4 month old bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaiyla

Reaction score
I don't know if maybe someone can link me to something that would help more, but I just adopted a 4 month old netherland dwarf. Don't know the gender yet, but the bun's name is Zero. Zero is a very curious and mischievous bunny. I have read somewhere that you are never supposed to punish or yell at a bunny. The exact words I read were, "Rabbits live in the moment" and if you yell at them you are breaking their trust...etc. Is this true?

Anyways, I created a large playpen for him out of cubes and Zero always tries to find a way out and shake the cubes. Now, I have provided him with a bundle of toys inside so I shouldn't see that he is bored. I go in there and play with him a lot but he will still try to get out.

Also, when I hold him he will be nice for about five minutes and then start to nibble me and dig. At this point I usually put him down, but is that the right thing to do? I have never had a baby bunny like this and I want to make sure I am properly training this bun to be the best friend I know he can be. Any help or references would be wonderful and I thank you all for taking the time to read this in advance :)

It sounds like he's full of energy :) He might be too busy to hang around for a long cuddle so he's letting you know he's had enough by nibbling/digging.

Although you say he has lots of toys sometimes bunnies can be like children, they get bored of toys quickly and then moan they have nothing to do. What sort of toys do you have for him and what activities can he do with them? Rabbits like toys that involve things like getting food and digging. Try rotating the toys and offering him new things like boxes. Hiding his food so he has to find it or hanging up his veg so he has to stretch for it will help occupy him too.

Hello. I would not yell cause the bunny probably wouldn't understand anyway.

Sounds like you made a great place for your bunny to live, and giving your bunny plenty to play with. It is normal for them to chew or shake the cage. I would also give your bunny cardboard to chew up. To keep him/her busy. They love tearing up cardboard.

It's normal for a baby bun to dig and bite on your clothes. I would say "no" (not yelling but in a normal voice)and push the bunnys head away. Not hard but easily so it will quit.

Hope this helps. :) April

edit: http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=33995&forum_id=17

A good link I found :)

Jaiyla wrote:
I don't know if maybe someone can link me to something that would help more, but I just adopted a 4 month old netherland dwarf. Don't know the gender yet, but the bun's name is Zero. Zero is a very curious and mischievous bunny. I have read somewhere that you are never supposed to punish or yell at a bunny. The exact words I read were, "Rabbits live in the moment" and if you yell at them you are breaking their trust...etc. Is this true?

Anyways, I created a large playpen for him out of cubes and Zero always tries to find a way out and shake the cubes. Now, I have provided him with a bundle of toys inside so I shouldn't see that he is bored. I go in there and play with him a lot but he will still try to get out.

Also, when I hold him he will be nice for about five minutes and then start to nibble me and dig. At this point I usually put him down, but is that the right thing to do? I have never had a baby bunny like this and I want to make sure I am properly training this bun to be the best friend I know he can be. Any help or references would be wonderful and I thank you all for taking the time to read this in advance :)
one bun,,get a mirror or a buddy,,review-diet nutritional requirements...you want links ,,ok,, use google,type in rabbit secrets-((-look for glen livingston phd-the rabbit psychic.))-..adopt a rabbit society.--...house of rabbit societygood source for diseases,,info is wikapedia...sincerely james waller:wave::rose:http://jewaller.webs.com

:shock: I yell at Mikael all the time. (He's incorrigible! lol! :hearts). I really must stop that, thanks for the reminder. :embarrassed:

SweetSassy wrote:
Hello. I would not yell cause the bunny probably wouldn't understand anyway.

Sounds like you made a great place for your bunny to live, and giving your bunny plenty to play with. It is normal for them to chew or shake the cage. I would also give your bunny cardboard to chew up. To keep him/her busy. They love tearing up cardboard.

It's normal for a baby bun to dig and bite on your clothes. I would say "no" (not yelling but in a normal voice)and push the bunnys head away. Not hard but easily so it will quit.

Hope this helps. :) April

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=33995&forum_id=17

A good link I found :)

Mikael most certainly knows every word, not just 'No', which all my guys clearly understand (even when said in a normal tone). He also knows 'no _what_. 'No, don't eat that', or 'no, get down.'

Cardboard bunny forts really can keep them busy and chewing something safe and productive as they 'renovate'. I'll usually put several together with an entrance, a couple of small exits and multiple floors. They love it!

sas :bunnydance:

You can certainly use a firm "no" to tell your bunny when to stop doing something. The reason not to yell is that your bunny can become afraid of the loud noise and if you yell after they've done something bad, they really don't know why you're yelling. You need to tell them at the moment they are doing something wrong that they need to stop. Setting limits is perfectly ok, only yelling is not.

When you hold him, I'm sure he wants to get down and explore. I would put him down *before* he starts digging and nipping. If you put him down as soon as he digs or nips, he'll realize that he can get his way when he does this. So you need to either put him down before he reaches this point, or continue to hold him until he becomes calm again and then put him down. I'm sure he would love a chance to run around and explore.

A lot of people report that unneutered buns try to escape a lot - once he is neutered and calmed down a bit, I think he'll stop trying to escape so much.

My baby bun is about 3 months old now, and he likes to nip my clothes and sometimes he also digs. I think digging is a natural behavior. It is kind of funny though. I'm always like what are you doing lol. He likes to dig on his towel in the cage that I have for him too. I posted about "bunny nipping"

oh..i love this...no get down,-or-no don,t do that,,,yuk,yuk,,rr,rr--i think rabbits have about 32 muscles in their head to control ear movement,,when i say no,i watch their ears--they actually turn/point away,,,what to do--sometimes thumping works,,cuz they feel the floor,,but air vibrations/sound carrying--mine know i am a slave..a push over....wa,wa,,,rr,,rrr.sincerely james waller:bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::p:pinkelepht::pink iris::wave:

Most rabbits don't like to be held. Since yours is young, you have a really good chance of making him "people" friendly. I've had my bun since he wa 6 weeks old and he loves being held. My bun is part Netherland Dwarf like Zero and small breeds are naturally jumpy, so don't feel too alarmed if he struggles. The main thing you want to focus on in this situation is holding him correctly.

As for the trust thing, it is very important that you gain and keep Zero's trust. Rabbits have VERY good memory.

I hope this helps and good luck with Zero! :D

It is normal for rabbits to want to chew and dig so rather than think of it as "bad" behavior it may be best to provide them with their own toys

Each of my rabbits has a large cardboard box..usually I use the large boxes that my Oxbow hay is delivered in.

One of my rabbits gets in his box and literally chews and digs through the cardboard floor. When the floor is destroyedI just turn the box over so that he has the other side to work on. It provides hours and hours of fun for them and costs me nothing other than the time each day to sweep up the cardboard pieces all over the place.

AlsoI don't thinkI have ever met rabbit that does not like to scrunch up a towel and dig in it :D

here is some library info for you

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12433&forum_id=17

A 4 month old is entering adolescence .. it will be a few years before he will calm down but neutering will definitely help spraying, mounting and litterbox habits

Latest posts

Back