A Couple Bunny Q's

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarkingPup

Reaction score
So I have some pretty random questions about bunnies in general.

1. Hamm came with two rubbermaid containers of stuff. Because most of the stuff was pointless I managed to move it down to one rubbermaid. I was wondering if I could turn the rubbermaid into a digging box by putting two holes in either side (very large ones, don't want an accident).

2. I've heard of putting newspaper, hay, grass mats, and phone books inside a digging box... So I'm confused as to what exactly I put in there... All of them? One at a time? Switch it up?

3. With birds you can get special perches that wear down nails. So could I put something in the bottom of the digging box that is safe and rough enough that it wears down nails? Should I put something in the bottom of the digging box anyways?

4. NIC cages. Still confusing me a bit. I measured the space I have using NIC panels and the cage will be two panels wide and three panels long. I'm building up hopefully to two stories. Soooo maybe a minimum of five panels high with one or two shelves. Does that sound roomy? Good for a bunny? (I need to measure how tall he is when he stretches...)

I've read that the taller you go the more support you need. I'm still confused as to how I make supports... dowel is mentioned but how does that work? Do I just attach dowel along a wall? Does it need to rest against anything? Anything else I can use to support?

Note: I went to the How To for NIC cages but the pic's don't work for me :/

Here are my thoughts:
1) Sure, go for it - however, it may be more practical to get a slightly lower box that Hamm can hop into, as the digging materials would likely fly out of nay lower holes that you make.

2) Yup, all at once, or switch it up. Either works

3) A seagrass mat on the bottom would do the trick for bottom protection. Rabbits don't do the scratching post action lke cats - their nails will just wear down while digging around in the box. - You can place a cardboard box insert in there too.

* you may want to assess whether hamm is a digger or not (some bunns aren't) Maybe try with a cardboard box first , before cutting holes in your rubbermaid?

4) 2 panels by 3 panels sounds just right to me :) As long as he can stand straight up in some portion of the cage, you should be good to go.

I will try to find some links about support for you. I've personally used more supporting NIC walls in my designs and lots of zipties - doweling is best though.
I will see if I can't fix up the NIC How -To :)

Yeah, I was trying to figure out how to stop the materials from flying everywhere. I might have to get creative.

Excellent, I just need to find the seagrass mat. Hopefully I don't have to order it online.

I'll see if he likes a box first. He digs everywhere right now but that could mean he's just a restless bunny.

That would be awesome. I don't know why the pictures aren't working right for me. Seeing how the support works would be a great help.

Thank you ^^

I have a rubbermaid digging box too! It was like 3 dollars, I love it.

I just have a step on the outside & on the inside so they can jump in and out. I put lots of newspaper in the bottom and then fill it with hay. One of my rabbits will get down and rip the newspaper to shreds. One of my other rabbits prefers the cardboard in the bottom. :p Cardboard or thick newspaper would be a lot cheaper replacing than mats, you can get it for free((ask stores/vets/anything for their cardboard boxes)).

I have the same thing for my bunnies as Larry. But I get a DVD box or similar and cut the a few sides out and shred newspaper in there and they have a ball in there so does my cat when she wants to share it with them.

Latest posts

Back