A Christmas plan

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeniseJP

Reaction score
My school nurse had a call from a student who is going into our GED program - she does not have a good home life and did some jail time for a poor choice she made. She might be 16 or 17.

This girl called out of the blue and asked, "[nurse], could you do me a favor? Could you just mail me a nice note or card as I probably won't get anything this year." Knowing the student and her history, I would say that is the truth so Tim and I are going to send her a Secret Santa gift of a clothing gift card.

The nurse was in tears when she got off the phone. The few of us who were at work late are going to send her a few items... you never know if an act of kindness might make the difference to someone... because someone took the time to care.

I do feel blessed - I also had the opportunity to purchase a gift for another child who had a request on a local agency's "Giving Tree." I hope it makes that child as happy as I was picking the gift out for her.

It took me a long time to realize that sometimes, it is not what the media says you have to have, but the time you take to help one another who might not have anything but a chance.

My coworker and I discussed this child who called the nurse... she is a smart girl who has potential and just made some poor choices - I said children are like flowers - if the right nutrients are not in place, they do not grow.:pink iris: Hopefully the care she will receive from our GED staff will help her blossom and realize her potential.

Merry Christmas!

Denise

what a wonderful thing to do, I agree with you that maybe knowing that someone cares about her will encourage her forwards. I think doing things like that at christmas is what makes christmas all the more special, I used to love doing the shoebox appeal at school, where you would fill a shoebox with little gifts like sweets, toys etc. that would be sent out to kids in places like Africa, it was so nice to know that your donation would make a young child in Africa smile on christmas day.

DeniseJP wrote:
I do feel blessed - I also had the opportunity to purchase a gift for another child
My coworker and I discussed this child who called the nurse... she is a smart girl who has potential and just made some poor choices - I said children are like flowers - if the right nutrients are not in place, they do not grow.:pink iris: Hopefully the care she will receive from our GED staff will help her blossom and realize her potential.

Merry Christmas!

Denise

this is so true. it sounds like your GED :)?) programme could be the best thing to happen to this poor child.

my Rainbows ( youngest members of girlguiding) do shoe boxes every year. it's a small gesture but if we can make them realise that others dont have their advantages, then its a good grounding.

best wishes to this young girl

xx

You absolutely just made my day with this thread. I've become so, so cynical about people and their lack of care for others, and right here, right now, you've restored my belief that there are good people around.

I think your care will make a huge difference to this girl. You're a wonderful person and the world could sure do with more people like you! Maybe we could clone you :D

Think it's a greatChristmas PlanDenise! Can you PM me the address so I can send her a card, may be a bit late for Xmas, but at least she'll get mail!

such a great thing for you to do!!

I know i have a lot of friends who have had my back through it all, but not all that wise at their choices and not really pushed to go anywhere in life. i know how much it means to get a "im proud of you" when they do something small.

Tim and I purchased a little something, marked it "Merry Christmas from a friend" and he delivered it to her house - nobody was home but he put it in the mailbox.

Mission accomplished...it is fun to get to put on angel wings for a moment.

Denise

Flashy wrote:
You absolutely just made my day with this thread. I've become so, so cynical about people and their lack of care for others, and right here, right now, you've restored my belief that there are good people around.

I think your care will make a huge difference to this girl. You're a wonderful person and the world could sure do with more people like you! Maybe we could clone you :D

I agree with all of this post.

You and the others deseve a pat on the back!

You made me smile.:biggrin2:

irishlops wrote:
Flashy wrote:

I agree with all of this post.

You and the others deseve a pat on the back!

You made me smile.:biggrin2:

Thank you but the best part was wearing the wings for a moment. :biggrin2:

And the best thing... anyone can choose to put them on... they are there to be realized and for the taking for flight. Don't need to clone me - we all have the power.:highfive:

Denise

Latest posts

Back