5 days old should i increase feeding?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loppalove

Reaction score
I have been bringing the doe to the babies 2 times a day and individually allowing each baby about 3 to 5 minutes to feed. The are coming up on their 5th day so should I increase time to nurse or frequency in feedings? I seperated mom due to her aggressiveness toward them.
Thanks, logan

Try leaving the mom with them a little longer, but not unsupervised. Watch for the aggression. See if she has accepted them yet. Sometimes it takes a few days for the maternal hormones to settle in. (And some of them never "get it".) Go by your observations and her behavior.

How did she do? Any aggression? Did she feed a little longer?

Well she is still growling/striking at them if given the chance. I am resorting to holding her and trying to pet her with one hand on the floor, and allowing the babies one at a time to suckle with the other hand protecting them from her hind legs. If they wiggle to far toward her face she struggles and tries to get away. I try to stay calm and shush her by reinforcing how good she is and telling her she's a good mom to let them eat. They must be getting something because they are all still alive. I make sure afterward she gets to play in her yard in the grass and I give her a special treat. I want her to associate her nursing time with positivity and good things. I don't know how I'm going to swing this in a couple weeks when they are older and more mobile. Sigh.

Should I increase frequency of feedings now that they are getting older? Or is twice a day for 3-5 minutes each enough?

Twice a day is good, extend it to 5-6 minutes. Try feeding her parsely or special treat while she is nursing....

BlueGiants wrote:
Twice a day is good, extend it to 5-6 minutes. Try feeding her parsely or special treat while she is nursing....

well, today was the first day she actually laid nicely and and breathed normally while nursing, she even sighed a couple of times. Usually she pants so hard i think she is going into cardiac arrest..one of the babies inched near her face, she sniffed, then looked away, but did not try to strike at it nor did she growl or start struggling. I still wont leave her alone with them, but i was happy with her during this mornings feeding. Atleast she is making some progress.

Thats todays update, my lucky little 7...day 5 and we are all still here and seem to be doing well, please keep paws crossed it stays that way. :)

Well, that is good news! Glad she is settling down a bit. I wouldn't trust her alone with them quite yet... but its a move in the right direction!

Latest posts

Back