14 week old bunny buildig a nest ????????

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kat70

Reaction score
Hi,

Put postings on about my new bun.

Anyway i got up this morning to feed her, shes pulled her fur out, ripped up paper and built a nest !!She was gathering hay in her mouth and building it all day.

Ive had her 1 week , when i got her she was in a hutch with other does NOT BUCKS ! Bucks were in separate hutches.I have a Boy bunny but she HAS NOT been with him.

Isnt 14 weeks a little young for this behaviour????She is a Giant so they dont reach maturity til around 9 month.She is too young to be spayed also.

Any ideas , it must be a phantom one but why so young????:shock:

Is she a small rabbit? It is not uncommon for smaller breeds to start maturing faster. I have had them start their "hormonal attitude" as young as 12 weeks!

Sharon

How odd! Sounds like she is very clucky. She might have smelt a lot of your boy rabbit in the week and it's gotten her wanting to make house. If you are planning to breed her in future she should make a good mum, at least at the nest building part :D.

Yes its really strange as there is NO possible way she is pregnant.She's built a proper nest though.Ironically she's trying to get out of her hutch to my boy bunny! ;).

Anyway he's getting neutered next week !

I guess it's like a little girl playing with a doll in it's pram :D, she is just having day dreams about being a mum :bunnydance:.

Phantom pregnancies are really common in female rabbits. She'll probably forget the nest after a couple of days, leave it there until she has or she'll just pull out more fur to make a new one.

I'd never say never with pregnancy though, it would be very unlikely at her age considering giants are slower to mature. But even experienced breeders can sometimes make a mistake with sexing so just because the litter appeared seperated into boys/girl don't rule anything out. I'm presuming you got her from a breeder and not the large chain petstore that's recently started selling them. If it was the later don't rule anything out, I've known a few boys nest build too :shock:

Hi,

No i got her from a Breeder.

This is why i find it highly unlikley she is pregnant.She is busy still building now!Ive had her just over a week.Obviously all males and females were in seperate hutches so she has been near but not with males.I find it strange at such a young age to do this ive never had a Doe does this so young! Ive left the nest and will leave it a couple of days til she loses interest in it.

I have a boy whos off to be neutered next week .

Rabbits build nest just before giving birth, so thinking about it a bit more she'd have had to get pregnant at 10 weeks. That's not in possible but not at all likely in a giant breed :)

Hi,

Thats what i thought.Shesaround 14 weeks old .Im at the vets today with my cat im going to give them a ring to see if i can squeeze her in as she needs a myxi jab anyway .

I agree that pregnancy isn't likely, but still something to consider. The fact that you got her from a breeder certainly doesn't rule the likelihood out if he/she was still keeping the litter together (mistakes in sexing - even by experienced breeders - is not uncommon).

If she's 14 weeks of age and you got her a week ago, she was possibly with her litter mates up to 13 weeks of age. Pregnancy is possible as early as 12 weeks of age - have seen it happen, although pregnancy this young can often result in miscarriage.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that she's just going through a hormonal stage ;)

Pam

Latest posts

Back