The Nethie Boys

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I mail you a box with shipping labels on it already, will you send me Ronnie? Pleeeease? I can't get over how adorable he is, and he sounds sooo sweet. So does Billy! You have a couple of the cutest bunnies ever. Widdle bitty ears, big round eyes, round noggins, fluffy tails, pretty colors... I want a dwarfie now! My first bunny was a Netherland Dwarf (though probably a bit bigger and with longer ears, less dwarf like) and I miss him so much. I watched all your bunny videos on youtube tonight.

SnowyShiloh wrote:
If I mail you a box with shipping labels on it already, will you send me Ronnie? Pleeeease? I can't get over how adorable he is, and he sounds sooo sweet. So does Billy!
Hahaha! Are you prepared to deal with the constant circling, humping, hair digging and grooming that is Ronnie? :p He now has a habit of grooming my foot if I have been standing there too long not paying attention to his love circles ;). I swear this bunny is in love with me...in as much as a bunny can be in romantic love with a human.

Aw, I would love to have Ronnie love me! More so now that he's been neutered! I already have one stalker bun who won't leave me alone though (Tallulah) and I'm not sure how she'd feel about Ronnie... :biggrin2: I really love your videos though, the "I'm So Pretty" one really makes me laugh! You must take a lot of video of them to get them flopping and washing themselves so much!

Thanks SnowyShiloh :). I'm like the bunny paparazzi...recording their every move. Except now I think I'm all video-ed out. I've been sitting on a binky video for over two months and I can't bring myself to edit it to my liking. I think it will be a while before I put together another video...I need a break! ;)

Bo B Bunny wrote:
Oh no! Is Ronnie still the humping maniac that he was???
He is, but only in his 6' x 6' play area. If I let him run around the rest of the apartment, he's completely normal, but then as soon as I go back into Ronnie's play area he follows me and starts his mating rituals.

The only problem is, I can't let him run around the rest of the apartment too often because Billy has claimed every square inch and gets really upset when he sees Ronnie running around. Even if I cover Billy's cage with a beach towel he still knows that Ronnie is there. I can't extend Ronnie's play area because of the layout of the apartment.

I try to distract Ronnie onto stuffed animals but other than that I don't discipline him for running circles or humping. Why? Because I find it to be really funny! :p I may "complain" on the forum from time to time about Ronnie, but that's only because I love to complain. My parents have always told me I'm really good at whining ;)

The Many Faces of Disapproval

Up until about a week ago, I had never heard Ronnie growl. He was always a pleasant bunny, who never seemed to disapprove of anything.

Then one day I decided to take away his newspaper. I only wanted to give him a fresh one, as he had torn this one up the day before. Well, Ronnie didn't want to have any parts of this plan. As I started to pull the newspaper away I could have sworn I heard a very low "grrrrrrr" sound.

"Ronnie, did you GROWL at me?" I asked. No answer.

Ronnie moved over to sit on top of the newspaper and I proceeded to slide it away with him on top of it. "GRRRRRRRR." This time there was no mistaking it. "Ronnie, you growled at me!" I said with excitement. "I think Billy is having an influence on you!" ;)

As I began taking more pictures of Ronnie, I started to notice many faces of disapproval.

The pathetic disapproval: "I disapprove of you not getting me a bunny girlfriend."

DSC04879.jpg

The disapproval at a distance: "I see you watching me, and I disapprove."

DSC04857.jpg

The object disapproval: "I disapprove of this tiny basketball."

DSC05044.jpg

The food disapproval: "I disapprove of timothy hay."

DSC05054.jpg

The nature disapproval: "I disapprove of being outdoors."

DSC05014.jpg

The smell disapproval: "I disapprove of stinky meats on the stove."

DSC04956.jpg

The perplexed disapproval: "I smell something confusing, and I may decide to disapprove."

DSC04337.jpg

The realization disapproval: "That was cooked rice, and I DEFINITELY disapprove."

DSC04328.jpg

Ronnieeeee! He is so adorable! He's the cutest disapproving bunny ever, and that's saying a lot. I love how his lips are in the second to the last picture, Cinny used to do that when he was sniffing and I thought all bunnies did. I've never really seen Rory or Tallulah do it though. Ronnie has the most expressive little mouth. Was his little growl cute? My boyfriend thinks Ronnie looks like a tiny Winston Churchill...

I think I was too surprised by his growl to think anything other than "Yay, Ronnie made a noise!" :) Billy is the pro at growling, and he growls really cutely...like a low pitched squeaky toy. He tries to growl and comes out with half growl half honk if you know what I mean.

I had to look up Winston Churchill and LOL. That frown is identical to Ronnie's, good call! :biggrin2:

I LOVE your blog!

:inlove:

Billy and Ronnie are 2 of the cutest bunnies on this forum, I justlove all their disapproving faces and binky videos and such! I would have loved to hear Ronnie growl, it sounds so cute lol!

I used to have the Sony Cybershot W-70 camera, which is really similar to yours. I found that it took great pictures outside, but indoor pictures were so hit and miss, even with the flash they came out blurry. I sold it and got a Canon Powershot A640, which I LOVE. There's loads of settings to play with and it takes pretty good indoor pictures too. I don't know if maybe I just didn't adjust the settings on my Sony enough, or if there was something wrong with my camera, but most of my indoor pictures came out blurry... :(

Anyway, this is a GREAT blog! Keep up all the pictures! :D

Jen xx

Thanks Jen! :biggrin2:

Yeah, the Sony Cybershot is really hit or miss on indoor pics but performs spectacularly outside. I got mine working to my satisfaction indoors, but it is soooo dependant on natural light that I have to take indoor pictures during the day with all the blinds open. Next time I buy a digital camera (which will be a LONG time from now) I'll have to check out some other brands, and I'll keep Canon in mind :)

Billy and Ronnie are soo cute. I love your videos of Billy. I finally had some time to watch them this evening with my kids. LOL!!!:biggrin2: We love them.

Oh my gosh, how did I miss your blog?! Your boys are adorable and I found myself laughing at loud at some of Ronnie's pictures.

I love this one:

DSC05014.jpg

He has the most expressive face!

Thanks for the compliments kirst3buns and Haley :). Now onto writing my next post...it's a question post I would like everyone's guesses and inputs on :D

What is Billy?

A true dwarf? A false dwarf?

I've done a little bit of reading on Netherland Dwarf genetics and the dwarf gene. I know the basics of the double dwarf gene fatal "peanut", single dwarf gene "true dwarf," and no dwarf gene "false dwarf" or Big Ugly Buck / Big Ugly Doe. I have also seen many pictures of Netherland Dwarfs and know what they are supposed to look like. Billy doesn't really look like any of them.

The breeder told us that Billy was the runt of the litter. I saw all his siblings on the breeder's website and they were definitely "Big Ugly Does." The last time I weighed Billy he was 1.8 pounds at 4 months old. We don't have a proper scale so I don't know what he's at now but I doubt he's changed much from that. Billy is a small bunny, the same size as our "true dwarf" Ronnie.

Here he is sitting on the couch:

DSC04669.jpg

Billy looks a lot larger in pictures because he has a TINY head. It's something that doesn't translate well into pictures, and you have to see it in person to appreciate it. When we took Billy to the vet at five months old to get neutered, the vet tech remarked "What a tiny head! He's ADORABLE...Valerie is gonna LOVE him." I never knew Billy had a tiny head until we got Ronnie and compared them. Billy looks so silly compared to Ronnie...in a super cute way.

DSC04648.jpg

Billy is also very long in body, and athletic in build. I think the combination of small head and long body has given him an aerodynamic shape perfect for running and binkying ;). He's skinnier than Ronnie, but he's not emaciated. He's just toned. You can see Billy's leg muscles when he stretches out (maybe from all the running and jumping he does?). Anyhow, here's some pictures showing Billy's athletic build:

DSC04968.jpg

DSC04685.jpg

So, what do you all think? Is Billy a true dwarf or a false dwarf? I guess it's a possibility that the breeder lied and he's not a Nethie at all, but that would be weird because the breeder only owned Nethies and Holland Lops. All guesses are welcome! Even if you see this post way in the future and want to bring it back up feel free :). Looking forward to your guesses :D

Love all the photos! He's adorable!

Because he's so small, I'd guess that he's a "true dwarf" - just long in body/bone.

Pam

Hahaha Bo, did you PM pamnock to answer this question for me? ;)

Everyone else is probably reading this thinking the same thing..."what the heck is she talking about?" Oh well, I hope people like the Billy pics at least :)

Thanks for the response, pamnock. I figured Billy was either a really runty "false dwarf" (which I'm not sure even exists), or more likely an atypical looking "true dwarf."

But if anyone else knows what I'm talking about and wants to respond, I'd love to hear your inputs too. Especially if anyone has had or has seen a bunny that looks like Billy because I'm kind of curious to know if Billy has a rare look about him :)

Back