3 years and still can't bond bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhockin78

TobyBun
Reaction score
Ok so I have Toby, the almost 7 year old senior boy. His companion, Ernie died a few years ago so we took him to Save A Bunny Rescue and he picked "Nanners" who we lovingly call "Bitch Bunny." They bonded and we brought her home, spayed, shots etc. Oh Toby is neutered too. Then, a couple years ago, our friends were neglecting their baby bunny Ziggy, so after talking it over with the hubby, we brought her home. Ziggy adjusted well in her new cage, separate from the bonded Nanners and Toby. It took a bit, but Toby and Ziggy are bonded now, sometimes he still bullies her, but she loves him and vice versa.

Ok, so Nanners and Ziggy are a problem. Both are female, and both are spayed, but Nanners was here first, and from what I know, females are very territorial and hard to bond. I never knew just how hard.

So over the last couple years we have tried to slowly bond them.
-Separate cages that were near each other for scent and sight, but closed off at night for sleeping. This went on for months. But Nanners still nipped, grunted and chased Ziggy whenever she got too close.
Note: I am not sure if Ziggy is a submissive bunny or a dominant bunny, she seems free spirited and feisty when she is out and about and always demands that Toby groom her (never returning the favor of course) but then she puts her head down whenever Nanners gets too close and flattens herself out like a pancake...is this her being submissive?

-Then we put both cages in the same bunny run so they shared the common area but still had their separate cages to go to at night. Nanners would sneak into Ziggy's cage and pee on the floor and eat all her hay and if Ziggy was in her cage, Nanners would corner her and bite her fur out. Ugh. It was constant babysitting. So we did this for about a year, until it appeared the behavior was getting better.

-Now all bunnies are in the same enclosure, with Toby's Dysplasia and constant peeing on the carpet and the floors and the soiling of the cage and the urine scald, it became too much for me to keep all bunnies separate. So we built a contraption that is new to all the bunnies, figured we would get rid of anything that was deemed "owned" by another bunny and we started fresh.

Well, Nanners is not nice (aka Bitch Bunny~not even nice to us mind you) and has managed to keep Ziggy cornered up in the cage in her litter pan afraid to move. Because if she does, Nanners comes jolting out to bit her. I let Ziggy out often and I am monitoring them like crazy. There wasn't much fur in the pen today, so I feel like that is a small victory. When Nanners isn't biting or chasing Ziggy all over, she is hiding (all the time) and when she bites I try to make loud noises to deter the behavior and have even resorted to using a squirt bottle (am I mean for doing this???) I just don't know what to do to make them all happy and for it to be somewhat easier on me. Having a disabled bunny is hard, and I do so much for them and I just can't take the abusiveness that Nanners doles out all the time. I can't get rid of her because her and Toby are bonded, and if we do give her away, I would be afraid someone else will mistreat her because she is not only a complete scaredy bunny but a mean one too.

I have even tried to stress bond them to prepare them for the new cage by placing all three bunnies in a small cage for a few hours. Then we blocked off the kitchen and had all three of them in there overnight before placing them in their all new home together.

I feel like I have done everything, but maybe I am missing something??? Please help!!

20131003_210047.jpg

Trios are not easy. Some are impossible. It's also true that sometimes 2 rabbits simply do not like each other for whatever reason. I am not of the opinion that any 2 rabbits can be bonded. Some rabbits simply won't get along. I've had my share of finicky rabbits who were very picky about what rabbit they would accept.

It could also be that Nanners is one of those rare buns that would thrive as a single bun. Or maybe she just hasn't found the right mate yet. Either way, don't blame yourself for it not working the way you hoped. It doesn't sound like you missed a thing.

When you've introduced them was it in 100% neutral space? I mean like the bathtub or bathroom not anywhere that could be considered home or territory.

When you've introduced them was it in 100% neutral space? I mean like the bathtub or bathroom not anywhere that could be considered home or territory.

Yeah always neutral. The kitchen is the easiest place for us to put all three of them and none of them go in there on their own, so this was the best solution I could think of.

Our girl, Commander Bun-Bun was a solitary. She'd attack any other rabbit now matter the size--and she wasn't a big rabbit herself except in attitude, so, she remained a single after several bloody aborted attempts (me doing most of the bleeding).

I'm so tired of trying to make this work, it's been 3 years of trial and error and mostly ending up with error. I thought I was doing the right thing by allowing Toby to bond with his new mate and not us picking what we liked. So far the only bun happy is Toby (which is great) but Ziggy's happiness is important me to as well since we rescued her and promised to give her a safe, happy, healthy home life. I feel like I am failing her...:(

Latest posts

Back