4 week old bunnies being sold on Craigslist!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sadly it is too young, poor babies. :( Equally as sad, I think you've done all you can do. She has obviously decided her pride is more important than the welfare of those babies. Some states have laws against selling animals too young, but I don't know if your state has this and if rabbit's are even included. You did your best and tried for those babies, kudos for that.

When I spoke to her, she said she has been raising pure breed rabbits for many years, and no one has complained about their age. Also she spouted something about if you leave the babies with the mother for too long, it hurts the mother nutritionally? Does this make any sense?

I flagged it too.

She doesn't make any sense. Most reputable rabbit breeders will leave the babies with the mom if at all possible for at the very least 6 weeks. After 4 weeks they can be separated, but it's not recommended--basically only done if the mom has another litter. Bunnies can get pregnant the day they give birth, and gestation is about 28 days, so it can happen. If the mom is properly fed, she should be fine to feed the babies for a full 6-8 weeks.

However, it is usually against the law to sell bunnies and chicks under 8 weeks old. It's a state law, so there is some variation, but usually the law is 8 weeks. You can check your state laws, it's usually under the agriculture statues.

I've sent emails too, about this kind of thing, and all I get is rude responses too.

I'd do both if you're comfortable contacting the ASPCA. They might tell you to contact local law enforcement via the non-emergency number or a number for animal control.

I sent her an email with the link and told her that several people have flagged her post, and that I will be contacting the local authorities tomorrow. I will now be on the lookout for further posts from her on Craigslist.

Thank you all for all your help! You guys are great!

Now I must go hug my Tup Tup :happyrabbit:

Great job!:highfive:

I love how ASPCA has state animal cruelty laws listed on their website. Definitely gotta favorite that! This lady is giving the typical response of someone not willing to accept that ANY part of the care they give their animals is wrong or inadequate.

Those kind of folks make me do this- :banghead

She's still emailing me, calling me names, and telling me that I don't know what I am talking about. Then she offered for me to take the babies and the mother. If I knew this would stop her, and that she was being serious, I would take her up on the offer. This whole situation has made me very sad and mad at the same time! :(

This is her latest email. Lets count how many errors we find in this one:

And by the way this just shows what a moron you actually are..puppies can be weaned at 6weeks of age, people usually go to 7or 8weeks for the mier fact that they learn how to act in their pack. Making them better family pets. Rabbits are not social animals therfor do not need the comfort of another rabbit and actually grow faster when by themselves. They start eating pellets on their own at 2 1/2 to 3weeks and by 4 weeks their immune system can handle it well. Chickens, turkeys, poultry can leave their mama the day their born, in the care of you of course. So yea ya moron, your so full of it.

Anybody want her email address? I am tired of arguing with her, but I don't want her to think she has won.

Luvr of Wabbits and Polar Bears wrote:
wow that Lady knows nothing about anything.
Yeah, now she is calling me a moron and arguing with me about the law. Saying 2 month is too long, or some bs. It's always the ones who know nothing that like to spout their bs the most.

Oh happy day.

She's an idiot, sorry if that's mean but it's true. Most states (if not all?) it's totally illegal to sell puppies or kittens under 8 weeks. The Chickens, turkeys, poultry comment is just sad. They don't drink milk as babies! Totally irrelevant. Rabbit's are social, mine are bonded and adore each other. In the wild their territories often overlap. If they were so solitary they wouldn't need such complicated hierarchies. Why do rabbits thump? To warn others of dangers because they do live in close proximity. The founder at the rescue I volunteer with has witnessed groups of wild rabbits coming together for no reason at all. We are talking 5 or more.

:huh

Wow she certainly is opinionated! Pitty it's all wrong! She really deesn't have a clue does she! I'd keep everything she's ever sent you as evidence against her, in the case that this might brought to the legal system (oh how I wish it does). She really needs to be removed from pet ownership, I think you've done whats right, keep us informed of what happens.

Latest posts

Back