A day at the Aquarium!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kherrmann3

Reaction score
Will and I went to Chicago yesterday to go to the Shedd Aquarium. We are members for the year (expires in August). They don't have the dolphins, belugas, or penguins on display now. They are redoing their exhibits. I do have some pretty good pictures of their other critters! I figured that I would share! :) PICTURE HEAVY!

Enjoy!

This guy was just swimming around in his enclosure. No idea what he is!

Emerald Tree Boa.

A MONSTROUS Arapaima!

A smaller Arapaima.

Electric Eels.

Atlantic Wolf Fish.

Close-Up of the Wolf Fish.

A different view of the Wolf Fish. Ugly little buggar!

Some kind of Anthias.

King Crabs.

Here's a little deep-sea fish whose name escapes me. The weird looking white thing is a closed-up anemone.

Weedy Sea Dragon.

Alligator Snapping Turtle.

Poison Dart Frogs!

Golden Frog of some type.

A pair of Paddlefish.

Moon Jellyfish.

More Moon Jellies!

One more of Moon Jellies!

Little Garden Eels. They're so cute!

Guitarfish.

Another shot of the Guitarfish.

Underside of the Guitarfish.

Zebra Shark.

Underside of the Zebra Shark.

Underside of a Stingray.

Sandbar Shark and some fish.

Another Sandbar Shark.

Yet another Sandbar Shark.

Underside of the shark.

Sea Turtle!

This concludes my fishy presentation! :D I hope you all enjoyed it!

It's kind of expensive to go... My mum took Will and I there last summer and we wound up just getting a membership. The "family" plan is for two adults + some kids. Being that I don't have kids, it doesn't help me! Oh well. It was $125 for a family membership. We were just going to go the one time, but it was like $75 for the three of us to go. Since it was close to the membership price, and I knew that I'd want to go again, we just shelled out the extra money! :D It was worth it! We've been there three times in the past year! The dolphins/whales/penguins will be back this summer!

kherrmann3 wrote:
It's kind of expensive to go... My mum took Will and I there last summer and we wound up just getting a membership. The "family" plan is for two adults + some kids. Being that I don't have kids, it doesn't help me! Oh well. It was $125 for a family membership. We were just going to go the one time, but it was like $75 for the three of us to go. Since it was close to the membership price, and I knew that I'd want to go again, we just shelled out the extra money! :D It was worth it! We've been there three times in the past year! The dolphins/whales/penguins will be back this summer!
still cheaper than seaworld.........:p

kherrmann3 wrote:
But Sea World has Orcas and Bottlenose Dolphins! The Shedd Aquarium has crappy Pacific White Sided Dolphins! :p

and i've been maybe 4 times in my 15 year life......and two of those times were because i have type 1 diabetes and seaworld hosted a JDRF event and then let us into the park for free.......

and we don't have sea dragons, i'd love to see those:biggrin2:!

Sea Dragons and Jellyfish are maybe my favoritest things at aquariums!

I went to Shedd Aquarium once, I went up there to visit a friend who lived in Chicago. He took me there, but I was annoyed that he didn't save me a few dollars by buying my ticket for me, since they give a discount to Chicago residents, and he could have bought my ticket when he got his. (At least they gave the discount when I was there, maybe 4 years ago.)

Oh well, the money was well spent!

Shedd Aquarium is much larger than the Aquarium of the Americas, in New Orleans, but that's fabulous, too.

kherrmann3 wrote:
I love the Sea Dragons! There are two kinds there. I mentioned the weedy one. There is another but the name escapes me.
I think the other kind of Sea Dragon is the Leafy sea dragon.

The zoo in Omaha had both kinds in their small aquarium last time I was there. (The aquarium at the zoo is small, but they have a shark tunnel, so that makes up for it!)

I'm kind of a zoo and aquarium junkie, if I had the money I would take some time to travel around the country just going to zoos and aquariums.

BethM wrote:
I'm kind of a zoo and aquarium junkie, if I had the money I would take some time to travel around the country just going to zoos and aquariums.
That's me! Will just groans about it now. I flipped when the Milwaukee County Zoo had a traveling Koala exhibit. Poor Will just followed behind me like a lost doggy.

Here is a short video of the Chimera/Ratfish in action. I love watching these guys. They just gracefully float along. Pay no attention to the lady talking. She was the obnoxious lady who was talking to her friend at a ridiculously loud volume.

Yeah, the leafy sea dragons are the ones that I have the picture of. The weedy sea dragons have smaller appendages and are more orange with bluish spots on said appendages. They have two tube-like habitats for them. Weedies are in one, leafies in another. They have about 4+ specimens of each. They are boring to watch, being that they don't move too much, but they are fascinating to look at, anatomy-wise. :) I'm a dork.

kherrmann3 wrote:
BethM wrote:
That's me! Will just groans about it now. I flipped when the Milwaukee County Zoo had a traveling Koala exhibit. Poor Will just followed behind me like a lost doggy.
2 summers ago, I got Jason to drive 3 hours (each way) to take me to the Omaha Zoo! Woo-hoo! I lucked out that he likes seeing the animals, too! And he'd never been in a Shark Tunnel before, he thought that was really cool and it made the trip worth it for him. I'd really like to do a day trip to St. Louis Zoo, but it's hard now, with the rabbits. We wouldn't get back until late, and they would be really mad at us.

One of my weird collections is coffee mugs from zoos and aquariums that I've visited. (I'm very particular, though, they have to be standard size and shape. No oversized ones or weird shapes, because then they wouldn't fit in my cabinet.) Jason just groans, I *know* I have "enough" coffee mugs, but just this one more..... ;)

It takes us roughly three hours to get to the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago from Waukesha, WI. It's a long, not very scenic drive. :grumpy: Will insists on driving, so I get to annoy him for three hours in the car... Where he can't escape! :nasty:

Latest posts

Back