3 months old rabbits mate and then fight?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

celineki

Reaction score
My 3 months old rabbits just mated for the first time today.. and then tried it like several times.... but after a while, i suddenly found them fighting.. both flew into each other and biting each other.. their furs were flying around the house.. i never saw them fight before.. they were being caged together and loves the companion of each other..

Now i am keeping them apart, one in the cage (snowy) and one (flakes) outside... but flakes has been pooping and urinating all around the house.. will it be alright if i put them back together in the cage?

I am also intending to sterilised them when they are 4 months old.. will my rabbit be pregnant now that they are mating??

Any advice would be greatly appreciated..

I would say slowly bring them back together. Like put them in an area that doesn't belong to either of them for a couple of hours. I think the female could be pregnent there could be a chance.

I would not put them back together, their is a good possibility that she is already pregnant. I would definitely keep them separated until you can get them fixed.

I'm sure others who are very knowledgeable will come and give you advice.

Susan:)

Don't ever allow an intact buck anddoe over about eight weeks old to be together at all. It only takes a matter of seconds for your doe to get pregnant, and if she is pregnant at this age it will be extremely hard for her. Mark on your calendar the date that this happened, if she is pregnant she will be due in about 31 days. Also, if you haven't already, find a rabbit savvy vet in case she needs any emergency care.

As young as they are, hopefully she will not be pregnant, they are less likely to take at this young. Do you know what breed they are? The smallest breeds mature faster. Your buck will be ready to neuter soon, the testicles usually drop about 4-5 months of age.

i really hope snowy is not pregnant.. i have no idea what to do at all.. when i got the rabbits, the owner said i don't need to seperate them if i don't want to breed them.. and the owner had bred a lot of rabbits before.. so i trust her words.. now i am very worried.

they are holland dwarf / lop mixed.. i am keeping them apart right now... my friend will help me take care of flakes for the time being as i dont have space in my house for another cage..

i had bookmarked the page that paul2641 give.. thankss..

Can i know if i can take snowy to be spayed??

If you place your location in your profile we can help you find a rabbit knowledgeable vet that would be determine if she is old enough to be spayed. if she is pregnant it is most likely safer to spay her than to have babies.

She is really to young to be spayed yet, it is better to wait until she is about six months. But since a pregnacy would be really hard on her at this point too, I'm not really sure what the best course would be here. It would probably be a good idea to call and ask a rabbit vet, we have listings of good rabbit vets here in the Library.

I can't believe the breeder told you you wouldn't need to separate them, that's incredibly irresponsible. Could it have been that he/she thought you might only buy one rabbit instead of two if you knew you would have to keep them separate?

I will give you a quick run-down on how rabbits breed, both for you and anyone lese reading thi that doens't already know. Rabbit do not have a heat cycle like a cat or dog, they are induced ovulators, which means they ovulate whenever they are exposed to a buck, and so can get pregnant at any time once they are sexually mature. Also, if a buck and doe are kept together, they will mate again within a matter of hours after the doe gives birth, so that the doe can literally have a litter every four weeks. That is why it is so easy for new bunny owners to become overrun with bunnies so fast.

I am from singapore.. will try to find a reputable vet here... i will see if i can fix an appointment tomorrow or on monday..

the owner said that if i want to breed the rabbits, then i will have to seperate them when they are 4 months old.. if not, i can leave them together.. they will mate, but will not get pregnant.. :shock: i just thought they will mate only when they are at least 4 months old.. so when i saw them mating today... i was quite shocked.. :biggrin2:

i will have to keep them apart from now on??

--> am having problems with the website.. keeps getting error when i post the reply.. hope this goes through..

Keep them separate until you can get them neutered and spayed. Once a male is neutered, you have to wait a couple of weeks for all his sperm to die off. A freshly neutered male can still impregnate a female up until a few weeks after his neuter.

Once they are spayed/neutered, you can bond them back together. I have three bonded pairs at the moment and many other members of this board have happily bonded pairs.

I believe we have at least one other member from Singapore. Hopefully they can help you with vet suggestions.

--Dawn

aurora369 wrote:
Keep them separate until you can get them neutered and spayed. Once a male is neutered, you have to wait a couple of weeks for all his sperm to die off. A freshly neutered male can still impregnate a female up until a few weeks after his neuter.
Very true. The recomended time to keep them separate is eight weeks after the neuter.

Hi guys.. thanks for all the replies..

my friend will help me take care of flakes for now.. have made an appointment with a good vet on Monday.. she told me snowy might be too young to be spayed, but she will have a better idea when she sees her.. :)

celineki wrote:
Hi guys.. thanks for all the replies..

my friend will help me take care of flakes for now.. have made an appointment with a good vet on Monday.. she told me snowy might be too young to be spayed, but she will have a better idea when she sees her.. :)
What did the bet say?

The vet told me that snowy is too young to be spayed.. cant tell whether she is pregnant yet or not, ask me to look out whether her stomach grows in the next 2 weeks...

she weighs 0.83 kg now.. :D vet said she's healthy.. but she has snuffles.. :X this is another reason why i brought her to the vet.. poor snowy has been sneezing.. she's on antibiotics now.. 2 times a day for 14 days..

Is it safe to give a bunny meds if she might be pregnant ? I'm asking because I really don't know, but I know that they try to keep woman off meds when they are pregnant so I imagine it would be similar with a tini bunny.... again though I really don't know, I'm not a vet lol.

i did ask the vet... but she said the snuffles has to be cured.. and we are not sure whether she is pregnant or not now..

i have major problem getting her to take the medicine.. i tried putting a bit of her fav. treat onto the syringe.. but she just wont take it.. would it be ok if i mixed the antibiotics with her pellets?? like, crush the pellets and mixed it with the antibiotics?

angieluv.. i got the idea of putting the syringe with her fav. treat from this thread.. hehe.. :biggrin2: i've tried many ideas from the thread, but snowy just wont take the medicine.. i even woke my brother up every morning to help me make snowy take her medicine.. but even with 2 of us, snowy just struggled so much that i think the medicine ended up on her face instead.. am getting worried..

i will try to mix the medicine with a few pellets today and see if she will take them.. she loves the pellets..

thanks!!

oh, and the antibiotic is liquid, but not flavoured..

I cant imagine it's hard to give non flavoured meds, mine are strawberry flavoured teehee. I wrap Winston in a bunny burrito when i have to give him meds, you just wrap him up so that he can't move, but loose enough that he can breath and make sure his head is out then sit him on your lap (whilst you're on the ground) and feed him the medicine, it only takes a minute or so that way. You just have to make sure that it's tight enough that she can't get out and loose enough that she can breath, sorry for being repetitive.

Kinda like this but Winston needs his paws covered too or he will escape.

http://www.binkybunny.com/Portals/0/images/monthly/GROOMBurrito.jpg

Latest posts

Back