The Life & Times of Felix 'n' Clementine!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I sympathize with you on the massive shedding problem. Nessa shed SO much a few months ago. And like your Clementine, she hates being groomed. I would coax her into holding still by feeding her banana. I used a dog shedding brush (it seemed to help more than just a regular brush), a "Shedding Slicker Brush" I got from my local pet store. I also used a hair comb to section off her fur while I brushed it. I had to have a brushing session multiple times a day. I highly advise getting a slicker brush. It works wonderfully!
I became so desperate that I took a lint roller to Nessa in an attempt to get rid of the amount of fur. :p

Poor Clemmie gets grabbed and popped on my lap while she gets groomed. It's the only way I can keep her still enough to get a decent amount of hair out. I just bought a 'Schticky' set, like a sticky mop thing, to pick up all the bunny hair - boyfriend requested I do so after waking up with Clementine fur in his mouth. :p

One of my best friend's sister gave her her guinea pig, Pumpkin (formerly Betsy), and now I'm thinking of getting one, too... I've brought it up with my boyfriend before and he's said no, but I would love another little cuddlebuddy. If I got a big one it'd be relatively similar sized to Felix and not too far off Clementine, so they'd be able to play together sometimes, but I'd mostly keep it solo I think. I already have pretty much all the supplies, I even have a hutch for one, so it's just a matter of convincing boyfs. ;)

It does mean we're at 3 pets, and given that we're looking at moving to Melbourne in a couple of years it would make it more difficult... but as a friend of mine pointed out today if I'm already moving two pets, a third really isn't that much more, and if worst came to worst and I could only move the buns, Pumpkin's mama would gladly adopt it (although I'd miss it terribly!).

I don't know. Thoughts?

Wahoo! I was watching Felix intently on the couch while he ate some hay, and he did a perfectly normal sized poop! :)

Bunny people are weird.

Yay Felix!

Generally speaking guinea pigs should really be in pairs or groups, they are even more social animals than bunnies and can actually get depressed if rehomed without a piggie buddy. But I'm sure there are exceptions, if you ask around piggie rescues you may be able to find a solitary one who's happy being on his or her own. :)

^Me too, but I've also heard really bad stories about how bunns and pigs shouldn't be housed together. I guess it really depends on the temperament of the pig. Personally, I wouldn't get one, but then I've never had any interest in guinea pigs at all :p

I'm glad Felix is doing well, it always amuses me how excited bunny owners (myself included) get over poop, lol.

I'm going to keep an eye on petrescue.com.au. :) There's a girl up there now with one eye, poor little darling was born in a pet store and got a massive eye infection. If she's not snatched up soon I might have to enquire.

Apparently bunnies can carry a type of bacteria that's harmful to piggies, so I'd be a bit worried about having them play together too often.

Like any animal the piggy would have to be quarantined for a bit just to make sure it has no diseases but as most of you know I had a rat live with my rabbit for 6 months with no issues other then the fact that I am pretty sure she was as upset as I was when Bailey died. But I will agree that it does depend on personalities

^That still amazes me, but I thought it was so wonderful how they were best buddies :D

Now that I think about it, I remember seeing another post on Pet Rescue, for a guinea pig and her nethie BFF wanting to be rehomed together. Interspecies friendships are adorable!

I'm going to keep an eye on petrescue.com.au. :) There's a girl up there now with one eye, poor little darling was born in a pet store and got a massive eye infection. If she's not snatched up soon I might have to enquire.

Apparently bunnies can carry a type of bacteria that's harmful to piggies, so I'd be a bit worried about having them play together too often.

Good for you !! Just keep her away now from the other animals for a week or so to keep her away from the others in case she still has something. Also get her tested for coccidia just to be certain. I didn't and lost my baby :(

Vanessa

I definitely will - I'll take it/them for a checkup when I get them.

Housemate is keen on the idea, and I think boyfriend is coming around. :) :)

Guinea pigs are wonderful, I have 7! Three sows that live together, 2 boars that live together, and a boar and (spayed) sow that lives together. They are wonderful little pets, each with their own personality. No two are the same. I second the idea of getting a pair....Applesauce is the preschool pet. She goes to work all week and comes home on the weekends and holidays. Edie got really depressed when Applesauce was at work, so I adopted another sow, Daphne. She was so much happier and the three girls chill out together.

I do keep them separated from Luna. Luna could very easily unintentionally hurt them. The pigs have floor time in the other half of my room, that way there is no chance Luna and the pigs could exchange germs. I am a better safe than sorry nutty type momma, lol. Good luck, and please post pictures if you adopt any. :)

Last edited:
Would I need to wash my hands between interacting with the buns and the piggies?

I feel like I'm not making progress with the bunnies. They both actively run away from me whenever I approach them, especially Clem. I'll sometimes get lucky enough to rub Felix's nose a few times before he flees. I do what people suggest for bonding - sit in a small place with them, not paying them attention, have food next to me, but they don't seem to be interested in being friends. :(

Have you tried sitting with each one individually, and then both together to see if there is a difference in their interaction with you?

Not yet - I'll give that a go. I had a bonding session with Clem and she seemed curious, but back with Felix in her territory it was like it hadn't even happened.

One time isn't going to do much. Lots and lots of bonding sessions with you. You have to give her some time to get to know you better and build that trust up. Some rabbits just take more time and effort than others, but once you make that connection, there's nothing better :)

It's all about learning to trust. That despite all these nasty things like grooming, nail trims, and picking them up that we have to do to take care of them, that they really can trust you, and that takes spending time with them. That's why smaller spaces and sometimes one on one time tends to work better. Not a lot of distractions and you right there with them. A bit like bonding two rabbits together :p

Felix and I had a bonding session tonight! :)

I covered the bed with some blankets (since Clem's session was cut short due to a pee explosion all over the bed :p), laid some hay and pellets out, and kept a few small treats in my pocket. He freaked out while being carried to our bedroom and when I was halfway down the hall, he climbed up my shoulder and tried to escape, but I got him back into my arms. He seemed very tense and scared for the first half hour or so while I watched The Office on my iPad, and then eventually got a bit more curious. I realised that some of the louder noises were startling him so I turned it off after a while and laid down to watch and nap a little bit. He climbed on me a bit and seemed very curious, and let me pet him a lot, however I also got bitten a few times so I know he wasn't having the best time. It seemed to go okay - could have gone better or worse. I think I'll try alternating them so I'll have Clem one night and Felix the next, and see if they start coming around. :)

^That sounds like a great idea. I find just watching tv or reading while they hang out around you is a good thing to do, since you're not always forcing interaction, but they learn to be calm around you and enjoy the time. I'm sure it will improve with time :)

In future I might do our bonding in the living room, in their space, but in a much smaller area to encourage interaction with me. :)

Latest posts

Back