are.

Hope that makes sense!

thanks to both of you.. i understand now. theyall look so cute.. i dunno what kind of rabbit i would getwhen i have the chance :). tahnks again !!

um i have another question now sry to bother youpeople. Can rabbits drink soup? lol. i know its an awkward question butyou know those canned soups like mushroom/vegetable....can they drinkthat? can they drink chicken noodle soop ? thx

The exact weights of a full grown rex is 9lbs. and of a mini rex 4.5 lbs. This is the average maximum growth weight.

i see thanks !! ( for the soup and the mini rex/rex weight things) great help on this forum i have no regrets ofsigning up all the people are so nice :D

These are mystandard rex bunnies!:D

RubyandMillie-1.jpg

You'll definetly know one when you see one, their fur is gorgeous! Theyalso have great personalities,my two also have incredibly cheeky andplayfull characters.:D

naturestee wrote:
Both the mini rex and the standard rex have very short,plush fur like velvet. That's what really sets themapart. Standard rexes are relatively big, I think they'rearound 7-8 pounds. Mini rex are smaller, like 3-4 pounds.

Although there are a few general breed-based personality types, eachrabbit is an individual and you can find rabbits of any personalitytype in any breed. They have not been bred for personalitylike many dog breeds were, but more just for size, fur type, color,body type, etc.

Oh, and a velveteen lop is a rex-furred rabbit that is about 5 lbs and has the body and ears of an English lop.;)

WAIT!! Mini-Rex is 3-4lbs????????? If thats the case I think that is what Connor is!

cool thanks for the pics it really helps explain a lot... :Di never knew rexs look so cool !!!:shock:

thanks again everybody :D

Wow, Bunnys_rule, your castor MR pair is beautiful! Do you ever show them? I bet you could.

gentle giants wrote:
Wow, Bunnys_rule, your castor MR pair is beautiful! Do youever show them? I bet you could.

Aww thankyou!:DUnfortunatly they are both spayed so can't beshown, although I'm sure Ruby would love it! Millie on the other handwouldprobably try to nudge the judge away and jump off thetable.:foreheadsmack::rofl:

Latest posts

Back