A crazy thing happened this morning...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

footsie

Reaction score
Very recently, we have found that one of our 4male rabbits is actually a female rabbit. At that time it wastoo late, the baby rabbits had died. Knowing how greatrabbits are at reproducing, we are making every attempt to keep thefuture bunnies safe.

With this in mind, I check the rabbits at least 4 times a day to see ifthe little ones have arrived yet. Yesterday afternoon Ichecked them before leaving for work, only to find one of them had duga hole through the chicken wire under a foot of dirt. Therewas now a tunnel going who knows where and how far under theirpen. I decided that I would have to deal with it in themorning, for at that time I was going to be later for work.

We are now at the present time. I woke up this morning tofind only 3 rabbits. I freaked out. I searchedaround the cage. I questioned my kids, maybe one of them leftthe door opened last night by mistake; they both said no.

The hole that was there yesterday was now filled in, so I assumed myhusband filled it in last night... No, the rabbit that wasmissingwas in that tunnel with the entrance closed making itlook like it was gone (I had dug out the hole again to see if it wasstill there). So I fed them and sure enough I have fourrabbits again. I just checked the recently dug out tunnel andsure enough it is covered again.

I am assuming she has her babies in there. What should Ido? I have given therabbits tonnes ofhay. I can see that there is a lot of hay going down into thetunnel. Should I just leave it up to her? Or shouldI try to get the bunnies out of there?

Sorry about how long this is but thisare my first rabbits and I am finding them fastinating!

My best suggestion isgetting the Males caged for now, especially if you suspect thefemale has had babies underground . ifthe hay is just starting tomove down now she is buildingher nest now , chances are by later thisevening she will have had them. Chances are also very High that as soonas she has the babies she will get pregnant againso in 28 days I would be cagingher also . or as soon after thebabies come up out of the ground , gatherthem all up and cage them Seperately.Keep the babies with the mother buteveryone else has their own cage.

8 babies every 31 days is goingto amount to a whole passel ofbabies and let me tell ya as awarning those babies can get pregnantvery quickly after 6 months of age , before youknow it with the set up youhave right now you are going to be up toyour neck in rabbits , not a healthy situation .

My rabbit has done the something, we found 1dead baby out side then went to check a little while latter and foundthe hole sealed up ( the aby was not near the tunnel she had made anddruge hay in)

Latest posts

Back