Really Scared for Abby

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Abby is doing about the same as last nighttoday. She's still pooping, just small poops. She'snot showing any interest in pellets, but did eat a few Cheerios when Ihand fed her this morning. Oh, she needs to figure out how toeat on her own again. LOL I'm feeling confidentenough to say that we are through the worst of it.

I think we might have found the cause of her problem. When Ifound her so sick, I sat down to check her and got a shock. Ididn't even think about it because my Mom had said the fan quitworking. I just unplugged it and went about taking care ofAbby. Last night when I went to clean cages I looked reallyclosely at the cord and it looked like it had been chewed.Now, I have a few problems with this scenario: 1. She's been out of hercage a million times and never chewed any cords 2. The cord was placedup, so I'm not sure how she could have gotten to it 3. Thereis no way she could have gotten it from inside her cage. Ijust don't know, but maybe.

I really have to thank everyone for all the support: Tina for talkingme through the awful beginning until all hours of the night, Carolynfor all the advice on medication and feeding, Angel and DJ for justbeing there, PGG and Amanda for their PMs. Honestly I need tothank everyone for all the prayers, we really needed them.Everyone here is wonderful, you couldn't have been better.

Jen and Abby

I had trouble getting Corky to start eating onhis own again...I started out byextra greens and after a fewdays of making sure that was going well, slowly backed them offagain...the main objective was to keep him eating, doc didn't care howat that point!

So glad she's doing better...scary stuff about the fan!! We put plasticcord cover things over ours and I can see where during playtime theybeen chewin on that, so glad we did that...thats cheaper to replacethan the heartache of loising someone or going thru what youhave....hang in there, sounds like your over the worst of it!

You've done great, she's very lucky to have you!

That is not good. I get scared when sweetPeacould be near any electrical stuff. At least she is over the worst justgot to get her to eat. THank God she is ok now.

Hey that is what friends are for. :love::bunnydance:

I'm still not sure about the cord...I reallydon't know how she could have gotten to it, unless she took a flyingleap!

PGG: She doesn't eat greens! LOL What a silly bunnyshe is! She's all about the canned pumpkin though.I have to go get some more. At this point, she can have asmuch as she wants. Hopefully she'll eat thepelletsor something from a dish soon.

Jen

Hi Jen,

As much as she is your bunny, we feel like she is our little girl too.I was really upset about everything when she was down, but I also knewthat she couldn't bein much better hands. you have a talentand a passion and I am glad that you have "brought her back to us" soto speak. We bring the Coroplast up high in the back of thecage so the buns cant get to anything outside. We also putthe Coroplast on the outside of the cage and set the cubes down in sideso they cant chew on the Coroplast and ingest any type of unnaturalmaterials. I hope this helps. God bless and keep upthe good work.

Hey DJ! Thanks. Actually Idon't use coroplast right now, I have plastic under thecages. She couldn't have gotten the cord from inside hercage, so I don't know. No matter what, I got aquarium tubingto put around the fan cords just in case anyone else decided to take aleap. I have the cords secured to the walls and the plugs arehigh up, so they have never been a problem before.

Jen

Jen, I am so happy I am beside myself.Way to go Mom for being on top of it and nursing Abby back to health.Way to go Abby for being such a good girl for Mom. Chinning the syringeis very sweet. Keep fighting.

Poops and 'Tude are great at this point.

:hug:for both of you. You have been through alot.

Tina

That is one thing I learned about animals isthat the yalways do the strangest and weirdest things and on top of itall, they ALWAYS have a way to keep us guessing.

I'm SOO happy Abby is poopin' again!

I used conduit to cover my wires. It's cheap and you can get from anyhardware store. Tucker had a habbit of finding wires i'd tucked awayand nibbling on them. Monkeys!

I even caught him nibbling on the conduit, so I sprayed bitter apple on the conduit and he leaves it alone now!

:balloons:Keep up the poops Abby!:balloons:

:monkey::monkey::monkey::monkey:

Abby is still pooping, but she's also still noteating. I've been hand feeding her, and she will eat thatway, but she won't eat from the dish! It's going to befrustrating.

I feel like such a bad Bunny Mom because she may have gotten thatwire. I don't know how she could have gotten it, but I don'thave any other explanation. I have a major case of the guilts.

Jen

Hah!! Sounds like she is milking this out!! Likea sick kid that keeps pretending they have a fever so they dun have togo to school! :p

So happy 'bout those poops! and you cant blame yourself for thatwire...same thing as a lil kid stickin their finger in a socket ..itsbound to eventually happen...chin up missy! dont let Abby catch ontoany negative vibes shes dependent on your good mood to keep her going!

SweetPeasMommie wrote:
She is a sneaky bun just like SweetPea.
Abby is the ultimate sneak! I have finally managed to keepher in her cage. I have 6 binder clips on it. Shejust can't undo them all yet. LMBO

Jen

:bunnydance:I have really good newsonour little girl: She ate on her own!! I went tocheck her one last time before bed and her pellets looked like she hadeaten some. I measured them out and she had eaten just over1/4 cup!!! I couldn't tell if she had eaten any hay, her hayball was pushed against Basil's cage, so she might have stolensome. However, as soon as Abby came out of her cage, she wentright to Basil's cage and started eating her hay! When I putAbby to bed, she was eating some hay and pellets with oats.I'm so proud of her!

I have a question though: She had some simethicone today and some tetracycline, but how long should I continue giving her those?

:colors:

Jen

Latest posts

Back