3rd eyelid problem in overweight rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thumperina

Reaction score
I have 3 rabbits housed all together, one male (neutered) and 2 females. I feed them all together, and females are not crazy eaters (they eat what they need and run away), so our boy finishes whatever left. Anyway, because he is overweight, he has a problem to reach and clean his butt.
Once I saw him trying to reach his butt and his eyes got so bloody from the pressure.
Recently I noticed that ONE of his eyes looked slightly different than the other. His third eyelid has been larger in one eye. 2 days ago fur around corner of that eye was all wet, like if he had some discharge, or I would rather say as if something had ruptured there. It was Friday night so I couldn't do much about it and I was afraid to wash the eye not to make things worse (the rabbit behaved pretty much like normal and didn't show much discomfort). The third eyelid in that eye looked a little reddish, compared to his another eye. Today both eyes seem to look the same. All this time he had affected eye open as normal. I don't want to confuse you about "discharge" - there is no discharge, just the fur was wet.
Should I be concerned and/or take him to the vet? hi's eating as normal

Last edited:
I would be concerned that it's not from being overweight but from a different health problem. I would be concerned that this might have to do with a heart condition or even a mass in the chest area, as a protruding third eyelid can sometimes indicate these types of problems. Bulging eyes especially when the head is down can also be an indication, so if you are also seeing this, definitely get your bun into the vet right away. This isn't for certain, but is something for you to consider and possibly have your vet check and rule out.

Latest posts

Back