1st time Bunny Mommy with a few questions :))

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Envyme

Reaction score
Hello-

My name is Kate aka Envyme. I am from Southern California. I am a first time Bunny mom to Delilah who is 4 months 2 weeks old. I have had her for about a month now. She is a Blue Dutch who loves to hop and jump around my room. My boyfriend built her a condo kind of like the NIC Cubes (or something like that). It is two stories and she loves it. I let her roam my room most of the day unless I am leaving. I work from 8a-5p M-F. My boyfriend works from home and stops in to play with her here and there throughout the day. At first he wasn't keen on getting a bunny but now he just adores here and (as I said before) even made her a large condo. I am thinking of having him make it into a 3 story condo soon :)

I have 2 small doggies who are seperated from Delilah. I want to give Delilah the best possible life I can. So, I have a few questions given that I have never owned a bunnybefore. :) Please bare with me ;)

1. I try to play with her for 2 hrs a day M-F and several hrs a day (more then 3) on Sat and Sun. Is this enough time with her? I adore every moment I spend with Delilah. I have to split up the time (2 hrs with the pups and 2 hrs with her). My bf works from home and does spend time with her here and there throughout the day.

2. I give her Sun Seed Sunscription Vita Prima Rabbit Pellets for young bunnies and I wanted to switch her food (same brand) but to a slightly diff. formula called Sun Seed Sunaturals Rabbit Food. My question is: Do I need to mix the two foods together even though they are the same brand and similar ingredients in order to avoid an upset tummy?

3. Should I be feeding her pellets freely at this age? I was feeding her 4 small handfuls a day = just over 1/4 cup. But I read they should be given limited pellets so I just started yesterday giving her 1/4 cup per day. I feed her 1/2 of the 1/4 cup in the am and the last 1/2 in the evening. Should I be limiting pellets at this age to 1/4 cup a day?

4. I want to start introducing greens into her diet. My vet said that it was ok to start that now...but slowly. So, I purchased some baby Bok Choy from Trader Joes. I gave her some on Sat. she had a bit of loose stool but it seemed to clear up with a few hrs and she was/is eating lots of hay. So I have been giving her a little every day and twice yesterday she got a few pieces. I have been doing this for 3 days (today being the 3rd day). When can I add a new green to her diet?

Thanks foryour help and advice :)

Kate - Hi and welcome to the forums.

Till about 6mos.of age I believe it's fine to let her eat as much as she can.
Btw, when she hits 6mos.of age you can gradually start to switch her feed to a Timothy-based pellet - alfalfa is fine for young rabbits and nursing does, but too rich for adults.
Great that she's eating lots of hay - they need that to keep their GI tuned-up.
I would mix in a tablespoon of the new feed into the old until you're sure she has adjusted to it.

As for greens, I'd give her 7 days with one kind, then gradually introduce another, one at a time - in case she has problems with one kind, then you can determine easily which green doesn't agree with her if that occurs.

Sound like she's getting plenty of attention from you and your boy-friend.

Any pics?

p.s I have had good results using this brand for my adults and babies - also noticed that it is quite a bit cheaper if you're also ordering the other on-line.
Always had very fast service, and never had any problems with their pellets or hay:

http://www.sweetmeadowfarm.com/pel_rabblend2.html

Hi-

Thanks for sharing the site with me :) I will check it out. I do have a few pics. I will post when I get home tonight. My bf just messaged me saying how Delilah keeps jumping up on our dresser and then jumps behind it where all of our shoes are. She seems to be infatuated with this area. We try to put up cardboard boxes to block it and everything else imaginable but no such luck! Any recs to keep her out of there? She just loves it...I wonder if that is due to it being so dark behind there...?

Thanks again for the warm welcome! :)

Hey Kate :)

Delilah sounds gorgeous.

1) Her cage sounds a good size- if she is in it from 8-5pm then it needs to be big. She'll need 3 hours exercise a day minimum, out of her cage, which she appears to be getting, which is great; make sure she has a good, large space to tear round as fast as she can, leap and binky to her heart's content. :)
That's great that ur bf plays with her throughout the day while you at work- she needs that. Make sure she has lots of toys to play with while you are at work, and this will keep her occupied, and perhaps a yummy bowl of mixed veg just before you leave (after you have established which ones agree with her etc.)

2) I would slowly decrease the old food and slowly increase the new, mixing them together, for about 7 days. This will just make sure it's not a shock to her little system.
Have you tried Burgess pellets? I use Burgess Suparabbit Excel for Junior and Dwarfs, for my two babies (they are dwarfs), and I find it excellent. It's quite a common brand and seems to be very good and popular.

3/4)

There seems to be a lot of conflicting views about how much pellets and veggies a rabbit should have, but here is my view, which I think it the majority view amongst rabbit lovers.

A rabbit's diet should be make up of good quality pellets, fresh vegetables, water and plenty of fresh, good quality hay, with fruit as a treat.

Hay should be unlimited, fresh and good quality.

Vegetables: slowly introduce them into new vegetables (check on safe lists such as http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/safefoods.htm)
and see which vegetables they like, which agree with them and which don't etc.

I tend to give my rabbits about a 1/4 cup of pellets every day (approx), and about 2 cups of chopped veggies eg. carrot, kale, cabbage, parsnip, parsley etc.
I change their veggies every day, and try and give them a mix of three different ones each day.

I also give them a few chunks of apple, or banana, or a few craisins every day.

I tend to see how much they eat, what they leave etc. and judge my quantities by that.
Start out with the recommended amount for Delilah's age, and then change it slightly to see what suits her best. If she scoffs it all in a minute, maybe increase her pellets slightly or her veggies slightly. If she leaves lots then give her less tomorrow.
She is only 4 months old so is still growing, and so needs lots of good food.

Some say unlimited pellets for rabbits up to 1 year old? I am not too sure whether this is true- maybe someone can comment on this?

Anyway- good luck with it all. Just make sure she gets plenty of fresh veggies, about a 1/4 of a cup of pellets (or a few handfuls) and check to make sure she is not getting any diarroeah after her veggies. If so, reduce them, and start reintroducing them separately, to see if it's a specific vegetable that has caused this.

I'm sorry if this is a right babbly mess lol!:biggrin2:

Hi Jen,

Thanks for your quick reply :) I am looking over the list of bunny safe vegies to see what else I can add slowly to her diet.

I am sorry if I wasn't clear about her living situation LOL...Delilah is out of her cage in our room free roaming (we have a smaller room but she has enough space (I think) to do her jumps and run around in cicles and twist in the air. I wish she had even more room but it is large enough for her to be able to run a large circle and hop several times before reaching her cage. Her chage is left open 24/7 and she is put into a smaller cage where she can do 2-2 1/2 hops in at night from 9:00 pm to 6:30 am only when we are asleep bc she is loud at night...through a lot of the night... :( I wish I could keep her in her condo in our room at night but I need to sleep lol.

Oh well that's fantastic! If it's a room then it will definately be large enough.

Sounds like you're a pretty savvy first time bunny mum! :D

Envyme wrote:
1. I try to play with her for 2 hrs a day M-F and several hrs a day (more then 3) on Sat and Sun. Is this enough time with her? I adore every moment I spend with Delilah. I have to split up the time (2 hrs with the pups and 2 hrs with her). My bf works from home and does spend time with her here and there throughout the day.
I would think so most people spend that amount of time with their buns. Thats about what storms gets a day. Storms cage is in our living room so he sees me and dogs and hubby throughout the day even if in his cage.

2. I give her Sun Seed Sunscription Vita Prima Rabbit Pellets for young bunnies and I wanted to switch her food (same brand) but to a slightly diff. formula called Sun Seed Sunaturals Rabbit Food. My question is: Do I need to mix the two foods together even though they are the same brand and similar ingredients in order to avoid an upset tummy?
Yes I would do as other have sugested and switch over about a week. Start with a small amount of the new pellets and slowly add more every day over a week tell your completly at the new pellets.

3. Should I be feeding her pellets freely at this age? I was feeding her 4 small handfuls a day = just over 1/4 cup. But I read they should be given limited pellets so I just started yesterday giving her 1/4 cup per day. I feed her 1/2 of the 1/4 cup in the am and the last 1/2 in the evening. Should I be limiting pellets at this age to 1/4 cup a day?
4. I want to start introducing greens into her diet. My vet said that it was ok to start that now...but slowly. So, I purchased some baby Bok Choy from Trader Joes. I gave her some on Sat. she had a bit of loose stool but it seemed to clear up with a few hrs and she was/is eating lots of hay. So I have been giving her a little every day and twice yesterday she got a few pieces. I have been doing this for 3 days (today being the 3rd day). When can I add a new green to her diet?

Thanks foryour help and advice :)
I think the rule of thumb at this age is free rain pellets. Free rain hay no matter what age. And I think some people start adding vegys at this age. between 6 and 8 months people tend to start switching over to adult based pellets witch by that I mean timothy based.

Note read the sun seed label some of there adult based are alpha based. Thats what my local pet shop carries is the alpha based adult food he cant find the timothy based adult food.

Hope this helps

I wanted to chime in something about the food, if that's okay...

In choosing a pellet food for your bun, the best rule of thumb is to pick something that is just pellets...nothing else added (like dried fruit or seeds or corn pieces). For one thing, seeds and corn are quite dangerous to give a bun, as they have a difficult time digesting the hulls, and it might cause a digestive problem or blockage.

My best suggestion would be to consider switching to Kaytee Supreme Daily Blend (alfalfa hay-based for young buns) or Kaytee Timothy Complete (Timothy hay-based for adult rabbits), if you're unable to get more expensive foods.

Depending on where you are in Southern California (where I just moved from about a month ago), I have a place that you'd be able to buy Oxbow foods for your buns at-cost (in other words, $10 for 10lbs of food). Let me know if you'd like their information. If that's a bit above what you are able to afford, that's totally okay...and the Kaytee foods I mentioned above (just those two) are a wonderful alternative.

Also as far as hay...I have a few places I can recommend that you can get fresh hay either by the flake or by the bale. I'm guessing in having one bun, you'd want to get it by the flake, which is a section of a bale. You can get a flake of fresh, green Timothy hay for about $7 at a place called DaMoore's Feed and Tack (in Glendale). Their number is 818-242-2841. You can also get a 35lb bag of wood pellet litter (which is AWESOME) for about $7. It lasts a long time and is excellent for odor control. I just put a big layer of hay on top, and it's wonderful! :)

I hope some of this helps! I love that you guys built an NIC cage for your baby...that's wonderful! :)

Hugs,

Rosie*

You know I have another question. I noticed Delilah was not very friendly or sociable today. More standoffish then usual. I came in the room during the evening and she just spent most of the time in her cage. She came out twice for treats but went back in her cage. She didn't seem to want me to pet her too much. She is eating hay and pellets and she is grooming herself and drinking...I just don't know what it is. The only recent things that have changed are me limiting her pellets to 1/4 cup (which I may just let her free feed on them until she is a bit older). I have just recently introduced greens, and my bf blocked the dresser today which she LOVES to try and get behind. Could that be upsetting her?

I mean she never really comes over to stand in my lap unless I have a treat for her (on a normal day). She doesn't play with toys much at all. I have toys up the ringer for her. I have a willow ball, a chew mat for bunnies, a rainbow mini bridge which she sometimes chews on, empty egg cartons, raddles, and on and on the list goes but I can't seem to find anything she really likes to play with or entertain herself with :( I feel like she must get bored throughout the day. I spend time with her and she really only likes to be pet on her head and body. Is this due to the fact that she is really bored with life?

I want to get her a playmate male fixed rescue bunny but my bf says NO and he said she is happy the way she is now. He reminded me today of what happened when I got a "friend" for my pup Joey. He apparently did not want a friend and is a one person kind of a dog...which I found out after I brought home a female fixed friend for him. I just don't know what to do? Maybe I am over reacting lol. I dunno...I just have a huge place in my heart for animals and I hate to see them unhappy.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance :)

xoxo

I have to say...you really have a wonderfully big heart for your animals. I just love seeing people like that! :)

It sounds like yes, she could very well be pouting and "punishing" you for blocking the dresser. My Maisie is like that...she'll punish me for DAYS about something like that. Not to mention, she could be "punishing" you for the food change, too. These buns sure can be princesses, can't they? :)

It sounds like you're doing a wonderful job by your girl. Just give her time. It's actually good that she's being like that...as far as not giving you the time of day in response. It shows she's comfortable with you already. :)

And as far as toys...remind me how old she is? Also, what type of bun is she, as in possible breed? If you don't know, you can always post a picture and ask in the Rabbitry section. :)

Hugs to you and your girl!

Rosie*

Hi Rosie-

Thanks again for all of the info and support.

Delilah is 4 months and a few weeks old. She is a Blue Dutch. I think you are right...she is paying me back and pouting for blocking the dresser. Buns sure are funny ;) I also have been giving her fewer fruit treats...I just pick them out of her food dish and feed them to her as treats vs just letting her eat them at her will. I have cut back on that a bit too now that I think of it. I was giving her these clusters that were sweet and I think had seeds in them by Kaytee. She loves them but no more. I read they are not good for her so those are out.

xoxo

Aww...too cute. Your girl sounds beautiful. You should be able to continue free-feeding her for at least a couple more months. I know that Maisie (who's a dwarf mix...smaller rabbits mature faster) was ready for adult food and amounts at about six months of age. She started having excess cecals (which you can read about here and a picture of them here) from eating alfalfa-based food, so I had to switch her to a Timothy-based food. (In Maisie's case, the cecals were a result of her diet containing too much protein.)

You're very welcome for the info. Anything I can do to help! :)

Rosie*

Hey Kate;

Your girl could also be going through typical teen-ager stuff -my female lop Smudge is a little over 3mos.old and has her days when she wants my attention, and others when she just gives me that *look* 'oh YOU again, sigh'.
If she is otherwise healthy, I wouldn't worry too much.
I don't want to cause dissension in your family, but generally another bun can really help combat boredom.
Some buns like being the only one, but that hasn't seemed true of mine so far. But that's a decision for you and your bf to make.
My general experience with rabbits is also the females can tend to be a bit more stand-offish, of course, there's always exceptions as people here on the forums can attest, lol.

Hi Kate:

It sounds like you are doing an awesome job with Delilah. I just wanted to point out that if you are interested in getting a companion for her and are worried about them not getting along, many rescues will do "bunny dates". I would wait until after she is spayed though. Personally, I think bonded pairs are so cute. I love to watch them play and groom each other.

Hope that helps!

To be honest, it sounds as though you give Delilah lots of attention and time, so hopefully she is not lonely.
Rabbits can go through 'blue' days like us, so perhaps she is just having a depressed few days as her diet has changed, and her fav place is out of bounds lol.
As mentioned before- bunny dates are a great idea. You can bring ur bun to a rescue and have little bunny dates to see which ones your bunny may get along with.

Good luck! :D

Thanks for all of the great words of wisdom! I have soo much to learn still. I am curious if I can talk my bf into a companion do they need to be the same breed? Also, she is not fixed yet so I am wondering if the male is already fixed would it be an issue to take her on a bunny date at a local rescue? I am going to get her fixed but want to wait until she is 6 months old. My bf feels that another bun could mean double the trouble and mess to clean up...and so on. He also feels our room is too small for another bun. Would they need seperate chages to live in?

:)

Well firstly, they don't need to be the same breed. Perhaps some people would find it nice to get the same breed- same living space etc. but tbh it doesn't really matter.

I would get a male, like you said, for compatibility purposes, but if you find she falls in love with a female buddy then there's no problem getting a female either.

Waiting until she is 6 months old before spaying is advisable. I would also wait until then to get her a companion, as hormones can change once they are neutered, and sometimes bonds can break. Of course, not all the time, but it's a risk you could run.

Also, waiting another few months will give you time to prepare, and see if you may change your mind.

There are a few ways you can do your next query: whether two cages are necessary.

If you go to a rescue, and a bunny date goes well, the rescue may offer a bonding service, where they take both bunnies for a week or so and bond them. When you get them both back, they can live quite happy in the same cage. You won't need two.
Also, bonded bunnies like to spend the nights together etc. and that would be the time they would be most lonely.

Another way you could do this, is to have a bunny date go well, and purchase/adopt the bunny.
Bring the bunny home and keep the two in separate cages, close to one another.
After a few weeks of switching cages etc. but not allowing them to physically touch eachother, then start to bond them yourself.
Do this by introducing them slowly, in a neutral territory- eg. the bathroom is always great :).
Start at just one minutes time together. Have a broom handy (and I used to wear workers gloves) and reward any good behaviour (snuggles, grooms, sniffs, flops, generally ignoring each other) and correct bad behaviour (nips, humping, circling, growling etc.).

Increase the time etc. until they are constantly well behaved together. Perhaps then leave them for a few hours totally alone (once bonding has gone very well for a long time) in a seperate room to you, but so you can hear noises if they fight.

As for the mess- cleaning up after two rabbits is not all that different to cleaning up after just one. Litter train them if you haven't already, and it will be fairly easy. It will take a little longer, but not much.

Good luck with it all!!:D

Jen

Most vets will spay at 4 months. My own two were spayed at 4 months with no problems and our rescue also spays at 4 months. That is a personal decision though. I recommend waiting until at least a month after the spay to attempt a bunny date. You have a better chance at bonding success if Delilah's hormones are given a chance to diminish.

Great bonding advise Jen! As Jen said, two bunnies aren't any harder to take care of than one. Four, though, is another story, lol!! Actually, I change the litter pan for my bonded pair every other day as compared to every four days for my two singles. So I guess it is a little more work.

Thanks Patti :) Lol yeah I bet four is a bit trickier!:p Especially if they are having a mischevious day I suspect.

I didn't realise you could spay at 4 months. I guess it depends on ur bun and how you feel they would cope. If they are a tiddly bunny still I guess you'd wait longer. That's what happened with my Pippin; the vets recommended just waiting another month or so because he was SO tiny. As I couldn't be positive of his age (give or take perhaps 2 or 3 weeks) they said just give it another month or so just because he was so small.

Wow- I had no idea it was best to wait until Delilah is fixed before introducing a new bun. I am still working on my bf ;) Trying to explain the benefit for Delilah to have a buddy! I am making progress...hehe. Anwhoo, I will keep that in mind and put my search for a friend on hold until she is fixed :) I gave Delilah some wheat grass today for the first time and boy does she love it. Can I give her as much as she would like now or should I go really slow like with the other greens? She really loves that organic wheatgrass!

Latest posts

Back