A compsnion for Coco ?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coco_puffs

Reaction score
Good Sunday morning all! Newbie back with another Q!

Coco, while he loves to be petted and scratched and will sit with you all day long as long as you're doing this, does not seem to be bonding to either myself or my roommate. He doesn't ever approach us and still often runs when we approach him.

This doesn't really hurt my feelings, but I'm feeling really bad for his loneliness. I have my roommate to talk to, my birds have each other to talk to and poor Coco just bounces (though seemingly happily) around by himself.

So, I thought a small female to keep him company might be nice. Someone gave me a wonderful resource close to home here, and the adoption fees and vet bills and space requirements are not prohibitive for us. My only big problem would be, what if they don't get along?

This would be horrible as I would have two rabbits not bonded to each other or me. If they don't get along, what are the chances of them fighting? Coco nipped me a few times (excited about treats) and I can't imagine a serious bite from fear or anger. I've had to break up parrot fights and I've been bitten seriously. What are the real dangers of a male and female fighting and seriously hurting each other? I don't mind breaking up a fight but if it happens all the time, that can't be a harmonious or desirable situation for anyone involved.

Just trying to cover all possibilities before committing. I'm sure this question has been asked before so if you could point me to past posts or articles, I would appreciate it. And of course, the expertise here is *always* wanted.

Thank you!!

Well if your worried about them not getting along, then don't get too attached and work with a shelter that helps you with the process of dating bunnies and that allows you to take back the bunnies that don't work out. Just understand a rabbit can be perfectly happy by themselves, many times we humanize these creatures by giving them a range of emotion that they just don't possess. As long as your taking care of him and making sure you spend a sufficient amount of daily time with him he'll be all right. My perspective in the "Should I get another rabbit" is that you get one if you strongly desire a second one and you are prepared for the worst of fall outs (It doesn't work out or one gets injured). The fact is these are our pets, love them however much we do, and so we make the decisions of what's best for them. Sort of like I wanted to be an only child, but my parents took that decision from me :). But in seriousness, only do it if your committed to the idea and want another rabbit for yourself, then you can worry if Coco wants a mate too.

My general advice is this: Don't get another rabbit, just because you feel like Coco needs a mate. Do it because you want another rabbit and are ready for the extra commitment. This is because, unfortunately, some rabbits never get along. Two of my rabbits will, probably, never get along. But I've accepted that. I love them both and am content to interact with each separately. Sometimes that creates a stressful situation, but it's something you have to be prepared for.

Not saying that will happen necessarily, but be wary. The key to having two rabbits get along is that they are both fixed and you introduce them slowly. You have to have a lot of patience because sometimes it takes a long time (some people on here have said that it has taken 3 months or so for their rabbits to bond). I would say that if you are willing to put in the time and effort, it can be quite rewarding.

To aid in the process, try taking your rabbit to local shelters and have a "bunny date" in which they meet on neutral ground. If they ignore each other, great. If they groom or snuggle, even better. If there is any aggression, try a different one. That can be really helpful because you're involving Coco in the process to find him a mate. :)

Find out if the rescue allows bunny dates. If not, you might be better off looking for one that does. This is really the only way to ensure that you end up with a compatible bondmate for Coco.

I've done this a number of times myself. More often than not, I've also had to exchange the attempted bun with another one before finding the "right one."

You mentioned that you don't mind breaking up a fight, but if 2 rabbits do fight it is very unlikely that the bond will work out. Some people will go to great lengths to force a bond. I think there comes a point when it is too stressful for the rabbits and just isn't worth it. The "real dangers" you asked about with fighting is serious injury or death. (yes, rabbit fights can be fatal)

Lots to consider here, thanks very much. I would absolutely love another bun for myself. Having owned dogs, cats and birds, rabbits are far and away my favorite. So even if a bond between the rabbits doesn't work out, she would be my pet first and if she would let me, I would still give her tons of attention and affection. And, I'm home all day to supervise and provide them with whatever they need. Worse case scenario as I see it, is they fight too much and I have to keep them separated. Which would still be ok because I have plenty of room for that.

But ... I will take in all of this info and make a careful decision. A bunny date sounds like a perfect idea.

On a side note, Coco and I spent another few hours out by the pool today and he did not do his "look mom I can swim!" trick for me this time :)

Thanks again - you'all are just fantastic and patient and generous with the help!

How long have you had your bun for? I ask because you say he is not bonded with you or your roommate. What is the definition of bonding for you?

My bun will run up to me when he is being active, he will play chase with me chasing him or him chasing me, he enjoys being petted, will eat out of my hand, will flop near me, run bun 500 and binky. I have only been groomed three times and he does not like to be picked up. I feel he is bonded.

Some buns will groom, some will jump on their owners laps wanting to be held, some will run up to you and some will not. Each bun is an individual and behaves differently. Also your bun may just need more time to feel comfortable and to start looking to you or your roommate more for companionship.

(\(\
( .. )
(")(")

It can definitely take some time for a Bun to get comfortable with you, trust you, and bond with you. Bringing in another bun may not be the answer. I know for my current rescue, an 8week old Lionhead, it took me just sitting in the room to get her used to me! Treats have seemed to work wonders with her, as well as me just sitting in her cage with her (it's a NIC Cage haha so I can fit) and just being around her more. Now she LOVES to get pats! Perks right up when I enter the room, and will even come and "explore" me when I lay on the floor.

Patience, treats and spending lots of time might be the answer! :nod

:goodluck

Hi! Thanks for your reply. I've had Coco since February 5. Bonding, to me, is developing and nurturing a relationship or an emotional connection with your rabbit. One where it is happy to see you and content to spend quiet time with you without treats or the promise of something. A relationship that is reaffirmed regularly with rituals (such as preening, nose scratching, ear cleaning, cuddling, etc.). A relationship that requires social time on a daily basis. I know rabbits are social animals that's why I thought letting Coco have one of his "own kind" might satisfy some fundamental social need for him.

How long have you had your bun for? I ask because you say he is not bonded with you or your roommate. What is the definition of bonding for you?

My bun will run up to me when he is being active, he will play chase with me chasing him or him chasing me, he enjoys being petted, will eat out of my hand, will flop near me, run bun 500 and binky. I have only been groomed three times and he does not like to be picked up. I feel he is bonded.

Some buns will groom, some will jump on their owners laps wanting to be held, some will run up to you and some will not. Each bun is an individual and behaves differently. Also your bun may just need more time to feel comfortable and to start looking to you or your roommate more for companionship.

(\(\
( .. )
(")(")

There is a little voice in my head saying 'wait.' His fitting in around here is progressing beautifully and he does seem happy. But as I implied in my reply above, I don't want to deny him something that is a fundamental need. I think I'm going to give it a few more months. Those little voices usually have a great deal of reason in them! THANKS again!!

It can definitely take some time for a Bun to get comfortable with you, trust you, and bond with you. Bringing in another bun may not be the answer. I know for my current rescue, an 8week old Lionhead, it took me just sitting in the room to get her used to me! Treats have seemed to work wonders with her, as well as me just sitting in her cage with her (it's a NIC Cage haha so I can fit) and just being around her more. Now she LOVES to get pats! Perks right up when I enter the room, and will even come and "explore" me when I lay on the floor.

Patience, treats and spending lots of time might be the answer! :nod

:goodluck

Others are free to argue with me about this, but this is my opinion on getting a companion for your rabbit as a "fundamental need." First and foremost, he sounds happy as it is. You said he enjoys exploring, binkying, and doesn't seem to be showing signs of depression. It sounds to me like he is content on his own. Rabbits being social creatures can be interpreted in different ways. Yes, sometimes they do enjoy the company of others, but they also enjoy your company. Even if he doesn't "seem" bonded to you, he probably is at some level. He sits and likes to get petted. That is a sign that he does like you.

A couple months really isn't very long and it seem as though you have really high expectations. Some rabbits take longer to bond and open up to you. Others do it in a shorter time. Also, some rabbits are just naturally less affectionate or less interested in people than others. Sometimes they grow out of it, other times they do not. It all depends on the rabbit. I would say if you're worried about him bonding with you, it might be best not to get another rabbit at this point because, well, he is going to bond more with the other rabbit than with you. Right now you're his companion. That will change if you get him a mate.

On the subject of getting him a companion...if you don't want to take on another rabbit, you can always try giving him a stuffed animal. As long as he doesn't shred it and you give him one that doesn't have anything on it that can be chewed off and swallowed, you could try that. Some rabbits are perfectly content with a plush friend and will groom and snuggle it like it's a companion. Others are not. Again, all depends on the rabbit.

Latest posts

Back