RESOLVED!!! How much blood should a doe lose at kindling?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinysMom

Reaction score
Girly Girl had her kits - three of them. One is alive and two were DOA - 1 was a peanut.

My concern is that when she got on the tile at the other end of her cage...there was a little puddle of blood - maybe 1/8 - 1/4 tsp of blood/fluids. Should there be that much? It sort of dripped out of her a bit.....

I took her out of the cage and checked her and she was still fairly swollen and a couple of drops of reddish fluid (birth fluids?) came out - so I'm thinking she's still just a bit swollen?

I'm just a bit worried as I've not seen this before - but then again - maybe she just wasn't done cleaning up.....

The only time I've seen pooled blood from a doe was with Bummitimes little Tofu who had a stuck kit.

I would watch her very carefully and if it doesn't stop very soon, I would be very concerned about a stuck kit.

I'm not sure what exactly should be done, but I'm definitly concerned with you.

--Dawn

Flashy wrote:
Any news Peg?
Looks like we're off to the vet's this morning.....I'm so wiped out. I went to bed at midnight and just got up to check her so I could know whether or not to get the car today.

Her privates are still swollen and she's still laying in her nest area. Last night Lisa & I talked for a bit and we suspect a retained placenta or a retained kit or a stuck kit. I'm not sure what to do...

I'm going to call the vet that is 70 miles away that will handle rabbits. I'm not sure if they'll have me bring her in so they can check her - or if they will prescribe oxy and have a local vet fill the prescription. The thing is....if we do the oxy and it doesn't work - then she may have to go there anyway for a c-section....which is just what I needed with the holidays. NOT.

So the question is - do I try for the oxy to get it locally (I'm going to insist on antibiotics too to keep her from going septic)...and see if that works? Or do I insist on taking her there and having them check her?

I'm taking Art to work and going to lay back down till 8 am or so because I won't be able to function to drive if I don't get some more rest.

She isn't in "crisis" as far as being dehydrated and weak - so I am going to get the rest I need so that I can drive her to get her the help she needs.

I'll keep y'all updated.

Oh - and the kit - so healthy...and so darn cute. She is almost laying on top of it and keeping it warm and stuff. If it wasn't for the fact that her privates are swollen...I'd suspect she just wanted to keep it warm...

Peg

I just checked Kiwi also - I had a gut feeling that she wasn't done and I'm almost sure I'm right...so it looks like she's going to go w/ me to the vet....

I had planned to check her anyway this morning - I did check her last night and she still was a bit swollen but she had pulled more fur and stuff.

I've emailed Lisa for any more advice she has, etc. - but if anyone sees this before 8:30 or 9 am CST...please feel free to post so I know what things to ask/say to the doctor..

Peg

Peg

My does usually have just a couple of spots in the nesting material but

I have had them leave a couple of drops on their resting boards as well.

Can you feel another kit in her? It's not unusual for them to be a little swollen

for a couple of days after kindling.

The other doe might have just carried her pregnancy in both horns of the

uterus and hasn't given birth completely yet. One of my best does kindled

one on Monday night and the rest on Tuesday morning and she is fine. I have

had it happen several times before.

Good Luck

Roger

My does will leave a few drops of blood, they look like little puddles, on the floor or in the nest. Given time, they usually clean it up.

If you think there are retained fetus', take her in to the vet.

Not to be scary, but I lost my best doe under very similar circumstances. I also got an Oxy shot and a course of antibiotics. Felt like a weight had been lifted since I had been up with her for 3 days fretting like your doing. False security I guess.
In retrospect, if there had been a rabbit vet around then, she would have went, instead of me best guessing and listening to the local rabbit guru.
You never can tell with rabbits, with mine anyway... and should something be the matter with her, you run the risk of losing her, and the other kits. The general consensus among us local rabbit people was it most likely was toxemia. But then again, we aren't vets...

So I guess I am of the opinion, take her to the vet, because if something happens, you will second guess yourself for a good while.... I know I still do. Put your mind at rest.

Fortunately, there's a new rabbit vet in these parts.

Best of luck!!

Zin

Peg, I would suggest NOT giving oxy as this only causes them to go into labor. She may be too tired to do it again or she could still be contracting. My does also lose blood and I had one where I needed to change the nest box because she had so much blood all over the sides of it.

Sharon

I am sitting here waiting for the vet to call me back....I got up about 9:30 or 9:45 (I was exhausted). I checked both girls at 8:30 and laid back down because while they were in their nests - they were not straining and I've seen girls take a day or so to deliver before. What concerns me is that there was a bit more blood in GG's cage...not a lot - but some.

GG's single surviving baby is SOOOO cute. I held it and cried and cried and cried. As much as I wanted a charlie (which is what I'm thinking it is)....I didn't want it at the expense of GG. I always tell people "Don't breed your pets"....but after I bred GG she and I became sort of close and now I'm really struggling with this. I'm sitting here bawling my eyes out as I type.

If the vet doesn't call by 2 pm our time (which I'm sure he will) - Art and I will drive out there and show up on their doorstep with the girls and insist they check them out...the thing is - I'm not sure if the vet is going to suggest ordering oxy for them from a vet here in our town....and that is why the gal I talked to at the vet clinic suggested that I have the vet call me back.

Kiwi is still growling at me and still going in her nest - so I suspect she has kits in the other uterine horn....I'm hoping she has them ok.

Oh - and as an update- Isenstar's four are doing wonderfully....here is the gal I was so nervous about and she just sort of pops them out and then looks at me like "ok...what's next?"

Peg

We have an appointment for 1:30 pm CST....so we're leaving very soon so we can get there...

Peg

I've tried to avoid posting much today, but I couldn't not.

You know my history of does and labour, it's not a pretty one. I'm desperately hoping all is well, and that both GG and Kiwi are ok.

Sandy delievered three of the seven on the second day, with absolutely no problems at all. So hopefully kiwi will be the same.

GG reminds me very much of Oz, I really hope that things turn out better for GG than Oz. I personally agree with Starlight, in that giving a tired doe something that would make her even more tired might be tempting fate, and I probably would just take her straight to the vet far away.

I hope your vet calls soon. You are all in my thoughts.

And crying is good, often things get more perspective after that, and can help you get a plan for what to do.

You know where I am in you want a chat.

I'm glad you got aquick appointment!

Good Luck!

This vet prefers to not use oxytocin until she at least does an x-ray. We talked about the cost of doing the surgery, etc. very briefly....looks like there goes Art's Christmas bonus (if need be) - but I have GOT to save these girls.

My prayer is that the vet will do the xray and agree to try the oxytocin before going on to the c-section.

These girls will NEVER be bred again - even if they deliver on the way to the vet. Its not worth the health risks.

I'm gonna go bawl while I get them into the carriers - I'm waiting till the last minute to get them in...

I'm a nervous wreck.

Peg

*hugs*

I can so relate to the pain you feel right now.

I don't know if this helps, but Polly had a doe who had to have a c-section but who also had a live kit and she turned out to bea great mum :) Just a little ray of hope for you there.

I'm really hoping this all works out for you.

Hang in there and cry as much as you need to :)

I already PM'ed you about it, but I just wanted to say that I hope everything goes well for you and them. Keep us posted.

When I picked up GG to put her in the carrier - she got a spot of blood on me...so I KNOW I'm doing the right thing..

I'm on my way out the door now.

Peg

DOA= dead on arrival

CST= central standard time (I presume, but I'm not American, so I don't know, but it's something similar if it's not that).

Still thinking of you all Peg, I'm waiting for an update :)

Latest posts

Back