2 bunnies?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxyzapfy

Reaction score
I have 1 make rabbit and he gets a lot of attention but I feel bad when I go to school and he sometimes gets lonely . I wanna get him a friend but I don't know if it should be a girl or boy?? and is it a good idea because max is so used to all my attention??

While you are in school, he's likely just napping and lounging so it isn't that big of a deal.

However, if you'd like to get a bondmate for him, first thing would be to neuter him (if he isn't already). Once he's neutered and has had a couple months for those hormones to dissipate, then you can begin looking for his bondmate. To find a bondmate, the only real way to ensure the two end up actually bonded is to work with a rabbit rescue.

The way that works is that you bring your boy in to meet some other fixed rabbits. Your bunny is the one that needs to do the choosing. If one seems like a potential (male or female doesn't matter, so long as both are fixed) then you get to bring them home and begin the bonding process.

For bonding, neutral territory is needed ( a place where neither bun has ever been before). It is a good idea to read up on bonding before beginning. Bear in mind, that bondings are as unique as the rabbits themselves. Some bonds go easily, some are more difficult, and sometimes they just don't work at all.

The advantage with going through a rabbit rescue is that not only are their rabbits already fixed (necessary to begin bonding), but they can guide you through the process. And if all else fails and a potential bondmate just won't work, they typically allow an exchange to ensure you wind up with a compatible pair.

Do a thorough search about the subject before attempting anything - the fact that it's not advisable to try to bond two males is the first info you'll find in any article about owning multiple rabbits so I'm guessing you didn't. Trying to bond rabbits without knowing what you're doing can end up very badly (like, with one of the rabbit suffering grievous injuries or with your parents making you surrender one or both of the rabbits because they are unbearable - an intact rabbit in the same house as another rabbit can bite, spray urine on people AND the furniture, hump everything, bite his cage / pen noisily all night long... don't think that's only for males either).
Go to rabbit.org, they have a ton of good articles on the subject, there are also a lot of threads answering the basic concerns about bonding on this forum. Of course, if you have any additional question, you can ask here.

The BEST info you can get is from EXPERIENCED owners and rescues. The internet is full of good and bad information.

As long as BOTH rabbits are fixed, then it is really up to the rabbit's personalities and it is best that the rabbit makes that decision (such as going through a rabbit rescue is a great idea).

I've known/know several people who have had males together, females together, male/female together, or groups of mixed genders together and as long as ALL rabbits are fixed they CAN get along ... it depends on the rabbits, of course.

Having said that, I have little personal experience. My current rabbits are all living in separate cages BUT they are not fixed (no aggression issues to me, either, except for one female that can be a bit territorial).

It's true that it's up to the rabbit's personality. But it's also true that you have a much higher percentage of success with a male/female (both fixed!) couple and that the pairing is a lot more likely to be stable through time with no power struggle. I've seen many people attempting to bond 2 males together and have seen it succeed a handful of times (and with occasional scuffles still) whereas I've only seen a handful of occurrences where a male / female pairing irrevokably failed even with careful bonding. It's what all rabbit rescues, vets and breeders I've talked to or read articles from say as well (and believe me, I'm kinda obsessive and have read a lot on the subject). So I really recommend taking the easiest way, avoiding the 2 males (the fact that they seem to get along when they meet is absolutely no guarantee that they will still get along in a month - there is a thread right now on this forum from someone struggling with two brothers who were bonded for a short while and are now fighting and I see the exact same problem coming up all the time in every rabbit forum I go to) especially if you are not experienced in bonding rabbits. That's what I did, I "bonded" two male/female couples, it went swimmingly after a day each time and there was no fighting at all ever. I'm not saying it is always that easy, but your odds are a lot better that way.
That result is completely understandable too: in a natural state, a male rabbit will share a burrow with females, never with another male even less with a male ONLY. The best configuration is having the male first, as he is generally quite happy to share with a female as it corresponds to his natural instinct.

Beside, I recommended rabbit.org which is the website of the house rabbit society - they have a ton of articles (real life experience and more theoretical ones) which are all well documented and accurate. It's the best source of info about rabbit available in the English language on the Internet for the big first time owner issues (diet, bonding, housing...) and they manage tons of rescues so they know what they are talking about when it comes to bonding. Their website is also a good place to start to find a rescue...

before you jump in with both feet ask yourself this question..
if the bond does not go well or breaks down with nasty repercussions (bites, wounds etc) are you prepared
1. for a possible vet visit with bills?
2. to house two rabbits separately for the rest of their lives.

thank u so much guys I think I'm gonna stick with just my boy right now!😝

Latest posts

Back