6 month old rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs641

Reaction score
Hey guys, I’m a bit frustrated with my new rabbit. He just turned 6 months, we got him from a lady our vet knew, she needed to rehome him due to circumstances changing. My previous rabbit was 2 when we got her, and their personalities are completely different! He’s extremely mischievous, no matter how well I block his area, he’s managed to get around it, and into the places he’s not supposed to be. He’s like having a child with adhd, doesn’t matter how much he’s played with, or exercise he’s given, it’s never enough. He cannot stay out of trouble. He digs and digs and digs at EVERYTHING. Is he upset being taken to a new home? Is he frustrated by something? Or is this kind of behavior just typical for a rabbit so young? I need some advice. He’s the sweetest thing, never bites or acts aggressive.

He is neutered, yes. He’s been with us for not even a month, and there are no other rabbits but I suspect it still smells like my old rabbit, Penny. I’ve sprayed vinegar, enzyme spray etc to clean everything, but I’m not confident it’s done much. He came with everything from his previous home so he’s got everything that’s made him comfortable

I've had a couple rabbits that managed to outsmart numerous bunny proofings that had worked just fine with other rabbits. Some rabbits just seem particularly mischievous and curious! They certainly tested my creativity for improving bunny proofing!

Since you haven't had him too long yet, I'd suggest giving it more time (and get that creative thinking cap on!). Once he's gotten to a forbidden area, he'll keep trying to get there again. So the sooner that area is successfully (creatively!) bunny proofed and is consistently bunny-proofed, the sooner he'll be able to stop trying. Then he'll need some time to know and accept where he is and isn't allowed.

I suspect you may be right about lingering scents from your prior bun. That should also dissipate as he roams around (potentially looking for her?). Again, in time, and with consistent proofing, he should settle down a bit.

I’m definitely having to get creative! My other bun was so mellow, she was fully free roam and behaved herself, so I wasn’t truly prepared for this. My house is in shambles with things I’ve had to rig to keep him out of certain areas! I know things will change and I need to give it time, but I wanted to make sure it was somewhat normal for this behavior

Some other food for thought... I had a female once that began to be overly mischievous after her bondmate passed. I gave it several months but things didn't improve. Eventually I came to the conclusion that she was one of those rabbits that really needed a bondmate. Once she got one (ironically, she was extremely choosey about her choice) then she settled back into her former ways and not so ornery. All that to say that it may be possible that you have 'one of those' rabbits. Probably way too early to tell... just something to keep in the back of your mind.

I tried bonding my previous bun, it went terribly and I never tried again, it was such a disaster! Both spraying urine and poop at each other, it was awful lol He’s quite young still, so I was thinking it’s mostly probably due to his age, but attempting a bond again I may be willing to try when he gets older, we’ll see how things go! I appreciate your input! Thank you.

Latest posts

Back