11 month old Netherland Dwarf with an Eye Issue---HELP PLEASE

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mewlingcricket

Reaction score
Hey everyone my 11 month old netherland dwarf Monica has an eye thing going on. At first it just looked like she was missing a little fur near her eye, wierd but these things can happen. Then today we took her out for some morning play time. She was in her run and digging and playing happily while we were doing stuff in the yard and keeping an eye on her. When time was up we went to get her and she had dug herself a burrow!!!! She came out when we called her but when we brought her into the house and got ready to put her in her cage, I noticed her eye was worse. After looking at it I grabbed a pick so that hopefully some one can help me with an idea of how to help her, there are no vets (that work with rabbits) open on sunday. Since I took the picture my husband used a q-tip and got some of the dirt off, it looks a little better but she wouldn't let me take another picture. What do you all think?

12828_271008_580000000.jpg
This is Monica

12828_271008_590000001.jpg

This is her eye today......help!!!!!

It looks like their is some dirt around it but it also looks as if it is runny and the fur around it is wet. Am I correct ?
Runny eyes can be cause by many things including blocked tear ducts , dental problems etc.

here are our library articles

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=14567&forum_id=10
Probably a good idea to go to a rabbit knowledgeable vet and have her examined.

I'd get some eye drops from the pet store or saline and thoroughly flush out the eye. It looks as though she may have gotten some foreign matter in her eye that irritated it. If it still looks bad on Monday then you can take her to a vet but it doesn't look like she has any severe eye trauma.

You can get some saline eye rinse at a people pharmacy to rinse the grit away. It is normally found where contact cleaning fluids are found, but make sure it is just a plain saline.

-Dawn

If this continues, she could have a blocked tear duct or a tear duct that frequently gets blocked. Our bunny Frida occasionally gets a blocked tear duct and we have an antibiotic eye ointment for this. I guess that she is more prone to bacterial infections of the duct because it is small (netherlands have smooshed faces--she too is a Nethie).

Latest posts

Back