A bunch of (bunny-related) questions.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How many of these can you answer?

• 1 (some)

• 1 (most)

• 1 (all)

• 2 (some)

• 2 (most)

• 2 (all)

• 3 (some)

• 3 (most)

• 3 (all)

• 4 (some)

• 4 (most)

• 4 (all)

• All (if so, only check this box.)

• None

Results are only viewable after voting.

Xila

Reaction score
Okay, these questions are about a bit of everything. Rather than keeping track of over 5 boards scattered across RO, I figure I'd just put it all here. It's easier. However, mods, if this really bothers you, I'll do something.

[align=center] 1. HARNESS
[/align]
I got BunBun a harness...

1a. I know collars aren't good for rabbits, but harnesses are okay, correct?

1b. When I harness train BunBun, it's been about 30 minutes of just the harness, and a few minutes of the harness and lead. (BunBun doesn't like the term "leash".) he gets a little treat after every practice. Tomorrow, I'm aiming for 40 minutes of harness, at least five with the lead. Is this okay, or too fast?

1c. His harness twists a bit if he wears it for a while. No biggie, I just slowly twist it back, but would tightening the harness be the answer to this? I'm terrified of tightening it. D= I don't know what I'd do if BunBun was harmed- especially if it was my fault...

1d. BunBun got out a day or so ago. I felt so helpless! He doesn't like being picked up at all. I had to WAIT for him to go back. That's what led to this whole harness thing. If there was an emergency, and I had to get him out ASAP... I don't know what I'd do. D= I couldn't run out to the garage and get the cat carrior, run all the way back, lure him into his cage, close the door, pick it up, and run outside again... I need to be able to just snap something on him and go!
My question- Am I being paranoid?

1e. With that said, once BunBun is used to the harness, is it okay to leave it on 24/7? I'm assuming no, but it never hurts to check.

1f. When I go to the vet (http://www.drkreger.com), will I need his harness/lead and/or carrior/all of the above?

[align=center] 2. Nutritional stuff
[/align]
2a. Salt wheels and mineral wheels- are they okay? I've read in several places they need the extra salt and stuff, but if both/one isn't good for him, I'll remove it.

2b. I currently have typical cow hay for BunBun. I want to switch his hay to timothy. How much do you recommend I change at a time?

2c. What brand do you recommend for treats/food/hay? Most of my stuff is Kaytee, but I plan to get some oxbow stuff.

2d. Treats... Seeds/nuts/oats/etc... How much, how often?

2e. Treats... yogurt drops/bunny biscuits/craisons/raisons/etc. How much, how often?

[align=center] 3. Hygiene
[/align]
3a. Drying a bunny... Say [BunBun] was to get a cup of water spilled on him, he fell in a puddle, etc, and got all wet. How would I go about drying him? (For future references)

3b. I lost BunBun's ferminator. (Bad Xila!) What else can I use to brush him?

[align=center] 4. Other
[/align]
4a. It tends to get chilly here at night. What can I do (Other than towels on his cage floor and putting a sheet on his cage) to keep him warmer?

4b. BunBun is a spunky, dominant, semi-active diva. If he was to get a girl, what should she be like? (Personality wise)

4c. Buns and music... I know some people leave a radio on for their buns when they aren't there... What do you think about music?

Just answer what you can. Please and thank you. ^^

~Xila

okay, lets see:

1a) harnesses yes, collars no. i also try to get the mesh "vest ones" or the 'H' style, personally the figure 8 ones pull to much on the neck for my liking

1b) as long as he doesn't seem stressed out you should be fine

1c) i think that tightening it would be fine, i like to use the same rule of thumb with dogs and cats as with rabbits, if i can stick 2 fingures in it, it is okay. winnie's harness has to be put on then tighten, and let lose a little to get it off.

1d)no, your not. i would start to work with him on bonding closer to you and him being more comfortable with you holding him. how do you pick him up and hold him? this might be why he doesn't like it

1e) no, just like cats and dogs harnesses should not be left on all the time. it becomes irritating to their skin, and plus he could get it snagged on something while playing and get stuck, possibly thrash around and hurt himself

1f) i personally just use the harness, but winnie doesn't mind me holding her. for vet trips i would use a carrier, and possibly put the harness but not the lead on him, just for easy grabbing

2a) no, don't give it to him, he doesn't need it.

2b) i would change him all the way over and get him off the cow hay stuff. i don't know about you, but up here the cow hay has thisles in it, also i have found milk-weed plants in mine, and as far as i know that is toxic. if he doesn't take right to the timothy hay, then just slowly add more and more to it and take a little bit of the cow hay away each time and he should be fine

2c) i would suggest oxbow first, then kaytee timothy complete, then purina. nothing with colored bits of junk in it either. just pellets

2d) seeds and nuts need to be off the treat list, oats a few flakes once in a while. it depends on your buns energy level. oats are called a "hot" food, meaning they create lots of energy in your bun, if they can't burn off all the energy, then it turns to fat. and fat is bad

2e) craisins and such one a day/every other day. yogurt drops, winnie gets about 1 a week if that. they really aren't that great for buns. i try to treat winnie with veggies, if you make a big deal about giving a sliver of apple, they see it more as a treat

3a) i would suggest towel drying. and let him clean himself up, just make sure if he gets wet he doesn't get to cold

3b) a cat slicker brush works well, just as long as the bristles are to sharp and hard. i have found the easiest way to "brush" a rabbit is by taking damp hands and running them thru the fur, it picks up lots of the hair

4a) give him a box, cut a door in it, and stuff it with hay.

4b) i would say very submissive, but honestly it all depends on the rabbit. try bunny dating before bringing a new bun home for good

4c) music is very helpfull. when i bred, we left a radio on most of the time in the barn, this way when i brought one to the vet, or to shows, ect. they are use to noise. just don't do blaring loud

hope this help!

katie

1a. I know collars aren't good for rabbits, but harnesses are okay, correct?

Many people will have different opinions. I personally have had mine out on a harness. I would never have just a collar.

1b. When I harness train BunBun, it's been about 30 minutes of just the harness, and a few minutes of the harness and lead. (BunBun doesn't like the term "leash".) he gets a little treat after every practice. Tomorrow, I'm aiming for 40 minutes of harness, at least five with the lead. Is this okay, or too fast?

I am on the fence with that one so I will let someone else answer.

1c. His harness twists a bit if he wears it for a while. No biggie, I just slowly twist it back, but would tightening the harness be the answer to this?

The harness should be "cozy"? I can't find the word right now... Anywho, it should be loose. You should be able to fit a finger in properly betweem him and the harness or it is too tight.

1d. BunBun got out a day or so ago. I felt so helpless! He doesn't like being picked up at all. I had to WAIT for him to go back. That's what led to this whole harness thing. If there was an emergency, and I had to get him out ASAP... I don't know what I'd do. D= I couldn't run out to the garage and get the cat carrior, run all the way back, lure him into his cage, close the door, pick it up, and run outside again... I need to be able to just snap something on him and go!

Paranoid? no. Cautious? You should be. I would try and work with him little by little to get him used to being picked up. However, you can also keep a towel nearby and throw it on him. It will stun him and he won't panick, this will give you the time you need to grab him with the towel (keep it over his eyes) and tuck him into the carrier. If at all possible, try to bring the carrier closer. If not, don't go back and forth. Grab the bunny and go, for both your sakes. Make sure that he is easily accessible to you, in terms of caging. So if you have a NIC condo, make sure that if he is on a shelf you can get to him easily.

1e. With that said, once BunBun is used to the harness, is it okay to leave it on 24/7? I'm assuming no, but it never hurts to check.

No, I would never leave it on unattended. Plus, he will try and groom himself and may injure himself. It can get caught, etc...

1f. When I go to the vet (http://www.drkreger.com), will I need his harness/lead and/or carrior/all of the above?

I advise against the harness and lead. Bunnies will stress more due to the transport and you really don't want risking injury. It takes only seconds for a bunny to get hurt.It would also be inconvenient for the vet.

[align=center]2. Nutritional stuff[/align]
[align=center]
2a. Salt wheels and mineral wheels- are they okay? I've read in several places they need the extra salt and stuff, but if both/one isn't good for him, I'll remove it.
[/align]
[align=center]I am not 100% sure about this. I do not use them at all. I have heard that salt wheels only make them more thirsty and can cause problems because of stones, etc. As for a mineral block, I imagine that if they have a proper diet it is unnecessary. If it's for the chewing aspect, I prefer to give them apple sticks and hay etc.[/align]
[align=center]2b. I currently have typical cow hay for BunBun. I want to switch his hay to timothy. How much do you recommend I change at a time?[/align]
[align=center]Personally, I always start off by using it as a treat. It gets their curiosity going and they seem to learn to accept it as a "great food" since it's only a treat... So I'd start off by trying to handfeed a few strands. Then I'd put in a handful into the regular hay, and keep replacing hand fulls every few (4)days or so.

2c. What brand do you recommend for treats/food/hay? Most of my stuff is Kaytee, but I plan to get some oxbow stuff.[/align]
[align=center]I can't recommend anything personally because I have only pretty crappy food here with the exception of Oxbow which I am still waiting for. I have heard great things on it though and it sure seems great statistically.

2d. Treats... Seeds/nuts/oats/etc... How much, how often?[/align]
[align=center]I have never given seeds or nuts. I haven't tried oats yet but I want to. I would only give them sparingly, as in, not daily, and few at a time. They appreciate it more and don't get overweight.

2e. Treats... yogurt drops/bunny biscuits/craisons/raisons/etc. How much, how often?[/align]
[align=center]Again, I am a tough momma. I have long cut all yogurt drops, and anything else store bought (with the exception of one crunchy candy with a fruit centre). I much prefer to give them fresh fruit and veggies. They get a slice every day or two. Craisins they may get once a week or so. I haven't given raisins.

[/align]
[align=center]3. Hygiene
[/align]
3a. Drying a bunny... Say [BunBun] was to get a cup of water spilled on him, he fell in a puddle, etc, and got all wet. How would I go about drying him? (For future references)
I would towel dry. If it's a bit chilly, I will use a towel fresh from the dryer (I put it in 5 mins or so) and towel dry. I tend to put a blanket over the cage and let them work out the rest.
If it works just like the others have said then maybe nothing might be good enough :pHowever, I don't have one and so I use brushes found in the kitten area. I have a round rubber one that works well. i usually wet it a bit before so that the fur sticks better. You can also wet your hands and do it that way.
[align=center]4. Other
[/align]
4a. It tends to get chilly here at night. What can I do (Other than towels on his cage floor and putting a sheet on his cage) to keep him warmer?
I don't think that it would be that cold in your house to cause a problem. The main problem is drafts. But if it's just cold, I am sure the bunny could be fine, especially since the temperature will gradually drop. In fact, I'd probably not towel the cage myself just not to cause any drastic changes in temperature and keep it well ventilated. Maybe someone else can tell me if this is wrong...
4b. BunBun is a spunky, dominant, semi-active diva. If he was to get a girl, what should she be like? (Personality wise)
Haha, unfortunately... There really is no answer. For my girl, I went with a boy with the same personality. Instant love. On the other hand, my "munster" was reduced to a bundle of love by a complete opposite... She even lets her dominate her whereas before she would attack anyone in sight. I think the best way is to let your bun pick. Lots of shelters are more than happy to help with bunny dates.
4c. Buns and music... I know some people leave a radio on for their buns when they aren't there... What do you think about music?
I leave mine music, but they are Animal Planet addicts. Hihi. My kitten likes to jump at the TV when she sees dogs, wolves, and meerkats. I never heard them complainabout my musical tastes though :p

Hi, you've already gotten some good answers so I'll just leave a couple from my own experience :)...

Harnesses: I am definitely anti-harness. It's hard because a rabbit likes to"march to the beat ofhis own drum" andifhe bolts whilst in a harness, you can't hang on to the leash because the resulting yank would most likely cause injury. BUT....there are alooooooot of opinions on harnesses. I used to hear and read horror stories of harness incidents but figured that if I was careful that I had nothing to worry about. Then my rabbit had a horrible incident resulting in a screaming bunny and a loss of trust for a while. So the only thing you can really do here is know what can happen good and bad, and use your best judgement.

Salt wheels: I've read that they do not require a wheel for supplement, I'll look for the link. But before I knew that, I did have a wheel for one of my buns and he really liked it. Didn't seem to cause any ill effects. :?

katt wrote:
okay, lets see:

1a) harnesses yes, collars no. i also try to get the mesh "vest ones" or the 'H' style, personally the figure 8 ones pull to much on the neck for my liking

I think BunBun has a mesh vest one.

1b) as long as he doesn't seem stressed out you should be fine

Okay. ^^

1c) i think that tightening it would be fine, i like to use the same rule of thumb with dogs and cats as with rabbits, if i can stick 2 fingures in it, it is okay. winnie's harness has to be put on then tighten, and let lose a little to get it off.

Thanks.

1d)no, your not. i would start to work with him on bonding closer to you and him being more comfortable with you holding him. how do you pick him up and hold him? this might be why he doesn't like it

I've tried every way immaginable (except the towl thing). No matter what I do, he struggles and fights untill I put him down.
You might be right, it mught be a trust thing.

1e) no, just like cats and dogs harnesses should not be left on all the time. it becomes irritating to their skin, and plus he could get it snagged on something while playing and get stuck, possibly thrash around and hurt himself

I thought leaving a harness on seemed kinda odd. ^^ Thanks for the confermation.

1f) i personally just use the harness, but winnie doesn't mind me holding her. for vet trips i would use a carrier, and possibly put the harness but not the lead on him, just for easy grabbing

Thanks.

2a) no, don't give it to him, he doesn't need it.

Thanks. Again, I thought it seemed a bit odd for a rabbit to have salt and mineral licks. ^^

2b) i would change him all the way over and get him off the cow hay stuff. i don't know about you, but up here the cow hay has thisles in it, also i have found milk-weed plants in mine, and as far as i know that is toxic. if he doesn't take right to the timothy hay, then just slowly add more and more to it and take a little bit of the cow hay away each time and he should be fine

We do get some milkweek pods in our hay. I try my hardest to avoid them,and if I see something in the hay I usually pick it out. Thanks, though, I'll try my best to completly switch him over to the timothy.

2c) i would suggest oxbow first, then kaytee timothy complete, then purina. nothing with colored bits of junk in it either. just pellets

Thanks. I'll look them up.

2d) seeds and nuts need to be off the treat list, oats a few flakes once in a while. it depends on your buns energy level. oats are called a "hot" food, meaning they create lots of energy in your bun, if they can't burn off all the energy, then it turns to fat. and fat is bad

Thanks.

2e) craisins and such one a day/every other day. yogurt drops, winnie gets about 1 a week if that. they really aren't that great for buns. i try to treat winnie with veggies, if you make a big deal about giving a sliver of apple, they see it more as a treat

Yeah. I usually give BunBun fruit ot veggie treats. I only give yougert drops if it was something new or stressful (For instance, on BunBun's first day of harness training he got a yougert drop.)

3a) i would suggest towel drying. and let him clean himself up, just make sure if he gets wet he doesn't get to cold

Thanks.

3b) a cat slicker brush works well, just as long as the bristles are to sharp and hard. i have found the easiest way to "brush" a rabbit is by taking damp hands and running them thru the fur, it picks up lots of the hair

Again, thanks.

4a) give him a box, cut a door in it, and stuff it with hay.

Thanks, I'll try that. ^^

4b) i would say very submissive, but honestly it all depends on the rabbit. try bunny dating before bringing a new bun home for good

I've heard of that. Unfourtinatly, the closest bunny shelter to me if several hours away. o_O I'll try to locate a closer one, thoguh.

4c) music is very helpfull. when i bred, we left a radio on most of the time in the barn, this way when i brought one to the vet, or to shows, ect. they are use to noise. just don't do blaring loud

^^ Thanks.

hope this help!

katie

"1a. I know collars aren't good for rabbits, but harnesses are okay, correct?

Many people will have different opinions. I personally have had mine out on a harness. I would never have just a collar.

I thoguht so. I think someone said collars could cloak them, and the harnesses spread out the tension, or something like that.

I am on the fence with that one so I will let someone else answer.

1c. His harness twists a bit if he wears it for a while. No biggie, I just slowly twist it back, but would tightening the harness be the answer to this?

The harness should be "cozy"? I can't find the word right now... Anywho, it should be loose. You should be able to fit a finger in properly betweem him and the harness or it is too tight.

Okay. ^^ If I recall, that's about the same with a dog's collar, correct?

Paranoid? no. Cautious? You should be. I would try and work with him little by little to get him used to being picked up. However, you can also keep a towel nearby and throw it on him. It will stun him and he won't panick, this will give you the time you need to grab him with the towel (keep it over his eyes) and tuck him into the carrier. If at all possible, try to bring the carrier closer. If not, don't go back and forth. Grab the bunny and go, for both your sakes. Make sure that he is easily accessible to you, in terms of caging. So if you have a NIC condo, make sure that if he is on a shelf you can get to him easily.

Thanks.

No, I would never leave it on unattended. Plus, he will try and groom himself and may injure himself. It can get caught, etc...

I thoguht as much. Thanks for the back up.

I advise against the harness and lead. Bunnies will stress more due to the transport and you really don't want risking injury. It takes only seconds for a bunny to get hurt.It would also be inconvenient for the vet.

Thanks.

[align=center]2. Nutritional stuff[/align]
[align=center]
[/align]
[align=center]I am not 100% sure about this. I do not use them at all. I have heard that salt wheels only make them more thirsty and can cause problems because of stones, etc. As for a mineral block, I imagine that if they have a proper diet it is unnecessary. If it's for the chewing aspect, I prefer to give them apple sticks and hay etc.[/align]
[align=center]
[/align][align=center]Thanks.
[/align]
[align=center]2b. I currently have typical cow hay for BunBun. I want to switch his hay to timothy. How much do you recommend I change at a time?[/align]
[align=center]Personally, I always start off by using it as a treat. It gets their curiosity going and they seem to learn to accept it as a "great food" since it's only a treat... So I'd start off by trying to handfeed a few strands. Then I'd put in a handful into the regular hay, and keep replacing hand fulls every few (4)days or so.
[/align][align=center]
[/align][align=center]
[/align][align=center] 2c. What brand do you recommend for treats/food/hay? Most of my stuff is Kaytee, but I plan to get some oxbow stuff.[/align]
[align=center]I can't recommend anything personally because I have only pretty crappy food here with the exception of Oxbow which I am still waiting for. I have heard great things on it though and it sure seems great statistically.[/align][align=center]Yeah, I've heard that, too. ^^ I tink when BunBun's current food runs down, I'll get some oxbow...[/align][align=center] 2d. Treats... Seeds/nuts/oats/etc... How much, how often?[/align]
[align=center]I have never given seeds or nuts. I haven't tried oats yet but I want to. I would only give them sparingly, as in, not daily, and few at a time. They appreciate it more and don't get overweight.
[/align][align=center]Thanks.[/align][align=center]
2e. Treats... yogurt drops/bunny biscuits/craisons/raisons/etc. How much, how often?[/align]
[align=center]Again, I am a tough momma. I have long cut all yogurt drops, and anything else store bought (with the exception of one crunchy candy with a fruit centre). I much prefer to give them fresh fruit and veggies. They get a slice every day or two. Craisins they may get once a week or so. I haven't given raisins.
[/align]
[align=center]3. Hygiene
[/align]
I would towel dry. If it's a bit chilly, I will use a towel fresh from the dryer (I put it in 5 mins or so) and towel dry. I tend to put a blanket over the cage and let them work out the rest.

Thanks.
If it works just like the others have said then maybe nothing might be good enough :pHowever, I don't have one and so I use brushes found in the kitten area. I have a round rubber one that works well. i usually wet it a bit before so that the fur sticks better. You can also wet your hands and do it that way.

Thanks, I'll go to the store soon and see what our kitty department has.
[align=center]4. Other
[/align]
I don't think that it would be that cold in your house to cause a problem. The main problem is drafts. But if it's just cold, I am sure the bunny could be fine, especially since the temperature will gradually drop. In fact, I'd probably not towel the cage myself just not to cause any drastic changes in temperature and keep it well ventilated. Maybe someone else can tell me if this is wrong...
Haha, unfortunately... There really is no answer. For my girl, I went with a boy with the same personality. Instant love. On the other hand, my "munster" was reduced to a bundle of love by a complete opposite... She even lets her dominate her whereas before she would attack anyone in sight. I think the best way is to let your bun pick. Lots of shelters are more than happy to help with bunny dates.

Yeah. Bunnies can be so unpredicatble. xP
See the question above regarding bunny dates.
I leave mine music, but they are Animal Planet addicts. Hihi. My kitten likes to jump at the TV when she sees dogs, wolves, and meerkats. I never heard them complainabout my musical tastes though :p"

xD Thanks."

"Hi, you've already gotten some good answers so I'll just leave a couple from my own experience :)...

Harnesses: I am definitely anti-harness. It's hard because a rabbit likes to"march to the beat ofhis own drum" andifhe bolts whilst in a harness, you can't hang on to the leash because the resulting yank would most likely cause injury. BUT....there are alooooooot of opinions on harnesses. I used to hear and read horror stories of harness incidents but figured that if I was careful that I had nothing to worry about. Then my rabbit had a horrible incident resulting in a screaming bunny and a loss of trust for a while. So the only thing you can really do here is know what can happen good and bad, and use your best judgement.

Thanks.

Salt wheels: I've read that they do not require a wheel for supplement, I'll look for the link. But before I knew that, I did have a wheel for one of my buns and he really liked it. Didn't seem to cause any ill effects."

I know waht you mean. BunBun has had his salt wheel since the day I brought him home, and he is fine. Nevertheless, thoguh, I'll remove it.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Ok...I'll answer what I can...:)

Can't answer too much on harnesses, as I've never tried to put one on any of my buns...

But...

[align=center] 2. Nutritional stuff
[/align]

Buns don't need salt wheels or mineral wheels, so you don't have to worry about that. They get plenty of salt and minerals from their food and water. :)

2b. I currently have typical cow hay for BunBun. I want to switch his hay to timothy. How much do you recommend I change at a time?

You should do it semi-gradually. You'd probably be fine switching all at once, but bun's tummies can be sensitive, so maybe mix the hays for a week, and then switch completely to the Timothy.

2c. What brand do you recommend for treats/food/hay? Most of my stuff is Kaytee, but I plan to get some oxbow stuff.

TREATS: I don't recommend treats from pet stores. You can, however, give your buns (very limited) raisins, some banana, some oats (be careful, they can put on weight QUICK with oats), craisins (dried cranberries), and various other fruits and veggies. Just be sure to check the Safe Fruits and Veggies lists in the Vegetables thread in the Bunny 101 section of the Lagomorph Library here on the forum. (You can also find lots of other helpful articles there.)

PELLET FOOD: Though I find Kaytee Timothy Complete to be a wonderful timothy-based pellet food for adult buns (and bun slaves on a budget), I do like Oxbow Bunny Basics T better, for it's healthier content, if you can afford it. :)

Also, check out the thread on Pellets in the Library.

HAY: A good bale of Timothy hay is best as far as the daily hay given to your bun. Although, it's also good to give them a variety of different kinds of hay...like brome grass, orchard grass, oat hay, etc. To know which kinds of hays are good for buns, you can reference what kinds of hay Oxbow has on the market. :)

Also, check out the thread on Hay: All About It in the Library...as well as the thread on Feeding Your Rabbit. :)

2d. Treats... Seeds/nuts/oats/etc... How much, how often?

Keep treats to a minimum...and they should not contain either seeds, nuts, or corn. These are potentially fatal to buns.

As a general rule of thumb, I recommend staying away from petstore-bought treats altogether. I have yet to find any that aren't harmful to buns.

Check out this article's mention of treats and such at the bottom of the article. I'll quote it here:
DON'T FEED POTENTIALLY HARMFUL "TREATS" Remember: a rabbit is a lagomorph, not a rodent or a primate. The rabbit digestive tract is physiologically more similar to that of a horse than to that of a rodent or primate, and the intestine and related organs can suffer from an overindulgence in starchy, fatty foods. NEVER feed your rabbit commercial "gourmet" or "treat" mixes filled with dried fruit, nuts and seeds. These may be safe for a bird or hamster--BUT THEY ARE NOT PROPER FOOD FOR A RABBIT. The sole function of "rabbit gourmet treats" is to lighten your wallet. If the manufacturers of "gourmet rabbit treats" truly cared about your rabbit's health and longevity, they would not market such products.
Don't feed your rabbit cookies, crackers, nuts, seeds, breakfast cereals (including oatmeal) or "high fiber" cereals. They may be high fiber for you, but not for your herbivorous rabbit, who's far better able to completely digest celluose ("dietary fiber") than you are. Fed to a rabbit, the high fat and simple carbohydrate content of "naughty foods" may contribute to fatty liver disease, cecal dysbiosis, obesity, and otherwise cause health problems.

A SPECIAL NOTE ABOUT CORN AND OTHER SEEDS Some types of seeds (especially things like "Canadian peas" and corn kernels) have hulls that are indigestible to a rabbit, and can cause life-threatening intestinal impactions/blockages. Corn, fresh or dried, is NOT safe for rabbits. The hull of corn kernels is composed of a complex polysaccharide (not cellulose and pectin, of which plant cell walls are more commonly composed, and which a rabbit can digest) which rabbits cannot digest. We know of more than one rabbit who suffered intestinal impactions because of the indigestible corn hulls. After emergency medical treatment, when the poor rabbits finally passed the corn, their fecal pellets were nearly solid corn hulls! Those rabbits were lucky.

2e. Treats... yogurt drops/bunny biscuits/craisons/raisons/etc. How much, how often?

Raisins and craisins can be given to buns, but sparingly, in my opinion. Other people give them more frequently (some even daily), but I have a habit of not giving them very often, as buns can get quite spoiled and start to EXPECT them, hehe! But, honestly, that's really up to you.

I don't give my buns yogurt drops or bunny biscuits...I like to stick to the basic dietary needs as much as possible. I don't know how good or bad either of those things are for buns...though I suspect they're not all that great.

[align=center] 3. Hygiene
[/align]

You can towel dry your bun. If he lets you pick him up, just put a towel on your lap, and Bun Bun on top, and dry him off using the sides of the towel (and the towel being underneath should help, too).

I haven't tried any other way to dry my buns, or I would have more suggestions for that one! :)

You can use a Zoom Groom, a wire bristle brush that has a rubber base (where the bristles go into the brush...just be careful of your buns' skin, as it might get irritated by the bristles), or even a regular ol' flea comb. :)

Also, check out the Brushing and Grooming thread in the Library.

[align=center] 4. Other
[/align]

I like to leave music or the tv on for our babies when we leave the house. When Fiver first came home with us, we had to put on a radio at night for him, too, as he was still in survival/scared bun mode, and thumped all during the night, during the quiet. :)

As a final note, check out our Lagomorph Library! It has so much wonderful information! There's a section for health issue, and a section on bunny care in general...and LOADS of helpful articles! Why, you can even find other Rabbits Online threads in each subject, so you can see how others have handled this or that. :)

Hope all that helps! :)

Rosie*

Back