3rd Eyelid

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lisamarie7

Reaction score
Hi, i recently bought a 9 week old male mini lop to bond with my 9month old female rabbit (she is spayed) and since the day i got him he's had a "3rd Eyelid" showing in both eyes. He's been with me for 3 weeks and no improvement! He is scared of me but has bonded with my other bunny. I've read that it could be from stress. I've been handling him everyday but still scared of me :( I have attached some photos of his eye and him with my other rabbit.

Im just after anyone with advice or similar experience. Thanks :)

ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1392262480.757466.jpg
ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1392262208.040193.jpg
ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1392262516.676956.jpg
ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1392262560.796243.jpg

It could be from stress or could be just part of him growing. In a rabbit that young I wouldn't worry about it but a persistently showing third eyelid can be a sign of a thymoma. Then again my Cricket's 3rd eyelids are often showing and she's a pretty relaxed rabbit who has had chest rads done to rule out a thymoma because she does have respiratory signs so that's not always the case.

Okay thanks heaps! I will just monitor it for a bit longer hopefully he grows out of it!

Omg look how cuteeee!!! How do you not want to squeeze him all day long??

With the third eyelid "issue". I work with rabbits in a lab setting and sometimes their third eyelid will just somewhat show even when completely relaxed. I wouldn't be too alarmed unless you start to notice a discoloration of the third eyelid itself or even discharge. It could be just the way he is. Let us know how he progresses and congrats on your new bundle!

I wouldn't be alarmed either. Sometimes it just shows in certain rabbits. Unless he appears to be in distress or
pain I would not worry. And what a cutie!!! Awww they look so adorable together!!!!

Vanessa

yup my little guy did was pretty worried about it his were showing quite often...after he was injured we found out he had lordosis which had something to do with it...did get better in the end
idaosl.jpg

I know there sooo cute together i love just watching them groom each other! I felt a bit bad that Autumn (my female) was alone and searched the best match and got Frankie :) they had one fight but was best friends almost instantly. Im feeling a lot better about his eye thanks everyone ill definelty be looking out for and discoloration or discharge!

Latest posts

Back