A difficult bonding process

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarah Gunni

Reaction score
Hey! Sorry in advance for this really, really long post. But I want to get all the details in.
3,5 weeks ago I decided to adopt another bunny. I felt it was finally time to find a friend for my two year old (neutered) girl. She's free roaming our entire house. She's a very independent little lady - she's never aggressive, but just jumps away if she doesn't fancy to be pet. She's very curious and though independent, still quite social. At the adoption center I found a 3 year old (spayed) male. From what I was told, I thought his personality would be a match. He was also very curious, maybe a little bit more outgoing, but also possible territorial. He wasn't used to be free roaming, and had been at the shelter for 5 months.
I was prepared that it wouldn't be an easy bonding process. I was prepared to be patient and flexible with my plan. But honestly, it's been more difficult than I expected, and I worry I have to give up on him.
I took her with me to the shelter, but she got scared, so the bunny dating thing didn't work. I took them home in two different cages. I set him up at a spare roam, that she doesn't always have access too. I had the door closed at first, but then at a few hours a day I let them see each other through a fence. I kept switching their stuff, and mixing up the poop and pee in the litter boxes, because switching them wasn't an option.
She kept digging at the blanket in front of the cage. He kept pooping and peeing everywhere. I thought I saw progress in their interactions after about 4 days, so I decided it was time for them to meet.
The first interaction was at the bathroom, in a small area. He got scared, because he couldn't run on the tiles. She wasn't annoyed the she was kept there. After about 15 minutes they got annoyed with each other. I put them together for a pet.
The second interaction happened the next day the same place. It went well at first, so I put a towel on the ground so it was easier for him to move. Then they started fighting. I again put them together for a pet, and ended the session.
The pooping, peeing and digging continued. But they also ate and groomed themselves just at the gate.
I tried a stress bonding session a few days later. I put them in a smaller basket and walked around. Later that night, I let them meet again, at another neutral area, but slightly bigger this time. I put towels on the ground, and sat there with them. Some fighting again.. He seemed to ask her to be groomed, and when she didn't, he got annoyed. She got annoyed, when he ran too fast, too close to her. But they also showed good signs, like eating, grooming and napping.
I let them have a week or so off. Where they for a few hours or more could see each other at the fence, but didn't meet. The pooping and peeing stop, and the digging got a whole lot better. She especially still kept trying to move the fence to get to his side. She succeeded once, but I realised seconds later and stopped it. I gave him access to another room, so he could get more exercise, but it of course also meant to "take" a room from her.
Then I took them both in the basket on a car ride, so get to my dads house for a bigger and still neutral area to do the bonding. The session was better than the previous one, but some fighting still happened.
I felt like the last option was to go with the "wear them out" method... So for the last three days, I've spent every evening with them at our 4 sqm bathroom. I put towels out. I put two litterboxes with hay and two water bowls in each their end. I've sat on the floor with them, and I've engaged myself in their bonding. Doing a whole lot of petting, together and one by one. Doing a clicking sound while trying to relax them, and then continued that sound when they were near each other.
They sometimes run to the each other. Sometimes the ignore each other, sometimes they fight (a little - very limited amount of fur has fallen out). He often puts his head down to be groomed. I pet them both, when nothing else happens. But then finally, at the end of the first night, she groomed him. A few seconds later, he tried to bite her. Next day that happened sooner. Twice. In between they ignored each other or fought. Only after 3 hours, she groomed him for 10 minutes and it didn't end in a fight.
Now, on the third night, the grooming has gone both ways. But it still sometimes end with them fighting. They also still chase each other and fight a little. I'm still trying to engage myself in the bonding by petting them and I clap my hands loudly when they fight to distract them.
I'm just not sure, how to go from here. I see progress, but I honestly don't understand why they're still fighting. I don't know what else to try and I don't know what tempo to move forward in. I've read so many articles, blogs and threads, but I honestly haven't found anyone describing the situation I'm experiencing. So I'm very curious to get advice on how to make this a succesfull bonding.

You may want to consider switching to the fast bonding method, where you put them together and don't separate until bonded(supervised, usually 24-48 hours). Reason being is that each time you separate after bonding sessions, you are stopping and even sometimes reversing any progress that has been made in the bond. Whereas keeping them together and monitoring them, they are able to continue to sort out their hierarchy and relationship issues without being constantly interrupted by being separated. So that's what I would try next.

There is also deciding whether to use a small or large bonding area. Some rabbits do better with having more space to be able to get away from each other when they need a break, but sometimes a small bonding space is better as the rabbits can't run away and avoid interacting with each other, so they are essentially put in a position where they have to interact and get to know one another faster.
https://www.cottontails-rescue.org.uk/information/bonding-bunnies/

This link may also have some helpful general info on bonding.
http://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Bonding_rabbits_together

You may want to consider switching to the fast bonding method, where you put them together and don't separate until bonded(supervised, usually 24-48 hours). Reason being is that each time you separate after bonding sessions, you are stopping and even sometimes reversing any progress that has been made in the bond. Whereas keeping them together and monitoring them, they are able to continue to sort out their hierarchy and relationship issues without being constantly interrupted by being separated. So that's what I would try next.

There is also deciding whether to use a small or large bonding area. Some rabbits do better with having more space to be able to get away from each other when they need a break, but sometimes a small bonding space is better as the rabbits can't run away and avoid interacting with each other, so they are essentially put in a position where they have to interact and get to know one another faster.
https://www.cottontails-rescue.org.uk/information/bonding-bunnies/

This link may also have some helpful general info on bonding.
http://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Bonding_rabbits_together

Thanks so much! We'll try now to just keep them together will supervised until they're bonded. Seems like they're ready for that stage :)

Thanks so much! We'll try now to just keep them together will supervised until they're bonded. Seems like they're ready for that stage :)
Good luck with that and let us know how it goes :)

So... It was going really well for a whole day. Quite a bit of grooming and very minimal fighting. Just him nipping a few times for attention. We tried leaving them alone for a few minutes - no problem. Then a little longer a couple of time - no problem. Then we left them alone for about 45 minutes - big fight. I feel terrible having made that mistake. Her fur was everywhere. We initially found three wounds on her. All looked like burn marks from a lot of fur being ripped out. I was devasted. Separated them, so they (and I) could relax.
I decided to start up again the next day. They were still set up to be able to see each other, and they acted like nothing had happened. She seemed fine too. Eating and pooping like normal. At this point I had 5 days where we could be with them 24/7. I won't have that option again. So we started the fast bonding method up again.
It went so well. Grooming and cuddling. Only small fights, if you would even call them that.
Then I realised she's limping. It took several attempts to find it, but we found a fourth wound on her back leg. No blood, doesn't even look like a burn mark. But she's clearly in pain.
I don't know wether to take her to the vet or not. If she needs painkillers. We are keeping an eye on the wounds and cleaning them. The bonding is going so well, so I really don't want to separate them. But he's so energetic and running around, and she can't match him (she still runs, but not as much). Which is personality, but also because of her leg. Will painkillers help the situation? Her pain, the healing, the bonding?
Anyone have advice on what to do?
Also how long time should I expect the healing of the wounds to take?

Please note, that we don't have many rabbit savvy vets where I live, and I'm not able to get a hold on someone before tomorrow. It's not that I don't want to do what's right for her, but the usual vets aren't rabbit savvy.

The bonding could potentially still continue, but that all depends on how bad her injury is, how she is responding to having the injury, and how he is responding to her being injured. If she is being chased or bothered too much, because of her injury that wouldn't be good as she likely needs to be able to rest the leg. If he is being good with her and she seems to be doing ok with her leg, it could possibly be alright to continue with the bonding. But you are the one seeing the situation, so are in the best position to know how to proceed. And it may even be her being a little less mobile might help calm the bonding process.

Hopefully she just has a minor strain and will heal quickly. Usually rabbits are prescribed meloxicam for minor/medium pain relief and as an anti inflammatory. Here in the US it requires a prescription, but I don't know if that's the case where you live. I've included a link for an information page for meloxicam for rabbits. If you have to take her to the vet to get her checked and for the prescription, if you are still wanting to continue the bonding process, nothing is broken and it seems like just a strain/sprain, and you have someone to go with you, I would consider taking both rabbits together in a carrier as a sort of stress bonding from being in the car. Plus if you were to separate and only take one rabbit to the vet, that will set the bonding back and could cause issues as she will come back smelling different(like a vet office). If you take both rabbits, you would want someone who's not the driver, to constantly be able to monitor them in case they needed to be immediately separated.
https://www.vgr1.com/metacam/

The bonding could potentially still continue, but that all depends on how bad her injury is, how she is responding to having the injury, and how he is responding to her being injured. If she is being chased or bothered too much, because of her injury that wouldn't be good as she likely needs to be able to rest the leg. If he is being good with her and she seems to be doing ok with her leg, it could possibly be alright to continue with the bonding. But you are the one seeing the situation, so are in the best position to know how to proceed. And it may even be her being a little less mobile might help calm the bonding process.

Hopefully she just has a minor strain and will heal quickly. Usually rabbits are prescribed meloxicam for minor/medium pain relief and as an anti inflammatory. Here in the US it requires a prescription, but I don't know if that's the case where you live. I've included a link for an information page for meloxicam for rabbits. If you have to take her to the vet to get her checked and for the prescription, if you are still wanting to continue the bonding process, nothing is broken and it seems like just a strain/sprain, and you have someone to go with you, I would consider taking both rabbits together in a carrier as a sort of stress bonding from being in the car. Plus if you were to separate and only take one rabbit to the vet, that will set the bonding back and could cause issues as she will come back smelling different(like a vet office). If you take both rabbits, you would want someone who's not the driver, to constantly be able to monitor them in case they needed to be immediately separated.
https://www.vgr1.com/metacam/

Thanks so much for your advice, JBun. We've decided to take her to the vet tomorrow. Unfortunately we will have to stop the bonding. We are not able to bring both bunnies, because I have to be at work and only my husband could go. But getting a time at the vet sooner rather than later seemed more important at this stage. Tomorrow is also the first day when we won't be able to supervise them 24/7. They are still not able to be left alone without supervision, since he is still chasing and nipping her behind her at dawn and dusk. It's not a lot, but enough that we don't feel comfortable leaving them alone. Today they also haven't been grooming each other and cuddling, but just ignoring each other, which is a set back in the proces. It's devasting, because it's been stressful for them and us to get to this point - having done the slow bonding method for 5 weeks and the fast bonding method for 5 days now and they're still not bonded. Having to stop it all now, and possibly having to give him back to the adoption center, is just devasting..

Latest posts

Back