1 of my bonded pair died

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Random531

Reaction score
Hello

Today, one of my rabbits sadly passed away. They were 2 sisters and we have had them for almost 3 years now.

Now I can't help but think if she suffered or not. She was laying on her side on a corner with her head back, mouth closed and eyes closed. Looked like she was sleeping, except the head thingy. Did she suffer long? She showed no signs of ilness and earlier this morning she ate well.

Now another question, the other rabbit doesn't seem bothered by it, not at all, she is acting like it never happend. Is this normal? They got along pretty well so it's weird. And what do I do now, my parents don't want to get an extra. Can my remaining rabbit still be happy alone?

Thanks already

Some rabbits adjust well to a single life. Others do not. Is she an indoor rabbit? Does she get to roam/exercise daily? Indoor rabbits often do well single.

Give it some time to see how she does. It may take a couple months. I had one rabbit that starting acting up after becoming single. She was the only rabbit I had that reacted this way. She apparently needed the companionship of another rabbit. My other rabbits adjusted fine. My current one became more interactive with us after his bondmate passed.

No, outdoor. She has 2 cages connected by some small fences, that are available 24/7 so she can exercise daily. I also let her run in the garden every now and then. She still seems fine but it is heartbreaking to see her alone waiting for a treat, but i don't think she cares about it what so ever. Thank you for your answer! Anyone else that could share his opinion please?

Last edited:
I'm so sorry to hear about your bunn! They're so good at hiding signs of illness, sometimes you don't know something is wrong until it's too late. Let's hope whatever happened was quick... and be thankful she at least had her sister by her side for comfort at the end.

Anyway, I second what Blue eyes said. There's no one-size-fits-all answer but yes, many rabbits do just fine without a bonded companion. If your remaining rabbit isn't acting depressed and is eating normally, etc. then I wouldn't worry. Some rabbits grieve harder than others, some need company more than others (just like people). It sounds like she's coping with the loss very well.

A little update: 1 month later, she still acts the same, except for the fact that now she lets me pet her and even pick her up. She was always scared to come inside since it was slippery but recently she stands by our door. The thing is it seems like she is trying to make friends with our 2 semi-indoor cats (they can in the garden, which is big but high walls so they can't get any further) but the cats are to scared to come in contact. Idk if scared is the right word, they just back off when she runs towards them. Will they ever become friends with eachother? I think she wants the contact with them.

Some rabbits and cats will get along. There are some members on here that have cats that do well with their rabbits, but I can't recall who. Concerns that I would have are making sure no biting or scratching occurs as this can result in a deadly infection for the rabbit. Also making sure there is no exposure to the cats litter box, feces(treponematosis risk) or clumping litter(GI blockage risk).
https://www.catsandrabbitsandmore.com/cats___rabbits_together

i had the same thing happen earlier this year. A bonded pair of 6 years. Same thing, I found the one on her back and she had died. She was fine that morning, ate was playing; and then she just died. I was so upset. My other bun was cleaning her when i found her. Sophie, the survivor hid for a few days; but, was eating fine after that. She was never one for petting or being picked up; but, she has completely changed since then. She became my best friend. I spent so much time with her, she even napped with me a couple of times. She has turned out to be the sweetest little girl now. She loves to cuddle and be held. I could tell she was lonely for a companion, so i tried to be there for her. I still felt bad, as i have to go to work so i can't be with her 24-7. Then a couple of months ago i got her a new companion. They hit it off after a month or so, and now are fully bonded. My new bun is a baby and I think Sophie thinks she is her's for some reason. She is so protective of her it is so cute. But, she is still my best friend. Still loves me and is a little cuddle bun.
It seems like your bunny is lonely, if she is going after the cats and waiting by the door. You may just get yourself a new best friend like I did. It is hard losing a friend or a sister. They may act the same; but, all rabbits act differently after a loss. She needs a friend right now to get over her loss. I would take advantage; but, if you don't have the time you could always try getting another bunny for her.
Good Luck. It is so hard losing one of a bonded pair.

Latest posts

Back