The bun clan!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm glad you had a good time at your dads! Sounds like the german shepherd is a real sweetheart! They are one of my favorite dog breeds.

I'm sorry your computer is having trouble, my bro and dad are really good at computers so if my computer ever has a problem its usually easy for them to fix.

The babies sound so cute! I don't know if its to early for them to groom themselves. But I'm sure some of your blog readers will be able to help you with that.

Alright, Day 12 for the little ones and ALL eyes are open! I tried to take a pic of them, but for some reason my phone is blurring them. I'll charge my camera up and try to take pictures later. Now I'm just curious when they'll start leaving the nest. I watched one about ten minutes ago walk around the nest then go back in, but that's the first time I've seen any of them go out, and I think that was just an accident. They still seem so small compared to Isis, but they are HUGE compared to when they were first born. I can't wait for them to come out of the nest and start playing. I let Aaron (bf) hold a couple of them yesterday (as Isis has gotten to the point that she really doesn't care if I'm holding them, though she'll come over and sniff them when I'm holding them) and he was like "Let's keep this one! Wait, but I want to keep this one too!" And he just completely melted. I had to take them from him, as he wasn't going to put them back any time soon, and put them back in the nest. I think this might be harder for Aaron them me to let these babies go to new homes. I'm curious to see how he'll act when they are out and playing. I'm sure that whenever he's home he's going to want to be interacting with them, so they should all be well socialized by the time they leave for new homes.

I've read a bit as well, but most places don't say an exact time for when they leave the nest, just say shortly after they open their eyes. And I've read that you can start weaning as early as 6 weeks. Of course I wont until 8 weeks, and I'll probably do the method where you take a few away at a time to make it easier on Isis.

I have to say though, I'm a bit concerned about one of them. There is one that is smaller then all the rest, but a fair amount. She/he has grown since born and has fur just like everyone else and has his/her eyes open, but the fact that he/she is smaller then all of the others, and I've read that runts don't make it. Well they are almost 2 weeks old and she/he has been fed and doesn't seem to be any different from the others besides a bit smaller. I'm not sure what to think.

I think RUNTS DO make it, but PEANUTS DON'T. There is a huge difference between a runt and peanut. Ellie is a runt, she's very small even still reaching adult size, she's tiny. Just make sure he has a full round belly and he IS growing. Do you have a scale by chance? If you wanted to weigh all of them and keep track of their weights, it would help to make sure that he is growing.
Dutch buns are small in general so I couldn't imagine the kits are big, but I can understand why you're worried. He's probably just a runt and is developing at the same rate, but just on a smaller scale! LOL

Yes post pics I'm sure thry are adorable. I bet it will be tough to part with them!

I agree with Morgan, runts are usually just fine, and often just stay small, but not always. My Roo was the runt of her litter. She was half the size of her siblings at 8 weeks. That didn't last. Now I would bet she's bigger than all of them. And Toby, on of the babies in the litter I raised, was the smallest one at birth, then after 2 weeks old I noticed he was starting to look bigger than the others. But even if that baby stays the runt, it doesn't mean he won't be ok. It is peanuts(two dwarf genes) that don't survive, but there can also be faders(failure to thrive). But as long as this little baby is pretty active and alert, then I think it is most likely going to be a little runt, which of course are always so adorable.

My babies ended up coming out of the nest at 2 weeks, and one in particular, just wouldn't stay in, so I cleaned the nestbox out, turned it on it's side(it was a wood one), and put a fresh pile of hay in the corner of it for them to snuggle in. Oh, it was so funny, because my momma bun was so frantic to all of the sudden have all of these babies free and chasing her to nurse. Pip was running away from the babies, trying to find somewhere safe, and she finally jumped into her litter box to get away from them. If you think the babies are cute now, just wait til these little fluff balls start stumbling around. It's so funny cause they will just be learning to walk and all of a sudden they'll pop into the air with a little hop, and look around like 'what in the heck just happened'. Really enjoy between 2-4 weeks. That's when they are just starting to explore, but aren't too wiggly yet and will snuggle with you and just fall asleep on your lap, or where ever else you happen to have them, haha. It's hard not to get attached to them. And they'll just get cuter and cuter.

This is what I mean by turning the nestbox on it's side. But I'm not sure what sort of setup you have for your babies.

IMAG0627 (800x478).jpg

IMAG0588 (800x478).jpg

Oh Jenny, they are adorable, I just love seeing pics of lickle bunnies, there´s just something about them that is so sweet.

Would love to see pics of Isis´s babies, I bet they´re really cute. It must be so hard to say goodbye to them when the time comes, I´d have a housefull lol.

Will take pictures and post them tomorrow. I'm slightly relieved that you guys said runts can make it!! I think Tiny (that's what we've been calling him/her) might be one we keep, because she/he has seemed to catch our hearts already. Not that the others haven't, but I think everyone gets what i mean. I don't know though, I think it's going to be hard saying goodbye to any of these guys. I don't know how breeders do it. Also, if one of them pees on me one more time, I SWEAR I'm going to just put them on my bf WHILE they are still peeing. Tiny just peed on me a little bit ago, and I tell you, that pee is like.. projectile or something! And one of them had peed on me a few days ago. Jeez. Before these little ones I had never been peed on by anything besides a frog (or toad), now I've been peed on twice by these little guys. AND MAN can they go! I'm just glad I'm not afraid of germs.

Also, those babies are adorable, as is the momma!! And I bet Isis will be the same. She'll go over to sniff the nest, and I see five heads bob up quickly towards her and she takes off before they can get her! I bet she'll just be going nuts when they are out of the nest chasing her. Of course she'll be able to go in the litter box or cage to get away from them. I'm not sure what I'm going to do once they go out of the nest though, because I don't think tipping the nest box over is going to work.. Perhaps I can just get another box and put some hay in it? Because at night I lock up the cage that Isis is in (so she can't run around the x-pen as I don't doubt any possible escape plot) so they'd be in there with her at night, then during the day I'll probably lift them out and into the x-pen area, where they'll have more room to run around while I supervise them. I'm not sure though..

Hahaha, it does just shoot out! You'll learn that with baby bunnies, towels are your best friend :) I always laid a couple down when I would bring them with me to snuggle on the couch, and it saved me or the couch from being peed on MANY times.

You ought to take a video of when you first set the babies loose out of the box. I really wish I had, cause it was pretty funny. Pip had this look of pure panic when she saw those babies on the loose coming after her, at least until she found she could escape from them by hopping into her litter box. Are you just using a cardboard box for the nestbox? You could probably use another cardboard box and put it on it's side when you get rid of the nestbox. They just like to have little cubby holes to all snuggle up in and sleep. Oh, and when they do start exploring, you will probably need to put something along the bottom edge of the xpen, so they don't squeeze through the bars. I just used posterboard and cut it about 6 in. high, and ziptied it to the bottom edge of the playpen I had for my babies.

It is really hard to let them go. In fact, out of five, I only found a home for one of them. The others, I haven't been trying too hard, as I'm really concerned about them going to good homes. I do know that my one baby went to a good home though.

I normally have a couple towels in the x-pen at all times (though Isis really doesn't care for them anyway, but i figured when the babies start moving around they might want something easier to grip then the tarp) but last night i decided to throw them in the wash, and let's just say the dryer decided to NOT WORK last night, so I'm waiting for the towels to dry right now, as I'm rerunning the dryer. x.x

And I'll keep video in mind. I hadn't even thought about that, but I do think it will be funny to watch, though I'm sure Isis will just jump into the cage or litter box to get away from them. I don't know when will be a good time to let them out and start running around though, as they don't seem to want out of the nest yet (I'll set them right outside it so that I can check them all and they just climb back in) and they'll be two weeks old tomorrow!! (I can't believe it!) And I think I'll either use a shoe box for the floor of the x-pen, or maybe a kleenex box? That way they have somewhere to snuggle during the day when they're out and about, and at night time when they are in the cage. Don't want those little ones running around and finding an escape, Isis already did once.

That's sort of funny, Jenny, that you had five and only have found a home for one. I have five little babies and so far I've only found one person interested in them. This person says she has a holland lop as well and I directed her to this site (just so that she could see the pictures on here and maybe join the community) but she joined and hasn't posted once and I haven't heard from her in a while. I said she could come look at them and play with them once they're two weeks old, but still haven't heard a thing. I guess I may not have one a home. I still have several weeks before they are ready anyway, and even then.

Okay, so I'm VERY pleased with miss Isis. I never had to do much with the whole litter training thing. She pretty much just knew to go in the litter box, though I find little poos everywhere, but everyone says that as long as the rabbit is peeing in the litter, they're litter trained. And it really isn't that bad cleaning up the little poos. I'm just hoping that maybe because momma goes potty in the litter box, maybe the babies will learn to do that too! Once they can jump in it, of course! Until that time I guess I'll have towels on the ground for them to be on, seeing as those will take care of any puddles.

Okay, now that i'm done with that, i must rant my frustrations. Currently I have three! Yay. (insert glare here). Number one is the twitching screen, which still hasn't been fixed. It's getting to the point where I can barely read anything on my computer. To say the least it is giving me a MAJOR headache. Not pleasing. Number two is the fact that my keyboard is sticking. I can see places where the shift didn't work, which drives me nuts, and there have been several times where I've gone back to correct what was typed. I can't wait to get a new laptop. Number three is the photos. I have some photos I want to put up for everyone to see, but for some reason my camera or computer is acting up. I try to hook my camera up to my computer and it doesn't even act like it's hooked up. I'm hoping it's just the computer, because I'd HATE for my camera to be messed up too!! I need a job..

Speaking of jobs, next month I should start babysitting some kids. I'll only probably be getting $200 a month, but at least that's more then what I'm making now!! I hope it happens soon though, like the beginning of the month, because the sooner I start making money is the sooner that I can save up for a new computer, as well as getting Basil and Isis fixed, and the dogs.. I think I'll start with one of each, that way they can't breed at all and there will be less of an urgency to get the others fixed. That will go over the computer, of course, and I probably should be able to get them fixed the first time I get paid, hopefully. I think it's $80 for Rosie and $65 for Kirby? I may have that backwards, but I think that's right. I don't know for the rabbits yet, still trying to find a good vet that I can trust to do that.

Alright, so I know everyone wants pictures, but it appears i'm going to have to use a different computer to upload them, so everyone will have to bare with me until I can get access to something. I think I may have a spare computer that I can set up, so I'll see if I can do that, hopefully it will work. Anyway, I'll look for that a bit later today, hopefully I'll be able to upload photos for everyone to see! But for the time being I can at least get the ones of Dog uploaded, so that's what my next post will be most likely.

I'm glad Isis knows what the litter box is for. Its so nice to see a bun just know exactly where to go! Isis is smart!

That's too bad about your computer, It must be so annoying with the screen twitching all the time! I know I would be annoyed!

That's great that you'll be getting more money! It would be good to get the buns and dogs fixed.

Oh, and dog is sooo cute! I especially like the picture of him in the snow!

Okay, so my bf is being a butt and wont fix the computer for me :/, because of that I can't upload the photos yet. I'll continue taking more, but I wont be able to upload them until further notice.

On a different note, Isis has become a little escape artist. It's really starting to annoy me, the fact that she keeps figuring out new ways of escape! So I keep rearranging things to make it harder for escape. I think I have it sorted out now, hopefully. But the other day I had to pick her up, which she doesn't like, and she was already in sort of a panic because she wasn't in her x-pen and wasn't familiar with the area. So I picked her up and took her back to the pen, then sat down with her to try and calm her down. While I was doing that she bit my knee!! She has NEVER bit me before, I'm putting it off as she was stressed and scared, so I just pet her for a little bit to let her know it was okay, and once she went back to her normal self she came to me and I gave her a treat. Everything has been good since. I don't want another episode like that though, I don't like seeing my miss Isis so freaked out like that!!

On another different note, I decided to clean out the nest today and set the babies up to just be able to cuddle up in some hay. They seem fine with this, but they've started eating the hay now!! So i'll just have to make sure to refill the hay there as well. And now that I can tell them all apart, they have different names. Tiny, Chubs, Dot, Lefty and Righty. Yeah, I know those aren't the best nicknames, but that's what I'm calling them for now. Tiny just might stick, she (he?) is the runt of the litter and even Aaron has been calling her (him?) Tiny, so that might stick. Chubs is the biggest and he has a little bear face!! I just started calling him that. And Dot, well he has a dot on his ear, self explanatory. Lefty and Righty are the ones with the sleeves, one on the left arm, the other has it on the right. I figured that they work for now, at least until I can think of more original names!! They haven't really left their little nestling area besides to sniff about a little, then go back to cuddling, so they really haven't started playing yet..

Sorry I haven't been on much guys, my electricity went out for a little bit, then the internet wouldn't work, and now my computer is so bad that I literally can't read anything. I'm putting this up from my phone. Hopefully I'll be able to get a new computer soon and then I'll post pictures and update everyone.

On my phone. thought I would share a few pictures. babies r six weeks old today.

2013-04-16 12.39.57.jpg

2013-04-16 12.39.03.jpg

BBabies are active. i think Isis is having a false pregnancy though, and she has started beating on the babies. What should I do?

They are so cute!
I would make sure that she has somewhere to get away from them. They're pretty close to weaning, so I would make sure that they have a place to be and she has a separate place. Maybe if you can give her her own run or something. Maybe close them in the cage and put her on the floor.

Latest posts

Back