A bit overwhelmed by the choices in hay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a storage tub and thats where a lot of it is at... but i didnt even think of putting holes in it lol. the tub is so pretty i dont wanna :( *pouts* lol but i will, thanks again Orlena

Thanks everyone!

Harriet had a vet appointment this morning and he suggested Oxbow products. I picked up a small bag of the garden variety timothy mix and she's pleased and the vet approves so we're sticking with that.

Right now the plan is to buy a few big bags of the regular western timothy and buy the small bags of anything "flavored" or mixed to spice it up some.

Hello Everybun! We are the suppliers of Crazy Tasty Hay for bunnies. I love the idea of bunny parents going out and getting bales of hay for their bunnies. The more hay, the healthier the bunny! That is why we ship entire bales of hay.
What we have done is actually taste-tested hays on over 100 house rabbits before ever granting the Crazy Tasty Hay brand to them. In order to receive this brand, the hay must have overwhelming bunny approval. We have gone through over 100 different bales of hay, just this spring to be sure the hay we supply is irresistable to buns. Of the 100 bales, only 2 knocked our bunny socks off. After that, we get the lab analysys done to be sure it is not only tasty, but high quality and healthy for house rabbits.
Then, we package it up in sizes that are manageable to bunny parents. This happens to be large bags because many bunny people live in apartments and cannot store an entire bale of hay, or only have one bunny.
We also have to advertise our product to let other bunny parents know that there is a special hay out there that is made just for bunnies. It is not a feed hay for horses or cows. It is an extremly high quality hay.
So all this together is a lot of work. We started this bunny venture because we love rabbits and wanted bunnies worldwide to have a better hay.
If you DO go to your local farmer and are able to find a hay that delights your bunny, that is wonderful! Fresh hay is the BEST! But please remember to ask about sprays and preservatives. One common preservative is proprionic acid and is very damaging to rabbits. It is on most alfalfa hays, and many feed hays.
So when you see the price of hay, just remember that our hay has been taste-tested by many rabbits, quality tested in the lab, and free of pesticides and preservatives.
To all those who have tried our hay, thank you for your support!
:)

mimosa wrote:
Thanks everyone!

Harriet had a vet appointment this morning and he suggested Oxbow products. I picked up a small bag of the garden variety timothy mix and she's pleased and the vet approves so we're sticking with that.

Right now the plan is to buy a few big bags of the regular western timothy and buy the small bags of anything "flavored" or mixed to spice it up some.

:thumbup

Piglet II wrote:
If you DO go to your local farmer and are able to find a hay that delights your bunny, that is wonderful! Fresh hay is the BEST! But please remember to ask about sprays and preservatives. One common preservative is proprionic acid and is very damaging to rabbits. It is on most alfalfa hays, and many feed hays.

I never thought to see if anything was sprayed on the timothy hay bale I bought. I just assumed it would be safe from a feed store. I'll have to be sure to ask about that.

I've had my bale for 4 months now and the inner part is still green - just the part the sun hits is brown. As my bale began to come apart, I put most of the remaining bale in 3 large plastic bins. Humidity here is usually low to zero, so mold isn't too much of a concern. I'm afraid to drill holes though. I'm more afraid of scorpions or spiders getting in the hay. :nerves1

I was stripping our futon today to wash the cover and a HUGE spider had made a web right under the mattress. We stared at each other for a short while then I slowly replaced the mattress and walked away. :whistling

Our rabbits get timothy hay from a guy my husband works with. It's free so we're not complaining lol. He gives us an 80lb bale every 2 weeks

Holy cow; 80lbs every 2 weeks. Om nom nom! What kind of rabbits are your wee ones to eat so much hay? :D hehe

Latest posts

Back