6week old his stools are a mix of normal and soft

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

popple

Reaction score
I'm in west yorkshire

and ichabod is all black we dont know what breed he is the shop didnt say, he's about 7 weeks old and hes male

He's well in himself hopping around, he has a fat belly but is pretty bony. his poo was fine earlier but now it's turned runny and smelly. It's not like water it still has some substance. There's so much on the internet im starting to get lost in myself, i was worried that he wasn't fat enough but then people were saying all the energy is focused on getting bigger not gaining weight. I just know that his poo shouldnt be like this, now and again he has a normal hard round poo and i get relieved until its runny again. He's still eating and drinking but i know rabbits can go downhill fast. It's 7:30 in the evening and i dont know wether to call a vet out since he's fine in himself. But im no expert which is why i'm asking here.

Please help?

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION / CHECK LIST: (Please fill in relevant info).

Fecal and Urinary Output

- are the bunny's poops and pees normal? poo's the problem, he's still urinating
- when did they last use their litterbox?
- what litter and/or bedding do you use? he has just ordinary shavings on the floor

Medical History

none that im aware of i've only had him since last wednesday

Diet

- what specifically does your bunny eat?:burgess excel, hay is offered.
- when and what did s/he eat last?:about half an hour ago, the excel pellets
- any changes in the way s/he eats? (ie: not eating a particular food, odd chewing motions, etc): no

- movement - any unusual movements? Is s/he hopping normally?
- is the rabbit molting?
- any weight loss?
- any sign of drooling? wet face?
- runny eyes?
- wet nose? coughing? sneezing?
- is s/he breathing normally

He's fine in himself behaviour wise

plants, chocolate or other substances within reach?
- has the rabbit been outdoors?
- any other pets? if so, have they been ill?

Nope

I would call a vet because young bunnies can go downhill very fast when runny stool is involved.

The first thing to do is make sure he's well hydrated. That means giving him another water option--a bowl if he has a bottle, or a bottle if he has a bowl. Some bunnies prefer one over the other and since he's newer you may not have figured it out yet. It took me literally a year to find out that my Tony liked to drink out of a bottle because I never tried a traditional bottle. Also, put out a bowl of pedialyte/dioralyte, an infant rehydration drink.

Give him some probiotic. Bene-Bac is good and can be gotten at pet stores here. I'm not sure what they have in the UK, but I think Bio-Lapis or Fibre Plex are what they're called? If you can't find those, get a dried acidophilus or other probiotic product--usually in a capsule for humans--from the pharmacy. It has to be non-milk-based.

Stop feeding anything other than pellets, hay, and the water/dioralyte.

I still would go to the vet, but if that's not an option, those are the things I would try. If he starts acting strange at all, particularly tired or floppy, it's an emergency.

The vet will be able to give a drug that is antibiotic, antiparasitic, and anti-inflammatory called metronidazole. They will also be able to give sub-cutaneous fluids and a drug called Questran. Questran binds the bacterial toxins so they don't go into the bloodstream.

The reason a baby can go downhill quickly with runny stool is that runny stool is usually a parasite or bacterial imbalance. The young bunny's GI does not have a stable microbial community yet, so a small disturbance can get it way out of whack. The bad bacteria can them grow, and these bacteria produce compounds that are toxic to the bunny. The toxins can get absorbed into the bloodstream via the intestines and lead to a total body shutdown.

Latest posts

Back