A 2-Bun household becoming 1 again

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have had my Chloe (mini-lop) for just over 3 years now. I got my Honey bunny (lionhead) a week and a half ago; she was only 12.5 weeks old. Just yesterday Honey had a case of diahrrea so I took her to the vet but they apperantly didn't help her much since she passed away only 10 minutes or so once I got her home. I have kept the two rabbits in seperate cages, but they are kind of close to each other. What should I do in order to clean thouroughly so my (seemingly) healthy bunny does not get sick and die like poor Honey? Was it even a bacterial infection that got to her? How did one rabbit get sick and the other one didn't? I have been blessed since my Chloe has never gotten sick... ever. Now that I had a bun get sick and die, I am now in unfamiliar territory, I don't really know what to do to make sure my surviving bunny can live a long happy life without the risk of picking up whatever Honey had died from.:(

Oh no... so sorry for your loss. :(

What tests and treatment did the vet do? Did he/she determine why she haddiarrhea?

Were her stools totally liquid?

Where did you get her from?

Sometimes young bunnies can beso delicate, just the change to a new home can be a problem. New diets, stress, a lowered immune system, etc, can all contribute to problems that won'taffectChloe.

But it could also have been a parasite like coccidia, in which case you do have to disinfect everything I think with a bleach solution.

Check out the Library information, here:

Diarrhea

It is important to determine the cause.

Again, so sorry.

sas :sad:

I'm really sorry !
I just recently lost my bun Gabriel from an illness that turned out to be really serious.
What kinds of tests did the vet do? Did they diagnose your little one?
is it possible to take his cage outside and clean it with a bleach solution, hose it of very well and allow it to dry in the sun?
If you need to keep things in the house you should move Chloe out of the room so the fumes of the cleaning material won't hurt her.
I would do this as a precaution despite the diagnosis.
it"s possible that your bun developed enteritis which is fairly common in young rabbits and does cause a sudden death.

Do you want to make a post in the rainbow bridge section on your little baby. Sometimes it helps to make the loss feel like you are not alone with your feelings of being sad.?

Maureen

I have no idea what tests the vet did. I had never gone to that vet before since its just an after hours emergency place, I never had an emergency before! The vet didnt seem to care about her at all, they didnt tell me what they did with her or what she was sick from. My guess is they didnt really do anything since she died so quickly after coming home.
It looked like her cage had two spots of diarrhea and it looked like the consistancy thick melty fudge, so it wasnt pure liquid but it still didnt look good at all!
I got her from a Petland in the Columbus, OH area. She was eating fine and all normal for the week and a half that i had her, I would be shocked if it was just the stress that caused the diahrrea. I went to take Chloe for a visit to a vet today to make sure shes all healthy and the vet said they sadly see a lot of paracites infecting baby bunnies from pet stores and the way that she had died fits the classic signs of the parasite but since shes burried now theres no real way to know.
I live in a studio apartment so cleaning the cage without Chloe nearby is close to impossible; we have no hoses or anything I could do outside either, but I cleaned the cage with a rabbit cage clean spray that I have and I will most likely not be getting a new bun any time soon and I will definitly be cleaning the cage again before a new bun joins me. I am only 20 years old so I can still take the cage back to my parents' house for a more thorough cleaning; will definitly try washing things down with a bleach solution there and not here.

My vet asked me to bring back a stool sample from Chloe to analyze to make sure she does not have any parasites in her; hopefully she'll get a clean bill of health and this will all be one sad, unfortunate tragic accident.
Rest in Peace lil Honey bunny.

Thanks for the advice and the posts. I appreciate the help

I'm so sorry for your loss :(.

If your petland is anything like ones locally to me, she probably wasn't in the best of health to begin with. They often go through a lot of stress with being in the petstore environment, being around other bunnies, and weaning too young. Sometimes the breeders that supply the stores may be questionable as well with the health of their rabbits. Was 12.5 the posted age? I've seen on more than one occasion the age drastically over stated.. so they try to sell a 4 week old as a 10 week old.

You're doing great for preventative measures.. any number of factors could have been involved with poor Honey. So sorry you had to go through this :(.

Nice to see you back on the forum!

I'm glad that you are getting Chloe tested but your little one most likely came from bad conditions and it caught up with him.

I used to live in a studio apt so I know how impossible it is to separate anyone from anyone else. You can do the best that you can do and maybe finish it at your mom's.
let us know how Chloe's test turn out

Maureen

Back