A Color Question.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FallingStar

Reaction score
Ok, well I have a black mini rex buck, and at one of fairs I was at, the judge told me the his fur was "sun-brunt" because he is black but turning a brownish color. Then they thought that I entered him in the wrong class because I entered him in black and they thought I should enter him in chocolate.

But anyways, I don't understand how his fur can be "sunbrunt" if he isn't in the sun? Because the way his cage is sitting he only gets some of the morning sun, and a little bit in the afternoon. So he is never always in the sun. So is there another reason for this? Or what?

Thanks.

Karlee

It doesn't take much sun to turn a black mini-rexes coat brown or rusty looking, even if their not in direct sunlight summer heat can cause fading, this is a very common problem with black rabbits. Often this can happen if they are urine sprayed from another rabbit, or if their moulting the old coat can fade and look brown before being shed. Put him in the shade, brush him and wait for cooler weather, he'll look blacker once he moults out.

Ok, Thanks.

He is right now moulting so I will be brushes him alot, and keeping him the shade more often. Because now up here, we aren't getting much sun, since it's getting cooler. So hopefully he will return to beautiful black. :D

Hi Karlee,

Well you have a rabbit that is Molting. That is normal for this time of year for all Rabbits with Rex fur. The reason it turns brown is itis oxadizing. When rabbit hair dies The Iron in the hair oxidizes just like iron or steal rusts when it is not painted. The same thing happens to Rabbits with Rex fur as in the Standard Rex or Mini Rex Rabbits. If you go to a tractor Supply Store and Check in the Horse section, You can get a tool the looks like a piece of Lava Rock to Brush your Rabbit with. They are only a couple of Buck. Or go to a Local Rabbit show and you should be able to get one from a Cage dealer. Do not use a Brush or comb on your Rabbit. They will only Break the Hairs and make your Rabbit look like it has notches in his Fur. It could take as long as two months for all the old fur to come out, But when he is done he will look wonderful. If you have anymore question on Mini Rex, Fell free to go to our web site and send us an email with your question. We Raise them for show. I hope this helps you out. Good luck with your Rabbit.

Jeff Simmons

Michaela's Hop Shop

Can this happen with other breeds as well? I notice that my netherland dwarf who has very short plush fur is getting the sunburnt look right now. She seems to be moulting but not heavily.

Yes most rabbits will get that window faded look more so you see it in darker coats. and Rex are particularly bad for not holding their coats well. In fact over here their show life may only be 5 or 6 weeks and then once the coat goes they can't be shown again. seems such a shame :(

usually when you start to see the new coat coming in its much darker again.

Smoke nethies go very pale brown when moulting as a by the by there!!

Ahh very interesting! I was wondering how she looked sunburnt when it's only just turned Spring here and she doesn't get much (if any) direct sunlight into her indoor cage.

I'm confused with Sakura, because as she's a blue fox and her parents were blue fox, she has the 'dark' chinchilla gene then right (cchd would that be?)? But her blue seems very pale to me.

Sorry to hijack the thread :).

Many Rex people disagree on whether to brush or not, some do, some don't, some groom with their hands, or a piece of wool or silk, some use a metal slicker brush. I feel that a poor quality coat could be damaged by brushing, particularly excessive brushing, but a correct quality coat would not. I brush, pluck, and rub my mini rex when their moulting out of paranoia, I lost a favourite buck to woolblock when he was moulting, so I really don't like for them to carry too much dead coat. Rabbits clean themselves like cats, and can ingest quite a bit of fur doing so. It really is an individual thing, with everyone having their own opinion. Mine is everything in moderation.

Latest posts

Back