4-H Club

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boricua_bunny

Reaction score
Yesterday, my parents and I went to a fair inMassachusetts near where I live called the Bolton Fair. There was ridesand a lot of cool stuff, but I was focused on seeing therabbits there. There were only 5 different rabbits there. There weretwo Netherland Dwarf does, one Holland Lop buck, one Lionhead doe, andone Flemish Giant buck. They also had sign-ups for a 4-Hrabbitclub. I had been thinking about doing this before thefair, so I immediately signed up for it. Does anybody know what kind ofactivities they do at these clubs?

We had almost 500 rabbits at our fair.4H clubsdo different activities.ours had a petting zoo at the Mall.went to anamusement park,we had demonstrations how to tattoo a rabbit.went toleaders house for showmanship demos and a picnic.sold candy to raisemoney.filled out our project books,elect officersand did pony rides atthe firemens festival.visited a nursing home for communityservice.bluebird

I was a 4-H advisor when I lived in Ohio and hadapproximately 50 members in my club as well as 4 co-advisors (1co-advisor worked with the "clover bud" age associate members).

Our business meetings were held twice a month in the summer and once amonth in the winter. We had educational activities that werealso fun, worked on showmanship, went on field trips, did communityservice projects and held fundraisers.

Pam

I am not sure about 4-H for rabbits.My aunt did 4-H and raised sheep and cows. She had to tamethem, groom them and train them (of course feed, water and excerisethem as well). One year she got first for herbeautiful sheep! She made a TON of money, but eventuallyquit. She got too sensitive and attached to her pets.

I've seen 4-H displays at our fair. Usually meat rabbits.

I am not sure, but I think you will be raising rabbits (or onerabbit). Most likely the same as my auntie did.Taming, excerising, training, socializing, feeding, grooming and simplycaring for rabbits. They do train you as to how to hold,groom, and feed rabbits.

Sounds like TONS of fun!

Please keep us posted! Hugs! Krick

I am a 4-H advisor for a small club of14. Over the years, we have covered many subjects, butfocused on rabbits last year. We taught the kids aboutdifferent breeds, all levels of care, basic first aide, showmanship andhandling, breeding and basic genetics. The kids reallyenjoyed it. We had Veteranarians as Health Care Advisors, wehad a judge for showmanship. The kids were never bored andloved learning about their bunnies.They made presentations atthe NY State Fair this summer with what theylearned.5 of the kids have stuck with it.Those5 will work independently (of the group) this year tofurther their knowledge. We are very proud of our kidsaccomplishments.

I do equine 4-H up here in NH. We do a lot of educational stuff as well as competitions.

Im going to the Deerfield fair Friday and Sunday, I am looking at some more 4-H clubs to join (rabbits, dogs etc.) If I can.

My club pretty much leaves it up to the membersof what they want to do in the year. You have to have an "x" number ofmeetings that is usually set by the County Extension Office. You mayalso be required to attend "ethics workshops" every year to lean abouthow to care for or show your animals. As for the particulars, eachstate and county are different. There were only five different rabbits?Wow, I thought our county was sort of small. I think we had 14different breeds this year and over 130 rabbits. You'll have to go to afew meetings and get the project books to be sure of what all you haveto do. Also, talk to some of the teen leaders or representitives forthe rabbits and they'll help you out.

Kat

Thank you very much! I am really looking forwardto the activities that we will be doing. Yes, there were only fiverabbits, but I think it is because it wasn't a big fair and it wasn'treally about showing them. It was about trying to get people involvedin these clubs so they can care for rabbits.

Latest posts

Back