1st vet visit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PepperGrl

Reaction score
I'm taking my two buns to the vet thisafternoon. Pepper hasn't been yet and I want to take the newbunny i adopted in for a check up because he wasn't living in the bestof conditions when I got him. I'm going to have them bothsexed for sure (I am pretty sure Pepper is female and my new bun is amale, even though the girl told me female) and I want to schedule aneuter for the male because I think he is big enough. Myquestion is.... I bought collapsable small dog carriers to take them tothe vet in but I can't really put water and food in there with them orit will go everywhere. Do they really need food and water togo on a vet visit or will they be ok for a little while withoutit. I thought the stress of a car ride might be bad enough innew carriers without taking away their food and water. Pepperhas been on trips before with me, but we've taken her in her cage andshe was fine. Now we can't because she has a big NIC cage nowand I can't keep both of them together in the same cage:shock: Just don't know for sure what to do.Suggestions?

Thanks,

Jamie

I generally just throw some hay in for them, butthey rarely ever eat it. I've never had any issues with doingso...but my vet is only about 20 minutes away...guess it depends on howfar your going..but if its not far, I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks PGG... that's what I was wondering... vetis about 20 minutes away too. I'll do the haything. How is Corky doing by the way???

Jamie

Anytime I put food and/or water in my rabbitsPet Taxi she never touches it. But make sure that you have a sample oftheir poop. I took my rabbit to the vet for the first time and wasn'taware that I had to have a poop sample, they spent 10 minutes trying tomake her poop. when they finally realized that she wasnt going to theysent us home to get some from her litter box.

I didn't know that... thanks for the tip...definitely will save me a drive... I will put some in their carrierswith them... I'm glad i asked :D

Jamie

i just brought victoria for her first vet visitthis morning! ;)I have those super pet carriers, theyre goodb/c they have the handle ontop so i am able to slip the seatbeat thruit andbuckle the bunnies in. my vet is only about 15mins awayso i just stuff hay and there and like a little hand towel incase theydecide to have to go #1. Im not a fan of the water bottles in thecar..the bumps in the road make the water leak everywhereeee....freddys been on his share of car rides (its an hour commute betweenmy house n my boyfriends)and doesnt seem to mind beingwaterless for an hour..he just sprawls out in his carrier and hangs out

oh oh :Dand goodluck at the vet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks... I will let everyone know how itgoes. I know Pepper is fine in the care... haven't seen herin this new carrier but it is not a long drive. Don't knowhow the new bunny will do but we will see. Thanks for thewarm wishes. I just hope they are both healthy and that myboy bunny is ready to be neutered!:shock:

Jamie

Corkys doin well thanks....another checkuptonite...I "think" he's putting on some weight...anxious to see onthat....still just waiting for that nasty sore to fall off!!

I'll post after we go tonite...thanks for asking tho!

Hope your visit goes well and everyone is healthy!

Just got back from the vet... he says Pepper isvery healthy, 2lbs. and not a lot of abdominal fat... vet was excitedto hear I was feeding her Pineapple (at this point I bragged about thegreat forum I was on) and he said he wished more people did theirresearch about buns. He was an excellent vet, really goodwith both the buns. I guess this clinic doesa lotof work on the rescue rabbits here in Indiana, which made me reallyhappy :clap:. Pepper is a female.. like I thought.. andButterscotch is a male and is schedule to be"snipped":shock2:eek:n Friday... vet said he was definitelyready. He told me to keep hanging around him because he is alot more nervous and anxious than Pepper was about the visit(Iexplained about his past home) and vet was happy that he is now gettinga better diet. All in all.. first vet trip went suprisinglywell and I"m happy with my vet. Both buns are healthy and allI have is a scratch on the face from Butterscotch who freaked out oncewhile I was holding him... can't blame the poor guy though. Iwill let everyone know how his neuter goes... doc says that he usesinternal stiches and surgical glue so that nothing gets pulledout. Oh one more thing.. .I had to laugh when the vetreceptionist tried to tell me to hold off on food and water forFriday... the doc all ready warned me not to listen to them becausethey know nothing about the difference between a rabbit neuter and allother animals. Thanks to this forum.. I knew the differencetoo! Thanks again everyone.

P.S. PGG, I'm sooooooo glad to hear your cutie Corky is doingbetter! Such a cute bun... and such a good bunny mommy!

Thanks again,

Jamie

Latest posts

Back