4-H Rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kitkat1702

Reaction score
I show horses at fair and I really wanted to show another animal at fair and I decided to pick bunnies after watching an auction and they went for like $125-$600 so I was wondering what non-market bunny can I show at fair and be able to auction off and get money and how many will I need? Thanks:biggrin2:

Are you sure that was the price the rabbits were going for and they were not stating prices of other livestock?
You can show any breed through 4-H. At most auctions most rabbits (of any breed) usually sell for between $5 and $40 and most that are sold at auction (at least in our state) go to butcher.

If you are planning to sell them you will need what is called a meat pen. You usually use commercial or compact breeds such as Californians, New Zealands, Cinimons, Lilacs etc. You will need three of the same sex and that look as close to the same as possible. In my 4-H group only the G. Champ. Meat pen gets to sell, also rabbits go for around $500 normally at my auction (This is all three together.)
Ignore this post if that isn't what your 4-H does :]

Good Luck!
Karlie

It sounds basically like you're just interested in getting rabbits for the money you'd get once you auction them off.
Please forgive me if I am wrong, but that's just the way it comes across in your post ;)

Anyway, I agree with Karlie. Also, (not sure if it's the same at your fair) but only certain breeds can be in the market class (which then goes to the auction). They have to be meat breeds, like Karlie mentioned above.

At my fair we are having the market class next year, which will be the first year for the Rabbit Project. You can only enter fryer pens/meat pens, which have to consist of three of the same type of rabbits. I think that you have to use only meat rabbits, but I could be wrong. I just don't think you could put say a trio of Dutch or Holland Lops in the market class ;) haha.

Emily

Karlie wrote:
If you are planning to sell them you will need what is called a meat pen. You usually use commercial or compact breeds such as Californians, New Zealands, Cinimons, Lilacs etc. You will need three of the same sex and that look as close to the same as possible. In my 4-H group only the G. Champ. Meat pen gets to sell, also rabbits go for around $500 normally at my auction (This is all three together.)
Ignore this post if that isn't what your 4-H does :]

Good Luck!
Karlie
This is exactally how it is with our group, but you don't have to grand to go to auction.

My son just won Grand Champion Meat Pen at our county fair, they were auctioned off and went to the young daughter of the buyer as pets, she had them named long before she was able to take them. With rabbits and chickens the buyer has the option to keep the rabbits/chicken or donate them back to the 4H kid who raised them, sometimes they donate them to other 4H kids so they can get a start. My friends daughter had her meat pen given back to her. Its a charity sale to benefit the 4H kids, helps them pay their feed bill and rewards their hard work. Meat pens went from 250-400 at our 4H auction. You must have a commercial breed, they must be within a certain weight and age, all the same color and breed. My son's rabbits won because they were little carbon copies of each other, and were Florida Whites, with tight compact hard bodies. The other meat pens varied more in size, appearance and weight. Line breeding does sometimes pay off.

It really depends on the fair and their own rules. You can check with your county extension agent for the rules. Some require you to own the doe, while others allow you to purchase the kits at weaning.

At our fair, all blue ribbon pens sell. This year, a girl brought in a pen of unknown crossbred rabbits that had a himi, black and chinchilla. She got RGCH with it(there were only two pens). I was told the mother of this pen was a rex that someone found, and it had kits a couple of days after this girl got it. There was no way to know what breed the father was. What I thought was interesting was the kits were of a mandolin body type. Her pen sold for $12 a pound, with the pen weighing something like 12 pounds.

Generally, meat pens (3 rabbits)sell at auctionfrom $75 to $1000 ormoredepending on the county market and the buyers you are able to secure (you need to contact buyers in advance to promote your rabbits).

New Zealand rabbits reign supreme in meat pens with Cals and Satins also being popular. Grand Champion and Reserve Champion bring in the most money.

The ARBA standard of Perfection has the rules that most fairs follow for their meat pen exhibits. Your pen must make proper weight to be auctioned.

Non-market rabbits are not auctioned. Remember, that in most cases, you spend more on raising the pen (including equipment, feed, and breeding stock) than you'll actually make. Most exhibitors breed for more than one litter - the pen can be chosen from different litters and can be different sexes, but must all be the same variety.

Pam

Bramblerose wrote:
My son just won Grand Champion Meat Pen at our county fair, they were auctioned off and went to the young daughter of the buyer as pets, she had them named long before she was able to take them. With rabbits and chickens the buyer has the option to keep the rabbits/chicken or donate them back to the 4H kid who raised them, sometimes they donate them to other 4H kids so they can get a start. My friends daughter had her meat pen given back to her. Its a charity sale to benefit the 4H kids, helps them pay their feed bill and rewards their hard work. Meat pens went from 250-400 at our 4H auction. You must have a commercial breed, they must be within a certain weight and age, all the same color and breed. My son's rabbits won because they were little carbon copies of each other, and were Florida Whites, with tight compact hard bodies. The other meat pens varied more in size, appearance and weight. Line breeding does sometimes pay off.

While uniformity is important, remember that the meat type is the "most" important, condition is the second consideration, uniformity is the third consideration in judging and fur is the final consideration.

Many 4-Her's get so hung-up on having a uniform pen that they overlook the most important consideration of meat type.

Pam

Latest posts

Back