$400 to spay my bun?????eeekkk!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cupcake

Reaction score
I sent an e-mail to a local vet & here ishis repsonse- don't know anything about Laser surgery but I wasexpecting about $200!! (I will shop around) Here is the response to mye-mail:

1) Do you care for rabbits?CAH:Yes indeed we do care for quite a large number of rabbits.

2) Should a rabbit be spayed?CAH:Yes. Spaying a rabbit will reduce therisk of serious cancers anduterine infections that can occur in intactfemale rabbits. Spaying alsocorrects or prevents unwanted house soilingbehaviours that can occur insome female rabbits.

3) If yes, what is the best age?CAH: We recommend spaying at 6months of age.

4) How many rabbits has your clinic spayed this year? What is thesuccessrate?CAH:As a yearly average we spay or neuter a rabbit everyweek.

5) Do you remove both uterus & ovaries?CAH:Yes. Both uterus and ovaries are excised with the surgery.

6) What type of anesthetics do you use?CAH: Once preanestheticbloodwork confirms the rabbit is in good general health, the rabbitsare sedated with ketamine and acepromazine to provide relaxation. Afteranother 15-20 minutes the rabbits are masked down with a mixture ofoxygen and isoflurane. General anesthetic manitained with theisoflurane mix.

7) Does the rabbit stay overnight?CAH:providing the rabbit recoverswell and the surgery is without complication, we do recommend that shestay overnight and be reassessed the next morning.

8) What does the procedure cost? CAH: The total fee for a rabbit spay(including GST) is $410.35. The spay is performed with Laser (check outour website for details on the benefits of Laser;http://www.carlinganimalhospital.com)and includes preanesthetic blood screening, IV fluids, as well as allanesthetic, hospitalization and surgery charges.

Hope this info helps. Please feel free to call with any further questions.

Keith Johnson, D.V.M.

Cupcake wrote:
Isent an e-mail to a local vet & here is his repsonse- don'tknow anything about Laser surgery but I was expecting about $200!! (Iwill shop around) Here is the response to my e-mail:

Be sure to query local organizations/offices, such as SPCA(local andstate), animal control departments, animal shelters, animal rescuegroups, etc. They may provide free, or low cost surgeries, orbe able to point you in the right direction.

We use Animal Birth Control, Inc. for all our neuterings. It"brokers" reasonable prices for services from contracted verinarians,which results in a 50%-60% to us. The only caveat is one mustuse their contracted vet and all money transactionsarethrough ABC, Inc. As their contracted vet is our vet ofchoice, it is a win/win situation for us.

It is one of two charities in our county which apply all fundingreceived directly to the organization's expressed purpose, with no"overhead" bleeding off any of the total for "expenses," consequently,we support it morally and financially.

Contact ABC, Inc. at P.O.Box 353, Pine Beach, NJ 08741, or phone itsPresident, Maggie Trengrove at 732 269-8793. There may be achapter of this great organization near you.

Buck

that does seem a little pricey. I worked for avet office which did many rabbit spays/neuters, about 2-3 a week, andthe cost of the spay was normally around $200, then again it wasn'tlaser surgery. I got very lucky and adopted my bunny for $10, and shewill be spayed for free in December. Good luck finding a place!

Melody & Tica

Thanks Buck & Sugarfox 3-

I will check with our local SPCA -since I am in Canada (Ontario) I will also look into other organizations in my community.

I am sure I can find a place more reasonalbe than $400 ( a $10 bunny with free spaying, what a deal! :))

Sue

That's why my buns aren't spayed or neutered :( I can't afford it.

Luckily for me they dont have any kind of aggression problems or anything like that.

They're both a year old and they're little angels :p

Hi Cupcake,

That's ludicrous - $400!! :shock:

Laser operations are much more expensive, I imagine that's why the price is so high.

Keepus posted as to what you find out.I'm sure you'll do better than that.

-Carolyn

Hey Cupcake, I'm going to Alta Vista AnimalHospital, on Bank Street (just past Hunt Club). It's going to cost me$180 to spay Abby, a far cry fom $400!!!

They are very very good there. I took her in for a cosultation visit,and got along very well with the vet. He was impressed with myknowledge of rabbits, and we sort of grilled each other a bit, in agood way of course. I left knowing that she would be in good hands whenthe time comes.

Here is their number: 613-731-6851. They also have 24 hour emergency services, which was a must in my own choosing of a vet.

I had thought $180 on the high side, plus the consultation visit (Iforgot how much that cost me). I really hope you see this post and thatit helps!

Wow, my vet did my two does for $60 each and mybuck for $35. One doe didn't eat so the nextevening I had to take her back for fluids, then she was fine.No problem wit hte other two.

Ed

Stephanie,

Thank you SOOOO much! Will definately give them a call. Cupcake is only4 months old now but Alta Vista is only 15 minutes from my house!

$180-I can live with that ( I had budgeted around $200) Sad thing isshe turns 6 months at the end of December just when I am trying to payfor all the Xmas stuff!

I will also call my dog's vet & see if she knows of any good vets who care for rabbits.

Sue

You're welcome, Cupcake! I was hoping you'd see this post. :)

Also, I hear you about the Christmas thing, Valura will be due to getspayed around then, but we decided to wait until January, so we canrecover a bit from Christmas. Abby is going in tomorrow though, I'lllet everyone know how it went.

Stephanie,

Good luck & let me know how it goes with Abby. We might meeteach other in Januaury when I get Cupcake fixed after Xmas!;)

Sue

Abby is in today getting spayed and Mommy isnervous! She actually let me hold her at the vet and didn't want to belet go, poor thing was so scared.I know she'll be ok, andbetter in the long run for it, but still. I know there is that slightchance that things could go wrong and of course that's all I can thinkabout. I'll be happy and relieved to get her home tonight, in her cage(not with the other two), and be able to keep an eye on her myself.

So Cupcake, with taxes and everything it's around $195, a bit higherthan I first said, but I wasn't thinking about taxes. :pAlso, the consultation visit was $58.10. They did an exam and all ofthat, which was good, and the vet and I talked in detail about Abby andrabbit care in general. So it's a bit more than $200 total, but still afar cry from $400.

Stephanie wrote:
Abby is in today getting spayed and Mommy is nervous! Sheactually let me hold her at the vet and didn't want to be let go, poorthing was so scared.I know she'll be ok, and better in thelong run for it, but still. I know there is that slight chance thatthings could go wrong and of course that's all I can think about. I'llbe happy and relieved to get her home tonight, in her cage (not withthe other two), and be able to keep an eye on her myself.

Stephanie,

Keep in mind that many of these operations turn outsuccessfully. I'll say a prayer for you and your baby girlanyway, but with all that you had done to ensure she had a good vet andis of the proper age and in good health, she has everything on herside.

Do let us know as soon as you find anything out. Have youcalled the hospital to see if the operation happened yet and how thingsare going? Why not request them to call you when she's out.

Let us know as soon as you hear anything.

-Carolyn

Stephanie.

Keep us posted on Abby.

FYI- Just went to the pet store in Barrhaven & asked them ifthey knew of a good vet- they paged the "rabbit" girl who has houserabbits with free reign of the house & she advised she had themost amazing rabbit vet at the Alta Vista Clinic! Found it interestingthat there is a rabbit vet close to the store but she recommended AltaVista clinic.

She highly recommended Dr Gowland. Is she the same vet you saw?

Sue

That's funny, Cupcake. Small world, huh?

I met with one doctor on my first visit with her (forgot his name buthe was great). Due to rescheduling though, Abby was spayed by a Dr. DanRodgers. I wasn't too worried about who did it in the end, the wholeplace really impressed me and everyone there is just wonderful. Plus,Abby was really loved by everyone. Whenever I spoke with someone, theywould comment on what a sweatheart she is, how soft her fur is, what agood girl she is. :)

What pet store are you going to? Do they have a lot of good items forour bun buns? Now that we have three rabbits, we can see that we reallyneed to buy in bulk. On Bank Street is a store that sells Woody Pet, Ithink we're going to run out there today.

Stephanie,

I go to both Superpet in Barrhaven for Timothy Hay &Food & Petsmart at Huntclub & Merivale ( forYesterday's News- they have large bags thereuntil I get someWoodypet)

I like visiting Superpet in Barrhaven because they always seem to havea lot of buns for sale. Right now they have a few Holland lops ,several Netherland dwarfs & a mixed Dwarf/?? that is such asweetie & so friendly I wanted to take him home last night.They also have a white Lionhead that just came in 2 days ago &it is the sweetest ball of fluffy bunny I have seen. (just a baby only5-6 weeks old)

So that being said I often visit just to pet the buns & give them some lovin & attention.

I also was planning on checking out the store on bank street for some Woodypet- may even bump into you- you never know!

Sue

Now I have to go there, if only to see cute andadorable bunnies! And yes, we could very well bump into each other, ifnot by accident maybe someday on purpose. :)

Latest posts

Back