"Peg's Place" - the Adventures & Misadventures of all the buns here

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last set of photos:

So much to see....smell....taste...
DSCN5250.jpg

oh...and hear too...
DSCN5251.jpg

I think mom's calling but I don't want to come in yet...
DSCN5252.jpg

I'll just sit here and look regal and blend into the scenery...mom won't notice my white fur..
DSCN5257.jpg

Aw mom.....
DSCN5263.jpg

I don't wanna come in yet...
DSCN5264.jpg

What did she just say to me?
DSCN5269.jpg

Time to come in?
DSCN5270.jpg

I'm outta here....gotta go hide..
DSCN5273.jpg

I hope you liked the pictures - I just have to add that I was so disappointed when we took Zeus outside and I saw how DIRTY he was. But Art said something like, "Honey...he's a rabbit...not a kid. Don't try to dress him up...just let him play. There's more to life than pictures..."

:shock:

I'm thinking I'll clean Zeus up tonight and let him go play outside more tomorrow or later this week and just "happen" to have the camera handy....

Oh - and I looked at outfits for Zeus at Walmart yesterday and Art was like, "Friends don't let friends dress up their pets...".

:p

Oh - and I looked at outfits for Zeus at Walmart yesterday and Art was like, "Friends don't let friends dress up their pets...".

LOL! I love that! :biggrin2:

I sometimes get mortified because Yofi always seems to have big fat filthy feets and they sometimes show up in pics - and that's even when he's in the house. I look at Zeus and think, there's no way he'd stay clean at my place...he's white. I can never keep anything that's white clean, even animals. He's a bunny, he's s'posed to get dirty. :p I figure, the more dirt there is, the more evidence it is of his having fun! Woohoo!

TinysMom wrote:

haha...I love the dirt speckles on the whiskers! (Speaking of white bunnies) Kiwi's so white they really show up! She has a gorgeous coat. :)

And I love the pics of Zeus in a tree...I bet you could show them to some non-rabbit people and tell them that you have a wild bunny living in a tree outside, and they'd believe you. :p

Zeus also kinda reminds me of the white rabbit from Monty Python and the Holy Grail in those tree pics...like he's lying in wait for the soldiers to arrive, ready to pounce when they least expect it...:biggrin2:

Bassetluv wrote:
He's a bunny, he's s'posed to get dirty. :p I figure, the more dirt there is, the more evidence it is of his having fun! Woohoo!
Yeah- I think I heard Zeus saying that when I was fussing at him for being dirty...

Bassetluv wrote:
TinysMom wrote:

haha...I love the dirt speckles on the whiskers! (Speaking of white bunnies) Kiwi's so white they really show up! She has a gorgeous coat. :)

And I love the pics of Zeus in a tree...I bet you could show them to some non-rabbit people and tell them that you have a wild bunny living in a tree outside, and they'd believe you. :p

Zeus also kinda reminds me of the white rabbit from Monty Python and the Holy Grail in those tree pics...like he's lying in wait for the soldiers to arrive, ready to pounce when they least expect it...:biggrin2:
I never noticed the dirt in the whiskers till you pointed it out...oh my!

Kiwi may be bred in the next few days (she wants to breed NOW). Its sorta nervewracking for me and I'm going to contact Kate first just to double check that she still wants her bred.

Basically - Kiwi is the last of a line that Kate lost when dogs attacked her rabbitry in New Mexico. She asked me this summer if I'd consider breeding Kiwi this fall so she can get that line back.

I'm going to contact her and see if she would like her bred to Sting - a buck who is small and compact and would really help with some of Kiwi's flaws.

Kiwi is about 1 1/2 years old - but she's already had a litter - she just lost them (they weren't quite fully formed even though they were early). I talked to another breeder at the time and she said she could've had a virus or something....

Anyway - it would still be safe to breed Kiwi...

By the way - here is Kiwi as a young 'un...

DSCN0472.jpg

and here is Miss Isenstar from shortly afer I got her:

DSCN0374-1.jpg

DSCN0373-1.jpg

Since I talk about her so much - Saphira as a little doe..

DSCN0275.jpg

Edited to add this picture..of Saphira again..
DSCN0329-1.jpg

Well...since I'm showing off baby pics..

Legendary Mini's Sting
ssbuckfromKaela.jpg

Buffalo Creek's Saphira (or Sapphira - never quite sure how to spell it)
secondbluedoe.jpg

Legendary Mini's Isenstar
ssdoefromKaela.jpg

Kiwi may be bred in the next few days (she wants to breed NOW). Its sorta nervewracking for me and I'm going to contact Kate first just to double check that she still wants her bred.

Basically - Kiwi is the last of a line that Kate lost when dogs attacked her rabbitry in New Mexico. She asked me this summer if I'd consider breeding Kiwi this fall so she can get that line back.

This is a silly question, but...what breed is Kiwi? Is she a lionhead mix? (I know next to nothing about lionheads, or many of the breeds nowadays, come to think of it.) She looks almost like an Angora to me, only she looks small. It'd be really interesting to see babies from her, she's so gorgeous.

Oh, and gosh, to lose rabbits to dogs is so horrible. I went through that once when I had Polish. Though I did only lose one - well, to say only is making it sound trivial, but to lose any rabbit to a dog attack is horrific - three others all lost toes on their front feet from the dogs biting at them under the cages. And all of the survivors were extremely traumatised for quite some time afterward. Awful, awful thing to happen...I can only imagine how it must have been for Kate.

On a much brighter note, THIS picture just melted my heart:

TinysMom wrote:

:inlove:

Kiwi is a purebred lionhead - BUT - like the majority of brokens - she is a "teddy" style for her fur coat. She's really such a puffball. Most of my brokens are puffballs though (teddies).

Triad and Ohana are the only non-teddy brokens I've ever had (and one son from Ohana who was single mane). Both Triad and Ohana are double mane...but they don't carry that teddy gene.

Here they are - compared with some other brokens to show you what I mean..

Triad:
triad-1.jpg

ARG - I can't find one of Ohana right off. She was supposed to go to someone last year at the Lionhead Nationals convention (she was the mom of Dusty, Drew & Bun Bun & myLoki's Lily) - but when we weren't able to go due to van problems - she stayed here.

A week or so later...the new owner had a rabbitry fire and lost ALL of her rabbits.

I was so glad Ohana had stayed here.

Here's Twix - another broken - maybe you can see her "teddi-ness"..

DSCN2416.jpg

This is Sundae - my first broken lionhead:
12c72a2c.jpg

I love her.

Of course - a post with pictures of brokens wouldn't be complete without these photos from 2006....can you find Jenny's babies in here?

Oct312006lionheadweanlings037.jpg

Oct312006lionheadweanlings017.jpg

Oct312006lionheadweanlings018.jpg

Oct312006lionheadweanlings019.jpg

Oct312006lionheadweanlings023.jpg

Of course - as always seems to be the case - I took the pictures the day before cage cleaning day when I'd pull out the tiles and run them (and food bowls, etc) through the dishwasher...

But there were 10 or 12 or more weanlings in there that week - getting used to living without mama.

Ah, see...I never even heard of lionhead teddies. I knew about the single- and double-maned, but not them.

A week or so later...the new owner had a rabbitry fire and lost ALL of her rabbits.

Omigosh, all I can say to that is :sad:...and thank God that Ohana was with you.

Those babies are just so absolutely gorgeous! :inlove: I love bunnies at that age; they are so adorable when they do their little binkies and sudden darts and stops, like they're so wired they don't know what to do with themselves! That's the one thing I miss about breeding. :D You're surrounded by so much cuteness and love...

Oh man...this is just tearing me up inside...

Kate just replied - she'd really like to have some rabbits from Kiwi - she loved that line (she was just starting it) and she lost everything in the dog attack and the aftermath of it (the kits survived for a few weeks and then died during weaning).

The thing is...in order to breed Kiwi and have a good chance with the kits - I need to breed a second doe so I have a backup mom for nursing, etc. It just makes more sense to breed two does at the same time...

My absolutely best doe to breed - would be Isenstar.

She is my most showable - she's an awesome mom. I'd offer to breed her to Triad.

But I don't think I can do it. If I lost Issy...I'd be heartbroken.

That leaves Saphira - another no go.

That then brings me to Leona, Faith, Bandita, Peanut, and Lamybkins.

I'm going to have to really think this through before I do any breeding....I want Kate to get back her lines - BUT - I really really want to breed a second doe that .... well....that isn't one of my favorites.

(Before I got out of breeding - I wouldn't have worried as much about which doe to pick - but I almost lost Saphira...I just can't risk it again with a doe that lives with me in the office).

This just came on a lionhead list that I'm on. I did not write it - I'm not sure who did exactly...so please do not forward it till I can track it down.

It is a letter to a breeder - from a rabbit.

[line]Dear Breeder,

I know that you have been exhorting us all to come into color and coat, ever more
urgently as the days draw closer to ARBA convention, but I must confess that I just can not do it. My middling color and coat condition is just that, middling, and the expression on your face this morning, when you fed us, makes me feel that some sort of explanation is in
order.

Look, I was planning on a fairly easy summer. A summer in which I could relax and
muse, and be in great shape to color and condition up nicely for the fall show season.
Unfortunately, it was not to be. I am not complaining about having been bred and
delivering bunnies. On the contrary, I was quite happy about it. Truth is, being in heat is no picnic. The thing is, I was happy to have delivered my one little bundle of joy. He would grow on all the milk I had for him and raising him promised to be a breeze!

But.... when I returned to my nest box the next evening, there were three more kits in there! Look, I don't mind raising other doe's bunnies but you could have let me know something, before plopping them in there. Satet is a nice doe, and I know she had a large litter and moving the three littlest ones to my box was, probably, the best thing for all parties concerned. In addition, my little black son was elated to have brothers and sisters. So... you know... I can see why this was done.

The problem, though, and the reason I am mentioning this now in explanation of my
current coat and color condition, is that those little additional bunnies were blues! And you know what that means! A lot of work! It's not that I think blues are any less Himmies than us blacks. Oh certainly not that. No... it's just that the blues in our little community of cages are a different bloodline and are.... well..... you know.... high maintenance!

Don't get me wrong. It was fun to raise those little blues. I really, really enjoyed it.
But... it was good that my little buck was so robust and eager or he would have been in trouble, for sure. Those blues... they just need everything! Can't tell you how many times I was simply levitated by their greediness.

You know well what a great job I did raising these kits. Satet, looking from her cage
across the way, just beamed at how her fostered bunnies were growing, all the while
sustaining all manner of pummeling from the four that were left for her to raise.

So.. you see, my summer was a bit more involved than I had planned. It didn't help
that you waited until the first of September to separate all of the bunnies.

To sum up, I think the mediocrity of my color and coat is about the best you can
expect at this time, considering everything that has happened.

I deserve a vacation.

Yours truly, Vera. Black Senior Doe, Cage 31

Spring wrote:
How is Faith doing, by the way? Did she just not take?
Faith is doing quite well and does not appear to be pregnant.

I wound up not taking her to the vet - but there was a good reason.

The day I pulled her out of Dallas' cage - her privates were light pink - dry - no sign of mating.

I forget exactly when it was - like 7 or 8 days later - her privates were very very dark pink - wet - in other words - prime condition for breeding. I checked her because she was chasing everyone and mounting them and just being a witch.

I talked to several breeders about this and the consensus was that she most likely did not get pregnant if she was like this now.

I have palpated her 3 times since then and I can't feel any signs of kits (I'm about to palpate her again today). She's a fairly small lionhead - so you'd think that if she was going to have even one Cali kit - I'd be feeling it by now.

Another reason I did not take her to the vet was Sasha coming down with what might've been parvo virus and needing $250 of vet treatments....kinda wiped out my emergency vet fund.

However, I am keeping a close eye on Faith. Just so far...no signs of pregnancy at all.

I think I've mentioned Popcorn before....she's a bully. She has to be caged where she can't mess with other girls because she doesn't play nice.

Minnie (aka "Minniekins, my baby") also doesn't play nice with others. She doesn't play nice largely out of fear - but she's also very aggressive.

Minnie has been on the bedroom floor w/ Miss Bea and others for about 3 days now - because Wedge needed to borrow her pen for a bit. Popcorn has also been in the bedroom on the floor (well - mainly sleeping on my bed).

So this morning I'm getting ready to leave the bedroom - and what do I see?

Minnie and Popcorn snuggled up together.

Yeah - snuggled close....and I thought one was grooming the other right before I came around the bed....

Miracles can happen...now if I can just get Miss Bea to accept them...

Well - Minnie is back in her pen. When I'm in the room - I'll let her out to play - but when I went in the room earlier - she and Gloria were going at it and neither was willing to give up the fight. I picked up Minnie and cuddled with her on the bed and she was just MAD....furious actually. I wish I could know what their argument was about....Gloria does tend to protect the food a bit too much - but this wasn't over the food - I could tell that much.

With Minnie off the floor - Popcorn made her way over to Miss Bea and I swear she was talking to her about getting the girls to accept Minnie. I don't know...just...Popcorn was being submissive and every once in a while she'd look up at the bed where I had Minnie and then put her head by Miss Bea again.

So now - Minnie is mad at me 'cause she's penned. Miss Bea is mad at me cause I gave her meds (I'm really concerned about her - she's just not been herself although she is eating and pooping). Popcorn is not happy with me either.

Oh - and I have to share about Zeus...I sent a few of his photos to Wendy at Magic Happens Rabbit Rescue (where we got him) - she said he looks happy and she forwarded the photos on to his original owner. I hope that makes that person feel good to see how happy Zeus is (and he really is happy - as long as I stay at least 5 feet away from him now that he's been picked up a couple of times).

Speaking of Zeusy - the soft area of his fur is a bit bigger now than it was before - so I guess it really was a bad moult he's going through. I think the sunflower seeds are helping.

Well - I'm off to work on housework and the rabbits...

Oct312006lionheadweanlings018.jpg

This is a lovely picture, indulgent amount of cuteness here :inlove:. The one with the large dark patches around it's eyes is just perfect. I wish they would stay this cute and tiny forever!

EEK! Elvis is lucky he is such a clean bunny. Otherwise he would have a bath to.

JadeIcing wrote:
EEK! Elvis is lucky he is such a clean bunny. Otherwise he would have a bath to.
Elvis is also lucky he doesn't live in a garage where he can go play in dust piles and hide behind dirty things and get stuff all over his fur.

Poor Zeus - instead of living inside the house - he has to live in such squalor.

The only thing is - when I try to bring him back out - he runs right back into the garage as fast as he can.

I think he loves having stuff to hide behind and in and I think he really enjoys getting dirty sometimes.

So I figure...if I can't keep white clean all the time (or for more than 5 minutes at a time) ... why should I expect him to keep his white coat clean...

I just wish I'd noticed the dirty BEFORE the photo shoot - but when Art picked him up - the dirty side was against Art's chest - so the first time I saw the dirt was through the lens of the camera..

Poor Zeus...living in a garage....with three does....having all sorts of dusty boxes and dirty stuff to hide behind and play with....

...he has such a rough life..

:biggrin2:

Latest posts

Back