RESOLVED!!! How much blood should a doe lose at kindling?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys...Peg asked me to update you (she asked that I call her while she was out, so I could let ya'll know how the girls are doing).

Peg, please correct any information I may put incorrectly here...

Both girls were examined and given digital xrays and found to be just fine.

Girly Girl's milk came in, and they were able to determine that neither had any remaining kits, but the vet said that in Kiwi's case, maybe the combination of losing her kits, and possible continuing labor pains (as humans also tend to get after labor is complete) may have confused her a bit as far as thinking there were more kits to be had.

The vet also took their weight, just in case she would have to call in a prescription of baytril to Peg's local vet for the girls.

So, Peg's on her way home and the girls are just fine. :)

I think Peg will have to give any further details. :)

She should be home in a couple hours, so she'll let ya'll know any answers to questions you may have. :)

Oh good..

I am now a firm beleiver in taking them to the vet if it's questionable.... since there is one now..

Better safe than sorry.

Zin

Thanks for the update Rosie! Glad to hear everything will be OK. It was well worth the trip. Hope Peg can get some rest tonight.:?

Why is it everytime I go to a vet with a pregnant girl that appears to be having issues - I wind up much poorer....and only find out that everything is ok?

I GIVE UP! :p

Seriously though, as it turns out - GG's milk has come in and it looks like she even nursed the baby once (we saw bite marks around a nipple). The only thing we can think of is she wanted to be with the baby all the time since she knew it was the only one....we don't know.

Both girls had x-rays done by a digital x-ray machine. I pointed out to the vet that it is possible for an x-ray to miss a placenta or something and she showed me that GG had shrunk down some and didn't have any more blood. (I think GG cleaned herself up in the car since she knew she was going out somewhere).

The vet was more concerned about Kiwi - but she had no kits in her either and there did not appear to be any placenta, etc. in her. It looked like her milk might have dropped too - and she doesn't have any live kits. The vet wonders if she kept straining because of the fact that she was upset about the empty nest and maybe she felt like she should keep trying?

I don't know - sorta sounded like baloney to me....

I asked for baytril to keep the does from going septic but she is of the mind that don't give it if they don't need it for sure (so that you don't build up a resistance to the drug). She took the weights of both girls and said that IF I felt like they needed it tomorrow - she could call in a script to the local vet for me. She pointed out that both girls had clear eyes and were alert and that GG was even grooming herself (and giving us the butt but she didn't call it that).

She feels like because both girls were first time mamas...that either they didn't know to fully clean up afterwards (GG) or maybe they felt like they still had more kits and had to keep trying (Kiwi).....

I'm not sure what to think...but since we know their milk came in...I'll settle for her reasoning.

I did take one of Isenstar's kits and get Kiwi's scent on it and put it in her nest. I hate having lone kits - although sometimes they are so cute as they bond with mama. I was encouraged by another breeder to rebreed Kiwi in 3 days as she would be ready by then....but after some consideration I decided against it. First of all, she herself is teddy and while I might have been able to get something non-teddy....since I have others that are slick...I might as well use them. Secondly, from the condition of the kits she did have - I suspect she has a small pelvis or birth canal or whatever and that she might have a hard time with a second delivery. Its just not worth risking her health to get kits...she'll either be rehomed as a pet later on or kept here as a pet. I do care about her a lot and it would not break my heart to keep her here as a pet.

Thanks so much to those who were watching and praying and sending good vibes - it meant a lot to me because I cried a lot of the way to the vets....just sure I was going to end up losing one or both girls.....

Peg

Latest posts

Back