Scone MacBunny -- 2008

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EmilytheStrange wrote:
I can't wait to see the Scotland pics. How was the weather there?

Not bad. We got some intermittent rain showers each day while we were touring before the Jamborette, but the first week camping was perfect. Sunny and warm and no rain at all. It reached 75 degrees or so several days and the Scots were warning of heatstroke (the contingent from Arizona took off their sweatshirts). The rain returned for the last few days of the Jamborette, and it rained off and on while we were touring afterwards, but not enough to get in the way. Lots of dramatic skies for pictures.

Sounds like you had a great time - I always look forward to seeing your vacation pictures. Scone doesn't look too bad for being horribly neglected for 3 weeks. Scooter has marks in her fur just like that. I figured it was part of her molt. Her fur looks so bad right now, poor girl.

slavetoabunny wrote:
Scooter has marks in her fur just like that. I figured it was part of her molt. Her fur looks so bad right now, poor girl.

That could be it. He is shedding again (still). He normally doesn't develop shed lines, just tufts of hair sticking out here and there, but I'll bet he's just shedding around his cheeks this time.

JadeIcing wrote:
Scotland pictures!? Must See!

I'm working my way through the 2,700 pictures I took. Take a look at the pages starting with http://www.bpmlegal.com/scotland/2008/ - I've put a few day's pictures up already, and more will be posted as I get them done. There are links on that page to my earlier trips (I've gone to the UK every other year with groups of Boy Scouts).

Your photos are incredible Mike, I'll be checking back regularly for more. You should consider changing careers - I think you should be a professional photographer.

It is easy to see that Scone is not spoiled in the least bit while in your care :p. Poor Scone having to deal with hand-fed snacks and his own chair(s) along with bed-time cuddles. Poor bunny....:wiggle

myheart

Back around Easter, Borders was selling a stuffed bunny as a premium. I couldn't resist buying one, because it looked so much like Scone.

I figured that Scone would use the new stuffed animal like he used the yellow bunnies Butter and Marge - anything with uppy ears is instantly knocked flat, and Scone has his way with it.

Much to my surprise, Scone treats the Borders Bunny like a companion. He sits next to it, lies down on his blankie in front of it, and, sometimes, even grooms it.
sconetwin9348.jpg

sconetwin9349.jpg

I don't know if it's the bunny's coloration, or its posture (it sits just like a real rabbit, rather than upright like a teddy bear). Either way, Scone seems to view the Borders Bunny as a friend, and not a love object.

MikeScone wrote:
Much to my surprise, Scone treats the Borders Bunny like a companion. He sits next to it, lies down on his blankie in front of it, and, sometimes, even grooms it.
sconetwin9348.jpg

That is the most precious picture!!!!:pMaybe he knows this bun isbetterbecause it looks like himselfand does not need to be dominated like the others.... My Patrick will groom his little baby-doll. I boughta stuffy hand puppet that looks like a laying-down rabbit as a joke to tease him. Instead it became his companion during tough times for the little guy. The baby-doll was actually a blessing.

I think I wantScone and a stuffed bunny to visit **places both on nabbing list**

myheart

i have that bunny too! my dad got it for me!

none of my buns seemed to treat it like a real bun.

Not too many new pictures of Scone lately - I've been too busy with other things.

He's started to lie down on the other end of the couch while I'm watching TV - such a relaxed bunny...

scone9462.jpg

What a gorgeous boy!

All of my bunnies have a stuffy friend. Bo and Clover have puppies they've had since they were babies. They groom them, lay with them, and when something is wrong with their cage they kick the puppies' butts for being bad! LOL!

Isn't it sweet to see them with their "toy" friend? Not to hijack but here's clover with puppy

puppynClover.jpg

I found the time to take a few more pictures of Scone this week...

“Who’s a handsome bunny, then?”
scone9552.jpg

“What’s on TV tonight, Dad?”
scone9553.jpg

Give Scone a nice long nose pet, and he just zones out…
scone9537.jpg

“It’s scary, but sometimes a bun’s gotta do what a bun’s gotta do…”
scone9541.jpg

“… or not. Maybe I’d better just sit here?”
scone9542.jpg

“Broccoli for my evening snack! Yumm!”
scone9547.jpg

scone9548.jpg

He's been not quite himself lately - nothing I can really put my finger on, but not quite as ravenous as usual and a few mornings I had to coax him to breakfast with a leaf or two. On the other hand, he is eating, and he's still active and bright-eyed, so it isn't full-blown stasis. He had a few days in late August where he wouldn't eat anything, but I was able to get him enticed into eating a bit by late afternoon, and he was back to normal by mid-September.

Anyway, I took him to the vet yesterday for a checkup. He'd lost half a pound since he was last in for a checkup, which was three years ago or so (he'd visited the Cornell clinic for stasis in '06 and '07, so I didn't bring him to the regular vet those years). On a bunny who only weighed a bit over five pounds last time, that's a bit worrisome - he wasn't overweight then, and he's not emaciated now, but still a 10% weight loss is a concern. The vet said she felt a bit of a mass in Scone's abdomen which he was a little sensitive about (but then, he's always ticklish there).

Anyway, the vet recommended cutting out pellets and treats to cut down on carbohydrates, and cut back on the veggies a bit to encourage him to eat more hay and get his internal flora back into balance. We're going back the day after Thanksgiving and see how he's doing then. Fingers crossed.

Scone spent the rest of the day at my office, being fussed over by all concerned, and he led me all around the floor before we went home, just for exercise. As soon as I let him out when we got home, he dashed away and hid under the bed until it was time for a snack in late evening. He was a bit clingy this morning, wouldn't let me out of his sight until he could concentrate on his breakfast salad, so I think he's got over being mad.

I agree with your vet about cutting out the carbs. I had to do that with Patrick because he had such small poos. I didn't cut back on greens or pellets because of his lack of teeth. If he wants to eat all pellets, I let him because he is at least eating something. I also figure the greens provide extra moisture as I do not know how much he really drinks during the day.

As hard as it was to cut out the "junk food" for him, he is much better with his waste. Much bigger poos outweigh crackers and other carbs any day.

Good luck with getting Scone to feel more like himself. He is so handsome!!! What color is he? He doesn't look red, but more of a pretty chocolate color.

myheart

myheart wrote:
As hard as it was to cut out the "junk food" for him, he is much better with his waste. Much bigger poos outweigh crackers and other carbs any day."

"Good luck with getting Scone to feel more like himself. He is so handsome!!! What color is he? He doesn't look red, but more of a pretty chocolate color.

For Scone "treats" meant a slice of dried papaya, a dried banana chip or a few craisins. He's never gotten junk food or baked goods. He also thinks parsley's a treat, so I think I'll get some of that for him.

His color is opal. The hairs are banded black and tan along the shaft, and the outer ends of the hairs are grey. His coat looks grey or tan, depending on his posture and how the light hits it. That's similar to castor, like Patti's Scooter, except in castors the outer band is brown.

Scone is beautiful. Opal has always been one of my favorite Mini-Rex colors
I love how he adores his bunny stuffie. Flynn has a stuffed elephant dog-toy that he likes to sleep with, but he always kicks him off the shelf as soon as he wakes up.

Back