A 2nd Chance

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyBoyHarper

Reaction score
This will be Chance's blog, updated withpictures and stories of his recovery from neglect. Since yesterday,Chance has become all along the US through the rescue website, masse-mailings to members of the rescue, and on the rescue's MySpaceaccount where many have already sent him well wishes and get well soonbanners.

Here's the story of Chance:

The local pound called the rescue the othermorning and saidthey hada rabbit for us to pick up. We've gotten rabbits fromthem before, so no big deal. I told my friend I was in the area, Iwould grab this one. The pound said it was found by a lady who had seenhim wandering the woods behind her house. She captured him and boughthim to the pound, and then the pound called us.

So, I get there around noon knowing nothing more than it was a lopearred. I pull around the back and they told me he was in cage 9. Iwalk down to cage 9, and find achinchilla colored male minilop. I said, awww, you're cute, and put him in the carrier. When I gotto the truck, I took him out to get a better look at him. And I washorrified.

He is covered in mats and urine scald. It was absolutely horrendous. Helooked sick, so I rushed him to my vet who doesn't charge much when webring in rescues. He did several tests and a fecal. The poor thing iscompletely dehydrated, malnourished, very anemic with a rock bottomiron count. He had poopy butt, but the tests came back negative forcoccidia. After doing tests, the vet said that his stomach andintestines are pure water, no solid feces. He said it's most likely dueto a bad diet, because he also tested negative for parasites.

He had a good bit of blood in his feces, and after more testing, thevet found his intestines were inflammed and purely raw. And he also hadno rabbit food in his stomach. He was most likely being fed somethingother than rabbit food and this highly irritated his intestines. He'sbeen grinding his teeth, and got worse at the vets. The vet didn't wanthim on pain medicines because it may make things worse.

So, he's on regular pellets now and nutrical. He's due back in the veton Wednesday. He's somewhat lethargic and really doesn't feel well atall. The vet, as well as me, were outraged that someone could do thisto a rabbit. They set him 'free' and we're glad. And I'm glad theperson who found him took him to the pound so that we could now havehim to take care of.

We lovingly named him Chance (because I am giving him a big 2nd chanceat a good life). Here's Chance, before me taking out the mats andgiving him a bath. The brown is NOT his actual color, that is urinestains. Pathetic huh?

IMG_3278.jpg

IMG_3280.jpg

IMG_3281.jpg

IMG_3286.jpg

I will update later with some more pictures now that Chance's back andbutt have been shaved, he's been bathed, and had his nails clipped.

do you think he was littertrained? if he was, it seems weird that someonewould go through all the trouble to train him and thennottake care of him. could he have been lost or arunaway?

either way, looks like he's lucky that lady found him just in time! keep up the good work!

I doubt he was litter trained with the amount ofurine he was covered in. He was most likely never taught. Most rabbitspick a corner to use the bathroom in and keep it that way. I stuck apan in the corner, with no beddig anywhere else in the cage. He decidedto do his business where the litter was, instead of where he sleeps.Many rabbits do it that way. I have two others that were not littertrained at all, but began using the pan instantly.

If he was a runaway or an escapee (which I doubt either are the case),whoever hadhim doesn't need him back, nor will they ever gethim back. The condition he was in was sickening and horrifying, and thevet only gave him about a 60% chance of survival. His intestines are soinflammed, we're worried about stasis and infection. Hopefully the medswork and he'll be fine.

... so I am now completely in love. This littleguy is something special. Something VERY special. I just melt when Ilook into his eyes, and I have never felt some of these feelings beforewhen looking at a rabbit. I swear, it's like him coming to me was meantto be.

I just spent an hour outside clipping him some more, as we didn'tfinish yesterday because after 2 hours, I didn't want to stress himout. During the entire hour, he did not kick, bite, or fuss about beingon his back, side, or me pulling his feetout some to clip thematts. He just sat there patiently and when I put him down for asecond, he would clean his little face and ears like; "I can get thispart mom, I'm a big boy!"

Then, I would continue clipping him, and he would just sit there. Twiceduring clipping him this evening, he licked my arm and I just melted. Ieven nicked his little skin, not too bad, and he didn't fuss. He justmoved his leg a little as if to say, "oops, you got me!"

I'm so in love with him, he is truly a miracle, a heart breaker, and aheart bunny. I'll say now, parting with him may never happen. He's oneof those little miracles I feel justcame into my life for areason. I look at him andI see something so special. And whenI pick him up, he doesn't fuss. He just clings onto me and is socontent being in loving arms.

Onto another note, I'll be posting some updated pictures of himtonight. He got some new toys earlier, so I'll take some pics once Igive them to him. The stains on his ears won't come off, neither willthe stickiness. I'm just going to have to wipe them a couple times aday until the stains loosen up. Same with his feet and tail. The mattswent so deep, you only see grey hair whenever you get to the very skinitself. In some places, even the skin was stained brown, but I was ableto wipe some of it away.

Stay tuned for pics!

MBH, he sounds like quite the adorable bunny, he is very lucky you came along.

Has he seen Harper today? I'd love to see pictures of the two of them.

I'm curious, I know you said you are in college, are you takinganything animal related? I truly think this is your calling,I hope for all the animals out there you are in the animal field.

Susan and the Gang:bunnydance::apollo::bunny19:bunnyheart

Susan, Harper has seen him, but not up close.Chance is running around on my bed right now, I just took a fewpictures, which I'll post in just one second.

I was a pre-vet major, but I was flunking the sciences and maths.SoI switched to journalism, because it was only one simplebasic math and a bunch of easy courses. That's not working out too welleither, and I am about to put in my notice to the college to withdraw.I'll probably re-enroll again in a few years, maybe at the communitycollege.

I'd still love to major in something animal related one day. :D

So Chance has been running around on the bedtonight, and he is in heaven! He even jumped in my lap a few times, andhas absolutely melted whenever he gets his nose rubs and headscratches. Have I mentioned at all that I am in love?

There's no doubt in my mind that he is just so happy now. You can lookat him and see how relaxed and excited he is. It's so amazing...

Without further ado, pictures! (yay!)

IMG_3334.jpg

IMG_3335.jpg

IMG_3337.jpg

IMG_3338.jpg

IMG_3342.jpg

IMG_3345.jpg

IMG_3351.jpg

It was worth the wait. He is adorable. How much does he weigh, he looks big?

Susan and the Gang:apollo::bunny19:bunnyheart:rabbithop

Hey all, Chance here! Mom's been flashing this bright flashy thing in my face for the last hour. Jeez mom, quit already!

Gosh, I am so happy here! My new mommy says that I am such a pretty boyand that she thinks I am handsome! She went out today and bought me abunch of new toys, gosh I can't wait to get them. I still feel kind ofsick, but my mommy is taking really good care of me. She told meearlier I was special and that made me feel so good.

My tummy still hurts but it's getting a lot better. I love all the haymommy has been giving me too, it's so yummy! Well, I better go! Here'ssome more pictures mommy took of me earlier!

Check out my legs, they're purty huh? They're still a little dirty, but mommy said she's gonna get them clean soon...

IMG_3354.jpg

IMG_3355.jpg

I got really curious and wanted to see what mommy was doing on this thing she calls a 'computer'...

IMG_3360.jpg

Isn't my face adorable?? Mommy says it's so kissable...

IMG_3372.jpg

IMG_3376.jpg

IMG_3377.jpg

IMG_3378.jpg

That's all for now, bye guys!!

- Love, Chance

Susan, I'm not sure how much he weights, I haven't gotten him weighed yet. I really need to...

He's big boned, but not 'big' weight wise at all. The vet said he wasmalnoruished, and a lot of what you see is fur. Lots and lots of fur. Ialmost wonder if he isn't a minilop crossed with a fuzzy lop. His chestand stomach is very very thick fur. Of all the minilops I've seen, he'sthe fuzziest. Not much meat on him though, but we're working on that.:cool:

MyBoyHarper wrote:

That is so cute!!!!!!!! Look at his little face awwwwwwww he's so adorable, what a brave little man.
It's amazing how some animals that are in trouble just seemto know you there to help, he must really trust you... what a lucky boyto finally find someone who's ready to help him, care for him and lovehim.
Goodluck Chance, I wish you a speedy recovery!

Thanks Bangbang, that little face can melt anyone!

Since I took pictures of his back and legs when I first got him, I'llpost some updated pictures tomorrow showing his back now shaved and hislegs dematted.

Update on Chance health wise, his dehydration is getting a lot betterand is not nearly asbad. His poops are now nice and formed,not nearly as mushy thanks to the added fiber. His gums arestilla bit white, but getting more color to them compared toyesterday. Chance is due for a checkup on Wednesday pending no furtherproblemsbefore then.

Angela, every single person I have showed allthose pics to, that particular picture is their absolute favorite! Weeven put that one up on the rescue website. He has such a cute,kissable face.

Chance went out for his romp around the yardearlier, yay! He seemed to enjoy himself, tasting various grasses. Onething I noticed that I didn't like was, he was extremely stiff legged.I noticed this somewhat last night, and worse today. He hops very...stiff legged. No other way to explain it really. Basically, he hopsfunny.

He's going back to the vet in the morning anyways. His gums and tongueis still solid white and the vet was hoping that with his pellets, hay,and nutrical, that the color would improve in a day or so. If anything,it's gotten paler. I've also noticed today that he's a bit morelethargic. He still has his appetite though, so that's a good sign.

He also pee'd red last night (which I posted in the infirmary) however,today his pee appears back to normal. *Whew*. Given the lethargy, whitegums, and stiff legs, we're due back for another vet visit anyways.Poor guy, everyone that has seen him today said they can tell instantlythat he feels really bad.

Latest posts

Back