4 Baby rabbits in backyard. Help please!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yuuko

Reaction score
hi, so I made a post here a few months ago about how my neighbors rabbits were being neglected and coming into my backyard. I initially planned to keep them for myself but I spoke with the neighbors and they promised to take better care of them.

Anyways, I still allowed them to come over and I feed them every so often.

My problem:

Just today, I found 4 baby rabbits running around and playing. (wow!) They're VERY skittish seeing as how they've probably never had human contact. It seems they've been getting nursed under my backyard deck this whole time and are finally old enough to run around outside. Seeing as how no human is taking care of these rabbits, I'm doubting the mother's ability to keep them alive for so long. Will she be able to take care of them on her own?

Okay, so I've managed to catch one. (using food in a box and flipping the box over once they've gone in) It'll be pretty easy to catch the others using this trick, however, I want to know what to do first before I decided to catch the rest of them.

Right now, I have this little bunny in a box. I've given it hay and some slices of banana. I'm wondering how to give them water without having it spill all over the box. Also, I need to know if they might still require their mother's milk and what food they eat. Basically, I need general steps on how to care for these babies.

Here is a pic:

290zak9.jpg

Please help!

I would put it back outside under the porch with the rest of the babys and its mom it looks a little to young to be away from mom.. if your worried about them keep watching them and feed the mom some hay or somthin but I wouldnt try catching them..

Can you make the photo smaller? Thanks.

And the baby is too young to be separated from mom and siblings, but they're also going to be hawk food if they run around free in the yard, assuming you have hawks and owls around, to I'd suggest trying to catch the mother as well or building a roomy but short pen under the porch with cube shelving panels that will hopefully contain them but still allow the mom to jump in and feed them.

Be careful what you feed them, its good that they're living outside in terms of getting a variety of food, but you don't want to overload them with strange food and sugary treat. I'd go for hay, grass, a little lettuce and rabbit pellets.

Can you build an enclosure or hutch or get the neighbors to build a one? Or a solid wood enclosure with netting over it or at least a lot of hiding spots? If you look at the Rabbitats info by clicking the picture on the left side menu, might find some hints for you or your neighbors.

If you can't contain them you might be wise to leave them under the porch but try and place boxes (preferably wooden with an entrance and exit), tunnels and other structures around for protection.

sas :clover:

Please call the local SPCA and make a complaint astheir behaviour is despicable. Try and bring all the babies and the mama inside. Keep her away from the male or she will just get up the duff again.

Sorry, it won't allow me to edit the picture to make it smaller.

The neighbors actually came to my house today and told me that they were expecting the rabbits. They didn't anticipate that she would have them in my yard, though. So we've agreed to try and catch all 4 of them and bring them back to their side.

So far, all is well and thanks for your input. I'll give some updates if anything comes up.

Back