30+ Rabbits in Atlantic City Need Rescue

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dootsmom

Reaction score
Just got a call from England. Yes, England. 30+ rabbits are in need of rescue, in Atlantic City, New Jersey. The sister called me about her brother who has been taking in rabbits, for years. Circumstances, loss of job, living quarters, etc.. is making it impossible for him to keep them. Can anyone offer help?

I spoke to him and have been "troubled" ever since. He said that he's had most of them "since they were babies". None are older than four. None are spayed or neutered but, are kept separate. "All are healthy and happy". He's says that he has looked for good homes for them but, because of where he lives, he's afraid that "they'll be put on the table" (had for dinner). Then, he said that a few years ago a rescue from around Toms River took 12 from him when he was in a similar situation.
He says that they now take up his whole day and that it's too much for him. I think he's around 50 or so, years old. We'll figure this out. Would like to find out who rescued the first 12.

Because of the Ulster rescue, HRN cannot take in anymore. I've also emailed the NJSPCA to see if they can help...and emailed Jody.

Keep me posted. I know FBS just got a request from a shelter in Philadelphia so they may not be able to take any. AWA might be able to take a few.

I PM'd you with the rescue info.

Some are bonded. They are separated. Spay/neuter clinics, in the States, do not include rabbits. He would have had to work through a rescue/shelter/SPCA to get a discount. He didn't.

Am now looking for the rescue that took 12 of his rabbits a few years ago. This rescue is supposedly in the Toms River Area and he cannot remember who this "rescue" was. This present "rescue" is becoming more than it had originally seemed. His name is Carl/Karl Byrne......anyone recognize it?

Mike, with the NJSPCA, has contacted me. He has to bring this "case" to his supervisors. He'll get back to me. Will keep all of you posted.

Mike got back to me. Here's what he said:

"If you could do me a favor while you are on line to help speed this issue up. The first thing we need to do is get a handle on if the rabbits are being cared for and in good health. Unfortunately the way the laws are written, we have to first ascertain if there is cruelty going on. I fully understand this gentleman takes in the animals and then finds a means to put the responsibility upon a third party, but we need to first find out if they are being cared for to act upon this."

Is there anyone here, in the AC area, that can do a "home visit"?

Latest posts

Back