A few bunny questions/concerns

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gabs

Reaction score
Hey all, new to the forum. My cat and two dogs were chasing a baby bunny in the yard this morning, and I scared them off and picked the little dear up. That's where it starts to get complicated, so I was hoping I could get some advice/input here.

I have no idea what type of rabbit he is. (I don't know he/she either,so I'm just going with he. ;) ) I was thinking maybe a cottontail, but I really don't know. Here's a picture:

http://img127.imageshack.us/img127/8346/babybunnysj8.jpg

For years I've wanted a bunny, so when this little sweetie showed up,my first urge was to keep. But at the same time, he doesn't appear to be injured from when my dogs caught him, so I'd feel pretty bad about taking him from his natural home just because I'd like to have a bunny.

If I do end up keeping, what kind of vet treatments would he need? Basically I just worry about what's best for the rabbit. If it'd be better to take him back to where I found him and let him go, or if keeping him is ok. :ponder:

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

I'm honestly not sure what breed that little cutie would be, but the people in the Rabbitry section would be able to help ya.

Want me to move this thread on over, so they can tell you?

Just let me know, and I'll move it in a jiffy! :D

I thought about posting it in there, but I was more concerned with the other questions I had about him. You know the forum better than I, so wherever you think I'd get the most help, feel free to move it. Thanks! :)

Ok...I'll go ahead and move this one to the Rabbitry. They'd know better than I would as far as being able to tell if he was a Cottontail/wild bunny.

That will determine what you'll be able to do, I think.

Moving it right now! :)

Hugs!!

maherwoman wrote:
Ok...I'll go ahead and move this one to the Rabbitry. They'd know better than I would as far as being able to tell if he was a Cottontail/wild bunny.

That will determine what you'll be able to do, I think.

Moving it right now! :)

Hugs!!

Thanks. :)

Little update on my little guy:

I'd decided it was probably best to let him go, so I took him back out where I found him. Two hours later, I went to check... and he'd barely moved. Being the sap I am, I brought him back with me.:shock:So I'm basically right back where I started this morning. I called my normal vet earlier and they said they'll see rabbits, so I may take him in later this week and see what they say...

He/she could be in shock. Keep him warm and quiet and maybe try give him warm water with a dropper.

Wild bunnies are notoriously hard to keep alive, so be prepared for heartbreak, although I won't fault you for trying.

Many people on this forum -- the majority -- will probably recommend leaving him in the wild, but I think he stands an equalchance of dying once the predators come out at dusk.

I'll pull up our Library link about Wild Bunnies, and you can make a decision after you read through it.

sas :(

Pipp wrote:
He/she could be in shock. Keep him warm and quiet and maybe try give him warm water with a dropper.

Wild bunnies are notoriously hard to keep alive, so be prepared for heartbreak, although I won't fault you for trying.
I was afraid that may be the case after doing some reading around here.:- He didn't move outside at all, but when he's in here with me he seems ok. Thanks for the heads up on that.

Thank you all for the help!

Do you have a better pic of him? His colouring looks wild, but without a good look at his head, hard to say. Possible (though not likely) that he's adomestic.

sas

I don't have one at the moment, but I'll take one later. I just set him up with a temporary home (a large cat carrier filled with litter) and he's in there right now.

I'm also glad I decided to bring him back in... I just got back from a run to the store to get him food, and turns out my dog caught and killed another one. :(:(Suffice to say, he's in big trouble tonight...

I'm sure you've read up on it enough, but make sure he's got lots of grass, hay and water. Maybe a few dandelion leaves might entice him. He looks weaned, mothers milk won't be an issue.

Hope he's okay. You may want to search for posts by Bo B Bunny about her little wild bunny Clover, who's doing really well. :)

sas :clover:

Pipp wrote:
I'm sure you've read up on it enough, but make sure he's got lots of grass,hay and water. Maybe a few dandelion leaves might entice him. He looks weaned, mothers milk won't be an issue.

Hope he's okay. You may want to search for posts by Bo B Bunny about her little wild bunny Clover, who's doing really well. :)

sas :clover:

We've got horses, so he'll have plenty of hay. :DI gave him a handful of that when I set up the temp. home earlier. I haven't seen any dandelions around, but I'll get him some grass.

Here's a face shot, ignore the errant person-leg on the side. :p

bunny012.jpg

And I don't know how well this'll work as I've not tried it before, but I took a short vid of him hopping around:http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v127/GabsHardy/?action=view&current=bunny013.flv

Thank you again for all the help. This is a fantastic forum, very well maintained by the staff. :)

He definitely looks like a cottontail to me. I would take him to a vet, however, they may not be able to treat wild rabbits and I know in my state, it is illegal.If he eats and drinks for you then he is fine. Are you going to try and keep him or eventually let him go?

Is there a wildlife rehabilitator near you? They would be the best people to contact in this situation. They have the equipment to treat the bun and get him back on his feet.

--Dawn

I think Starlight Rabbitry meant NOT to take him to a vet. Best to phone around, first, and see if the vet would report you to the Wildlife people, and if the Wildlife people would euthanise the bunny -- which happens a lot.

As I said, I'm in the minority here, especially in the Rabbitry, but while the great outdoors is their natural habitant and living free is how it's supposed to be,nature is nature, a wild rabbit (or a released domestic rabbit) doesn't have much of a lifespan.

Here's a link to a story that hit the news last week. They released 20 endangered Pygmy rabbits in Washington State in mid-March.Three weeks later, there were only four left. :shock:

http://scienceblogs.com/grrlscientist/2007/04/endangered_columbia_basin_pygm.php

(I'm using the above blog link because of the incredibly cute pic and the comments from readers)

sas

EDIT: Here's the non-blog story... (Photo isn't as cute, and sans comments)

April 12, 2007, 10:53AM

20 endangered rabbits released; 14 promptly eaten

Associated Press

EPHRATA, Wash. � Most of a group of 20 endangered rabbits that were reintroduced to the wild with great fanfare last month have been killed by predators, state officials said.

Only four of the rabbits released on March 13 remained at the Sagebrush Flat Wildlife Area as of Tuesday, said David Hays, pygmy rabbit coordinator for the state Department of Fish and Wildlife.

Hays said two males were removed earlier this month and will be returned at the end of April. The other 14 rabbits are believed to have fallen victim to predators, mainly coyotes, but also hawks and owls, Hays said.

The rabbits, small enough to fit in the palm of a hand, eat sagebrush and are the only rabbits in the United States that dig their own burrows.

The Sagebrush Flat Wildlife Area, about 10 miles north of Ephrata, is considered the last native home of the Columbia Basin pygmy rabbit. The rabbit was listed as a state endangered species in 1993 and federally protected in 2003.

The 3,700-acre release site has been watched daily by Fish and Wildlife staff. Several of the rabbits were fitted with GPS monitors. Of the four rabbits remaining at the site, three are females who could be pregnant, officials said.

Hays said the rapid decline in population does not doom the multimillion dollar project to return the near-extinct rabbit to its natural environment. More rabbits will be released in the area, and experts are looking for ways to reduce predation.

"We're taking it week by week. This is valuable learning time," he said.

311xInlineGallery.jpg

Update:

I left food and water in his little carrier overnight, and he definitely ate. Not sure if he drank or not, but I think he did. I also gave him a warm rice sock for heat this morning, since it's suddenly gotten colder again. (Stupid state.) About an hour ago, I took him back outside and let him go where I found him yesterday morning. Just went and checked, and there's no sign of him. :DMaybe he just wanted a warm bed and some food, an overnight hotel stay. :p Hopefully he's gone off to take care of himself. The dogs are staying in for the day, because it'd break my heart if one of them came back with him.

Thanks once again for all the advice and links, you guys are wonderful. I'll definitely be back here if he comes back to me, or if/when I get my own legal baby bun.

Pipp, that blog article/pic/comments are awesome. :D That little bunny is adorable! *dies of the cute*

Latest posts

Back