2 possible new buns, opinions?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MelissaPenguin

Reaction score
I am talking to two ladies (they might be on here, I don't know! lol) about getting a Himi ND from one and a REW ND from the other.

What I know about the Himi:
She thought they were REW but they turned out to all be Himis. The parents are doe;sable
buck;REW.

What I know about the REW:
They were bred from BEWs. The parents are
doe; RGC BEW x REG BEW
buck; Black - VM x BEW (BEW markings)

I can get photos or more information if you need them. I know that these two shouldn't be bred together since one is Himi and one is REW from a BEW.

I would likely be getting other buns that I could breed to these ones for good markings. I currently don't have any ND but want to get into them. :)

I would think that breeding the REW to the Himi would give you more Himi marked babies even though the REW is out of BEW lines.

I'm not sure how the BEW/REW genes interact...it looks like if they get the REW genes it overrides the blue eyes of the BEW, so the REW could be VM or BEW underneath.... I imagine crossing them would most likely result in normal looking himis, with a slight chance of some REWs.

Since the himi's sire was REW, she'll have lighter than normal colors compared to a himi from two himis.

I would base my decision on which one to get off their conformation rather than their color, though, since color isn't as many points.

I probably wouldn't get such colors especially if you were newer and have never delt with the BEW genese and such. Or taking the chance of getting unshowable kits exc.

If you're just getting into ND's, so I suggest going with some easier colors, haha. REW can be tricky for the best of breeders. Nethies are a great, great breed and I would hate for you to get discouraged or frustrated because you chose a difficult color.

All that aside, I am crazy crazy crazy about black himis. :)

I really, REALLY love REWs though! haha

Maybe I'll get the REW for something to look forward to and start actually breeding with different colors. I love everything to do with NDs and would love to get into them. These would both be pedigreed buns. I'm just having a hard time deciding if I should get one...or both...or neither! lol

Latest posts

Back