I found my perfect bunny - UPDATE: WE GOT HER!!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnowyShiloh

Reaction score
We went to the fair this evening with the plan of getting another bunny if one really called to me. My husband gave me permission earlier this year to get a Holland Lop. For those who don't know, I had the fortune of being loved by the sweetest, most wonderful little Holland Lop for a very short 5 months 2 1/2 years ago. My little Tallulah. I loved her with all my heart- she was a very special girl. She had a lot of health problems though and died suddenly at the age of 5 months, leaving me absolutely devastated for months. I still think about my girl every day. There was just something about her and the bond we shared. As much as I love Phoebe Mae and Ned (who we got after Tallulah died), I have not felt that hopeless love for a bunny since or looked at a bunny and felt that I absolutely needed to have it (except for a cousin of Tallulah's that had her face). It's like my heart has hardened itself in some ways.

So when we decided to get another Holland Lop, I promised myself that I would wait until I found the perfect one for me- one that seemed to say "I'm yours!" when I looked at it. Well, that happened tonight at the fair- there was a young Holland Lop breeder and her mother there. They had about 10 Hollands entered, all different colors. I talked to them for a few minutes and really liked them, and they seemed to really like me. They even offered me one of their rabbits that they hadn't intended on selling. The bunny was very sweet- a 4 month old black otter doe- and of course I liked her, but I didn't feel that connection.

Then I saw another of their bunnies. A little 3 month old sable point Holland Lop named Purity. Just a gorgeous little bunny with the sweetest face. They let me hold her and her fur was so soft and ears so silky. They were amazed by how much she liked me, too- she was completely at ease in my arms and grinding her teeth happily (vs from fear) and even lay on her back in my arms. Such a doll! I loved her instantly in a way I haven't loved a pet since Tallulah. She was MY baby. Unfortunately, they sold Purity a couple of days ago to a woman with little kids at home who is going to come pick her up tomorrow. They told me they wished I'd come in earlier because they would have picked me over the other lady, but it is what it is. I feel gutted that the bunny that I love is going home with someone else tomorrow. I don't know what exactly about her was so perfect, but there was something. This may sound ridiculous, but my eyes were tearing up when I had to leave her. They took down my name and phone number in case it falls through with the other person. Is it bad of me to hope it does fall through? If it does, clearly she was meant to be mine! If it doesn't, well, they gave me their phone number and I'm going to call in a few weeks because they're expecting 3 litters in the next couple of weeks. Hopefully I'll find my little baby among them if that's what we end up doing.

IMG_4450JPGresized.jpg

IMG_4442JPGresized.jpg

Isn't she sweet? I just wanted to share this with you guys because you're bunny folk and I thought maybe someone would understand.

Gee darn, I was hoping this meant she was home with you! Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! Glad you will look into the litters though. I'm sure there is a pretty good chance of you finding your bunner! I cannot wait til you do!

Oh..This sucks!

Im sorry you didn't get your bunny :( It's sad, I know but you know what?

Everything happens for a reason!

You shouldn't be too upset because this means there is a bunny out there that is meant to be with you, just gotta go find him/her!
You'll find the one for you soon, Im sure of it.

:biggrin:

I woke up this morning and ran downstairs to check the answering machine (we don't have a phone upstairs) and my e-mail in case they called! No call. I have their phone number though so am going to give it a few days, then call and ask about the other litters and of course ask if Purity is with her new owners.

I don't know why she just seems like the perfect girl for me. Usually I'm drawn to bunnies with broken patterns, if anything, or torts/sooty fawns (ones that look like a bunny named Macy whose owner used to post on here a lot, Paul and I loved her rabbit!). Purity has the sweetest little face and just seems like a little bit of heaven.

Also I want to clarify that I DO love Ned and Phoebe Mae. I love them like mad. They certainly do not receive insufficient love or attention from me. They are very special, sweet bunnies and I'm very glad I have them. Phoebe Mae helped me heal after Tallulah's death more than anything else ever could, and Ned is such a source of love and laughter and happiness in our house! And of course I adore Rory, there was never any question of that- I got him before Tallulah, and my "hopeless love" of him was already firmly entrenched before she passed away.

Also, this may sound weird, but I'm not COMPLETELY devastated about not being able to take Purity. I'm sad and keep wishing I'd found her before she was sold, and will always think of her for sure. I'm actually really excited that I was able to feel that "totally in love with a bunny I just saw" feeling again because I wasn't sure if I had it in me anymore, and it's great to know that I do!

I got pictures and video of a bunch of their other Hollands too. They have gorgeous bunnies. All of them had been sold already, except for one. Let me upload the pictures and videos, then I'll share them in this thread! It'll probably be a few minutes because of the videos.

Your bunny will come.

I was in the same situation as you. Back in 2005, I was thinking of getting a bunny for 2 months. I went to my first rabbit show and saw a beautiful orange Holland Lop. The mother and daughter breeders was thinking of selling him for $60.00. I didn't get him because he won BOB (Best of Breed) at the show and the daughter decided not to sell.

fctats.jpg

This is thebunny I almost got at the Rabbit Show. (in the background).

However, fate came into play.
Two weeks later, I found a poor rabbit about to be euthanized at a vet clinic, but thedoctor decided not to do it and gave me the bunny instead.

IMGA0374.jpg

It turned out to be Pebbles. My Perfect Bunny.

Awww I didn't know that about Pebbles!! She was indeed the perfect bunny! How could someone euthanize Pebs? She was a bunny superstar. I never even met her and I still think about her and miss her since she's gone to bunny heaven.

It was lateNovember 2005,I was researching and checking out the different Vets in our area.One Doctor had a bunny in the back. It was a 5 month old Netherland Dwarf that was turned in for euthanasia, because the previous owners had problems with a pregnant store bought bunny. Theydidn't want to pay forthe operation and left her to be euthanized. The doctor decided to perform surgery on a large stuck kit. The operation was for a C-section, (a still born that was almost
as big as Pebbles), for a spay operation, and for a bite mark on her back. I happen to be in the clinic at that time. When the Doctor saw me, she knew right away that I was the right persontohave Pebbles.

Stan, I never knew that! For some reason I'd always thought you just got Pebbles as a baby. Poor little girl, I'm so glad she ended up with you. I would have snatched her up also.

I've been thinking about Purity more and watching her video. She does remind me of Tallulah in how her body and face is shaped. Not exactly at all- I wasn't thinking of Tallulah when I held her- but they are similar. I'm wondering now if Purity may not be a relative of Tallulah's. The breeders told me they had to fly some bunnies up to Alaska from another breeder. They didn't say who or where, but it would make sense if they got their bunnies from Washington, which is where Tallulah came from. Lula is from the lines of a very well known Holland Lop breeder in Washington. It wouldn't surprise me if I was able to sniff out one of her relatives without even realizing it! When I call them in a few days, I'm going to ask where they got their breeding stock from. I may have to cry if it turns out Purity is Tallulah's relative.

Anyhoo, on to pictures and video! The video shows some of their Hollands, they had a few more. They were all just gorgeous. The black one with the broken opal (I think that's the markings) buddy is Licorice, the bunny they offered to me.

Me with Licorice. Licorice was quite sweet, but didn't really call out to me. Don't get me wrong, I WAS tempted (all bunnies tempt me!) but I don't think we're going to get her.

IMG_4410JPGresized.jpg

Licorice and her friend Pearl

IMG_4418JPGresized.jpg

IMG_4439JPGresized.jpg

Ridiculously cute 8 week old baby boy named Gringo- I think I squealed when I saw him. I have a huge weakness for baby lops with orange spots. He was a very feisty little baby, too!

IMG_4414JPGresized.jpg

Trio of darling 8 week old REWs. They all had angel names and kept doing the cutest things.

IMG_4420JPGresized.jpg

IMG_4427JPGresized.jpg

IMG_4426JPGresized.jpg

IMG_4413JPGresized.jpg

IMG_4435JPGresized.jpg

This little guy was super cute, too!

IMG_4449JPGresized.jpg

I was pretty impressed by the breeders. Like I said before, a mother and her approximately 14 year old daughter. I think this is the first year they've bred because I didn't see any of their bunnies last year (there were hardly any Hollands last year). You can tell they care about their bunnies though because all of them, even the babies have names. and each cage has a laminated photo of each bunny with his/her name beneath it, and the bunnies were fed a nice blend of food with Benebac sprinkled on top since being at the fair is stressful. They asked me lots of questions about how I keep my bunnies too and regularly took out their rabbits to carry around. It's nice seeing breeders who care.

All those bunnies are so cute! I can't wait to go to the fair! Oh, its gunna be baaaaaddddd.. I am going to have to use ALL my might not to buy a bunny while Im there.

You did good :)

It's nice to find some really good breeders. It would be awesome if you could trace Purity's line.

It is hard to see so many nice bunnies at a show. Many breeders know I lost Pebbles. At the last show, (a fewweeks ago), some of them asked me to take their bunnies knowing they would get a good home.

OH MY GOD!!!! I am crying. Crying, crying, crying!!! It fell through with the other buyer and we are on our way to go get my baby girl!!!!!!!!

Stan, it does, doesn't it?! My little girl is home with us now! She's still in the carrier and has food and water. Paul and I are going to go buy a dog crate to use as her cage and get her a food and water bowl, and some new toys for everybun. I'm still reeling with happiness that she is MINE! Well, I knew she was supposed to be mine, but it actually worked out :D She is SO precious. Her breeders commented again on how much she seems to like me. She even gave Paul kisses in the car on the way home so he likes her too :D

I'm going to have a mod change the title of this thread. I'm so happy with how it's turning out!

Also once we get the baby set up in her new home, I'll take some pictures of her for everyone to see and I'll share her new name.

I can't stop smiling :D

Oh my gosh!!!
I literally screamed "Yay!!!!!!! She frickin' got her!" to the top of lungs and was all smiley when my husband ran to find out what was wrong with me lol

I was so excited when I read the title of your thread! :biggrin:

This is such GREAT news! I'm so excited and happy for you!!

It was meant to be :nod She and you both knew, she was the one for you.
I couldn't be more happy for you.

Explain to me how she ended up going to you, and not the other family? Go into detail, this is very happy, exciting news!

:bunnydance:
And post some new pics of her too!

She's adorable! I'm so glad things worked out for you two. :hearts
I looked at those first pictures and my first thought was that she was a beautiful girl who looked almost exactly like my boy, Acheron, hehe. If the ears were just a shade or two lighter, and if her face was just a little darker, she could be his twin!

Back