Really Scared for Abby

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cirrustwi

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Last night, Abby was all out of sorts.She was just sitting in her litter box and didn't come out. Imade her come out but something just wasn't right.

I'm not sure how properly my mom followed their diet (don't get mestarted...) while I was away, and now I'm paying for it.

I spent the next 3 hrs on the phone with Tina. She got mecalmed down, from hysterical...although I'm there again. Wemade her a pellet slurry and Abby willingly drank the water from thetop. I force fed her some canned pumpkin. This wenton for hours. We had 3 little poops, but no more since.

I have to get back to her and try to rest some myself, I'm gettingnonfunctional. Please, Please pray for my littleAbby. I can't stand to even think of what could happen.

Jen

I'm praying even now.....do you have thenon-flavored pedialyte? If it were me - I'd trying using thatto make the slurry with...just to get some nutrients in her...

BUT...Tina and others know far far more than Ido.

Anyway - Abby is in my prayers - as are you!

Peg

THis weather hasnot been friendly to any rabbit lately. Poor Abby , Poor you , Withas many rabbits going Stasislately I have to wonder about the weather havingan influence , hot to chillyback to hot . I know us Humanshave been going thru a lot of Viral infections, Have you gotten hold of her Vet yet, Give the Vet a call and see what theythink . keep us posted Honwere right here for you .

Gypsy is right...call the vet,immediately! Just make sure that you keep her eating and giveher lots of exercise. I had lost a rabbit to GI Statis and Ihave saved two others from it. My vet was a hugehelp. I used Gerber baby food (veggie only) and they seemedto love it. I also gave oatmeal.

Good Luck and my thoughts are with you.

She just ate...well, I made her eat...10 cc's ofthe slurry mix. It consists of pumpkin, pellets, water, anelectrolyte booster and some kayro syrup. She and I are goingto havea cuddle and try to get a little sleep.

Keep treating her for it, until she's eating willingly on her own and passing waste.

Recently, I went through the same thing with my doe Abby, so I know what you're going through.

The infant gas drops seemed to really help with my rabbit. I would mixit with water and force feed it to her. I'd do this after feeding hertwo syringes of the slurry mix. I was force feeding her every four tofive hours too.

Oh, it's so difficult when our little guys aresick, and I wish I could take it away every time I read about anothersweet baby going through this. I have no words of wisdom for youJen...just letting you know that Abby is in my thoughts and prayerstoday.

And (((Hugs))) for you too...this must be so hard for you...

Be well soon, Abby

:rose:

Do you have some tetracycline? What about NutriCal?

You're in my prayers, Jen. Please let us know what's happening.

-Carolyn

Hi Jen,

Prayers and good thought sent your way.

Make sure you plan a visit to the vet soon. S'mores GI issue was caused by an infection and she needed antibiotics.

Limit her pellets and give her lots of fresh hay.Our vetwanted us to hold off on the slurry in case it was a blockage.

S'more is 7lbs and we gave her 3ozs of pellets daily. We mixed 2 tspns of rolled oats in with the pellets as well.

We forced Pedialyte mixed with fresh pineapple juice & canned pumpkin. We also gave her Nutri-cal.

Try a little vanilla in her water if she's not drinking. (S'more liked the taste)

If she's got gas/bloat you can give her some simethicone.

The vet gave us the antibiotic, Laxatone for possible furblock, and Benebac to stabilize her GI flora.

Keep us posted!

~Jim

Hi Jen, everybodyhas their own advice stemming from their experience. So, I guess I'lloffer up mine also. I force fed Sebastian also. Pumpkin and pineapplejuice. He also got Nutrical,I think it was twice a day, butI'd have to go back and check the old posts to see for sure. I alsoconstantly offered him a piece of his favorite greens or a little pieceof a healthier treat, like a cheerio, just as a measurement of wherehis appetite and overall status was.

I've learned since then, mostly from Pam,that the pineapple juice may not break up the fur like we thought backthen, but from what I gather, it may have helped him with hydration andcalories. The pineapple has a lot of fiber to move the blockagesthrough and it has a lot of water in it too, which helps with hydrationas well.

After he got over his Stasis I've alwaysgiven him a tsp of oats with is pellets every day from then on. Ofcourse, there is debate on that issue too....

Good Luck Sweetie! You're in my prayers.

Raspberry

Jen how is my sweet Abby doing now. I just gotup to get the news that she has not eaten much. When we had these bunsI never knew that they could eat some greens, cheerios, and raisins. Itis sorta my fault for that. She likes carrots maybe try a baby carrotor a small peice of apple. she always crave for some of those. I am sosorry that you had to go through it. Give her cuddle for me along withbunny kissies.

Here is Abby when she was a baby on March 1st.

Abby the day that Jen got her.

Jen, Hi Sweetheart. I am so very sorryAbby hasn't improved. I thought for sure I read this morning that shehad pooped. Call the vet hun and don't be afraid to call me ok. I ampraying so hard for both you and Abby. Hugs to you both. Please IM orcall anytime. I'm here for you and Abby.

Tina

Latest posts

Back