6 week old baby bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cinnabunn

Reaction score
My does babies turn 6 weeks tomorrow and I have been noticing they are pooping a lot of excess cecotropes. To the point where they are getting them stuck to their bums. Should I reduce pellets? As of now they have unlimited access all day,(along with water, hay and moms milk) but I notice they prefer the pellets over the hay. Sometimes I remove the pellets to make them eat more hay through the day. Any suggestions on how to fix the extra cecotropes/mushy poops? Thanks in advanced.

It's probably not excess cecals, but improperly formed cecals that are getting left uneaten because they smell wrong to the rabbit, which is called cecal dysbiosis. This is usually from too many carbs and not enough fiber in the diet. So yes, I would reduce pellets some and free feed a good quality grass hay, making sure the bunnies are eating it well. More fiber from good grass hay and less pellets, will usually correct the problem.

https://rabbit.org/intermittent-soft-cecotropes-in-rabbits/
Unless you aren't feeding a grass hay but are feeding alfalfa hay, then it could be excess cecals from a diet too rich in protein. That's corrected by transitioning to a good second cut(medium coarse) grass hay, and making sure they're eating it well. And if they continue to eat too many pellets and not enough of the grass hay(at least a pile of hay the size of their body per day), then I would reduce the pellets to an amount that gets them eating enough of the hay.

With any diet change, it's always important to monitor weight and body condition, to ensure unhealthy weight loss(or poor growth in baby rabbits) doesn't occur.

It's probably not excess cecals, but improperly formed cecals that are getting left uneaten because they smell wrong to the rabbit, which is called cecal dysbiosis. This is usually from too many carbs and not enough fiber in the diet. So yes, I would reduce pellets some and free feed a good quality grass hay, making sure the bunnies are eating it well. More fiber from good grass hay and less pellets, will usually correct the problem.

https://rabbit.org/intermittent-soft-cecotropes-in-rabbits/
Unless you aren't feeding a grass hay but are feeding alfalfa hay, then it could be excess cecals from a diet too rich in protein. That's corrected by transitioning to a good second cut(medium coarse) grass hay, and making sure they're eating it well. And if they continue to eat too many pellets and not enough of the grass hay(at least a pile of hay the size of their body per day), then I would reduce the pellets to an amount that gets them eating enough of the hay.

With any diet change, it's always important to monitor weight and body condition, to ensure unhealthy weight loss(or poor growth in baby rabbits) doesn't occur.
They currently get 2nd cut Timothy hay, I have mixed in some alfalfa hay here and there a few times only. Since their pellets are alfalfa I prefer feeding them the Timothy hay. I currently feed them the Sherwood baby pellets and notice that they will constantly eat that instead of the hay. I will try to reduce their pellets more and see if the higher hay consumption will help. Their poops should not be as mushy by this age right? Thanks for the advice!

I wouldn't reduce their pellets, at this age the baby rabbits need all the protein for growth they can get. I free feed pellets until they are about 3-4 months. I would remove any extra alfalfa hay from their diet though. Looking at the nutrient info for that brand of pellets, I am not a fan. It has only 15% protein (16-18% is better for growing rabbits) and 8% fat!. My current food is 1.5% fat, the highest fat content Ive fed the young rabbits is 3.5%. That's a very fatty pellet for these young rabbits.

I wouldn't reduce their pellets, at this age the baby rabbits need all the protein for growth they can get. I free feed pellets until they are about 3-4 months. I would remove any extra alfalfa hay from their diet though. Looking at the nutrient info for that brand of pellets, I am not a fan. It has only 15% protein (16-18% is better for growing rabbits) and 8% fat!. My current food is 1.5% fat, the highest fat content Ive fed the young rabbits is 3.5%. That's a very fatty pellet for these young rabbits.
Oh my, really? I was told this brand of pellet was really good. What brand do you feed if you don’t mind me asking. I want to make sure they are getting good food. As far as alfalfa hay, I don’t really feed alfalfa hay to them. I’ve stuck to 2nd cut Timothy hay only. So is the brand of pellets I’m currently feeding not good enough for momma right now either? Since she is breastfeeding. I know she needs higher protein and fat as well.

Latest posts

Back