The Nethie Boys

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Bay Poo

Reaction score
I'm not much for blogging, in fact this is the first blog I've ever written! I decided that with nicer weather coming up I'd like to start a blog for Billy and Ronnie so I can put up cute bunny pictures for others to enjoy. I'm still trying to figure out how to get a good indoor picture with my camera (I JUST read a tutorial on how to use it after owning it for a year), so most of the pictures I post will probably be taken outdoors.

For tonight, I'll start from the beginning.

When we first were looking into buying a bunny, I was completely clueless. I thought you could only buy them from pet stores and I had heard nasty things about pet stores that sell animals. Then I found out that there were rabbit breeders and was overjoyed! :biggrin2: Since I didn't know anything about rabbit rescues, we ended up getting Billy and Ronnie from a couple of different Netherland Dwarf breeders in northern Virginia.

Here's Billy's picture from the breeders website:

babybunny.jpg

And here's a couple of pictures of Billy from when we first got him, at 3 months old:

DSC00332.jpg

DSC00355x.jpg

I don't have any baby pictures of Ronnie, because he was already 2 years old when we got him. Here's a picture that the breeder sent us to show us what Ronnie looked like:

ronnie3.jpg

And here's a picture of Ronnie on the day we brought him home:

DSC00813.jpg

Next post I'll write a little about each bunny's personality and maybe some of my favorite outdoor pictures of them too! :)

What colors are they? (Ronnie is a black otter right?) what is billy? I really am in love with those boys! Billy just kills me as you know!

One of these days..... I want a nethie :)

Look at Billy's little mouth in his last photo!

Is that not cute?

I kiss Bo and tell him he's got cute bunny-lips!

I think I need a little nethie girl to be his friend.

;)

Billy is definetly a Siamese Smoke Pearl Sable! just like my boy Smoky!
IMG_0029.jpg

I love these little guys! i'm sure they have really brightend your life!

James

Bo B Bunny wrote:
What colors are they? (Ronnie is a black otter right?) what is billy?
It's actually kinda hard to tell their coloring from the pictures...I guess it's something you have to see in person to really appreciate. Ronnie is BLUE otter, although he does look very very dark in the pictures I've posted. From what I've noticed, blue otter is a lot darker than your standard blue self Netherland Dwarf...so I'm not really sure why they call it blue otter?

As for Billy, he's a smoke pearl marten, which is really similar to James' siamese smoke pearl bunny. The only difference is that Martens have white fur under their belly, feet, chin, tail, nose etc (like Otter markings but in white). When I saw pictures of Smoky, I thought "OMG it's a Billy without the white underbelly!" I think siamese smoke pearl is now my second favorite color thanks to pictures of Smoky ;)

More pics later tonight, when I have some time to put another post together :)

your buns are gorgeous the second picture of Ronnie looks just like my nibbler.

they call it an otter cause of teh markings you will find the markings are the same as your martin smoke but otters have the tort on the back of neck and ticking round the sides and a creamy tumy rather than white :)the sable and smoke can be martins or siamese cause they are shaded not one colour like a self. And to be honest a good blue self nethie will be much darker than the blue otter!! hope that helps with your colours a bit:)

To keep the pictures chronological, I'll be posting older pics first, some of which I've already posted elsewhere on the forum. I promise I'll be putting up new pictures soon, after I get a few of the old ones out of the way! :biggrin2:

Let's start with Billy:

DSC01008.jpg

I knew from the start he was going to be a feisty little guy, which is just what I wanted! ;) The breeder kept jumping as he was handling Billy, assuring us "Oh, he's not biting, he's just gently nipping!" The first thought that went through my mind was..."this bunny really needs some exercise out of that cage. I'd be biting you too if you locked me up for three months!"

Billy is actually quite gentle, and never bites. He likes to pretend he's tough by making growly noises and pushing people out of the way with his face, but he's really a coward. Billy is scared of EVERYTHING. Upbeat music, bird chirps, the frying pan, the vacuum, a ringing phone, a knock at the door, sounds of newspapers being torn by Ronnie, Ronnie stomping his foot...the list goes on and on.

Billy is also very hyper. He likes to run daily bunny circuits from the bedroom to the living room and back again. I'm afraid to let him outside without being fenced in because I think he'd take off and never come back!

Billy also loves to binky...on the bed. I don't know why he only binkies crazily on the bed, but he does. It's really entertaining to watch because he will binky and then stop to look at me as if to say "Did you get that one mommy?" Then he will binky again, and pause again waiting for my approval. It goes on like this until he gets tired of binkying:)

Ok enough typing, time for pictures! :biggrin2: These were taken outside in September 2007. Since the bunnies are in an apartment we use the North State - Superyard XT Portable Playard http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=1762412

We carry it outside along with food bowl, water, wooden house, and bunny in carrier so they can enjoy the nice weather.

DSC00983.jpg

DSC00987.jpg

DSC00992.jpg

DSC00990.jpg

DSC01007.jpg

DSC00982.jpg

DSC00991.jpg

DSC00995.jpg

DSC00952.jpg

DSC00958.jpg

Enjoy! :biggrin2:

Next post will be a bit about Ronnie

one more thing! if i havent told you already i absolutly LOVE your videos on youtube! there hilarious! billy and ronnie are hilarious!

James

JamesCarden wrote:
one more thing! if i havent told you already i absolutly LOVE your videos on youtube! there hilarious! billy and ronnie are hilarious!

James
Thanks James! :biggrin2: I'm glad to know that people enjoy watching home videos of these silly bunzillas. It's still strange to me everytime someone on the forum mentions a Billy or Ronnie video because I never expected them to reach more than a small handful of people :shock:.

In case there's anyone reading this who wants to know "what the heck videos are they talking about?" (I ask myself these kinds of questions when reading blogs ;)) here's a link to the video page of the youTube channel that I post to:

http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=spekkioxlv

R O N N I E

DSC02315.jpg

Ronnie was born on June 9, 2005. He is a blue otter Netherland Dwarf. This is the story about how we ended up getting Ronnie.

We had Billy for three months and he had been neutered and looked like he could use a bunny friend. Not knowing anything about rescues and "rabbit dates" we set out to find Billy a cute little girl bunny from the other Netherland Dwarf breeder in our area. We put a hold on a blue doe when she was a few weeks old, but sadly she ended up dying while still in the breeder's care. We then put a hold on another blue doe and she also ended up dying at the breeders :(.

The breeder didn't have any more does to offer us, and when we emailed her about Billy's personality she seemed to think that he was too aggressive for a doe anyways. She offered us Ronnie, who she said was one of the sweetest bunnies she'd ever owned. While other breeders were interested in using Ronnie for their herd, she liked Ronnie and wanted him to go to a pet home where he could be pampered. Well Ronnie looked so gosh darn cute in the picture she sent us, we HAD to have him! :biggrin2:

Ronnie is a lover, not a fighter. I've NEVER seen him mad, it's amazing! While Billy growls all the time, I have yet to hear a growl out of Ronnie. Being a lover, Ronnie has a problem with trying to hump me. Every time I go into Ronnie's area, he runs circles furiously around my legs. When I sit down to pet him he tries to hump my arm. He's such a silly little guy! :p

Other than the humping, Ronnie is extremely well behaved. We can leave him out of his cage and go grocery shopping, and everything will be just the way we left it when we come back :halo.

Here are some pictures of Ronnie:

DSC02336.jpg

DSC02333.jpg

DSC02322.jpg

Sometimes Ronnie thinks he's human:

DSC02324.jpg

DSC02380.jpg

DSC02371.jpg

DSC02376.jpg

DSC02368.jpg

DSC02369.jpg

Next post will be some newer outdoor photos of Billy :)

Ronnie is stunning. How old was he when you got him? And how was bonding two bucks? I'm partial to bucks myself, and would love to have a pair- but I haven't seen very many boys successfully bonded together. :)
Bring on the pictures of Billy! He's adorable, too.
You make me want a Nethie :p

Jess_sully wrote:
Ronnie is stunning. How old was he when you got him? And how was bonding two bucks? I'm partial to bucks myself, and would love to have a pair- but I haven't seen very many boys successfully bonded together. :)
We got Ronnie in September, 2007...so that would have made him uhhhh 2 years 3 months?

As for the bonding, I'll have to leave that to another post. Basically right now it comes down to a few factors:

1.) We don't have time to bond them (it's complicated and I can explain this part later)
2.) We don't have sufficient neutral territory to start a bonding project
3.) Billy has displayed constant signs of jealousy and aggression towards Ronnie, so we figure Billy doesn't want to be bonded with him anyways

Hopefully I can cover the bonding issues in more detail in a later post, because Billy is just so funny towards Ronnie I'd like to share it! :)

WOW! Now that I read your saying he's a blue otter - I see that LOL!

I want to be sure when I get a chance to get a nethie - I think I want either a smoke pearl (sable or marten - I think either is just beautiful) or a maybe an otter but I really love the smoke pearls.

Your boys are so adorable!

When I think of a nethie, I always picture a blue/black otter, (though I think that may change now we have Nigel.. ;)) and Ronnie is just absolutely gorgeous.

And Billy is really lovely too, he just has a perfect little head! I especially love those little eyebrows you can see on him in the photos of him in the garden. =P

More photos please. :D

Little Bay Poo wrote:
Jess_sully wrote:
We got Ronnie in September, 2007...so that would have made him uhhhh 2 years 3 months?

As for the bonding, I'll have to leave that to another post.  Basically right now it comes down to a few factors:

1.)  We don't have time to bond them (it's complicated and I can explain this part later)
2.)  We don't have sufficient neutral territory to start a bonding project
3.)  Billy has displayed constant signs of jealousy and aggression towards Ronnie, so we figure Billy doesn't want to be bonded with him anyways

Hopefully I can cover the bonding issues in more detail in a later post, because Billy is just so funny towards Ronnie I'd like to share it!  :)

I completely understand. I just got a little excited when I saw that you -might- have a bonded pair of bucks! :p I don't blame you for not trying to bond them so far, I'm sure they're doing fine as it is now, too. Do you have any other pets that they seem interested in? Cats or whatnot? Sorry, you might have already posted this somewhere...

Back