My Heart's on Fire for Elvira

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I need to go look at boxes to see if I can find one with higher sides. She has the kitten litter box from walmart and the bigger pan type one, thats like 18 x 12 x 4 or something like that. They were cheaper than some, but still sometimes those things are expensive! haha. If I can't find one with higher sides, I can just put some cardboard where she likes to pee and make the sides higher like that and that way I can just throw the "wall" away. And she would probably like to chew on it as she pooped. LOL

I tell you what, the best bunny Christmas present is a paper grocery bag! Ellie's in rabbit heaven!
This morning, I've been to the regular grocery store, to see my mom and to the healthy grocery store ALL before I've had my coffee! I only flipped out one time and almost got out of the car but I had a seat belt on and couldn't get out! haha. Seriously though, if you have a blinker on it doesn't mean that you can just merge into traffic at any given time. You still have to wait for an opening. This lady cut us off and we almost hit her, my husband had to slam on breaks. It was like 9am when this happened and I was like oh hell no! I'm getting out! Then I tried to open the door and get out but the seat belt stopped me. Then this lady had the balls to get out of the car and shrug at me for yelling at her, so I flipped out! I yelled a lot of crap to her my husband laughed so hard at me. THEN she turned in to get some chicken from Bojangles! I was like YEAH YOU GET YOUR CHICKEN B! hahahha. My husband was laughing so hard, he was crying. Then he went and told all his golf mates and they all laughed at me.
I was okay after that! I got it all out of my system and I'm in a pretty good mood now! hahaha. Still need coffee though. :)

From the healthy store, I got some filler-free turkey hot dogs and I got some really great uncured bacon. It was crazy pricey, but its going to be so worth it! I also got breakfast and my favorite chapstick. That stuff is the best. haha.
Now off to clean my house. My husbands friend is coming over to so the hub can replace his breaks. I've got to do some chicken coop stuff, like weed eat all the weeds around their coop. BUT our weed eater is difficult and I'm not sure that I'll be able to work it, LOL. Oh well, they can still free range a bit.

Happy Saturday! I hope everyone has a good day! Its really beautiful here. :)

Ellie and AJ have met now! Ellie runs back and forth in her pen and she's like "hey who are you?! You're not my hooman, you're a little hooman. I don't know if I like you" Then she goes to hide in the corner, then she comes back and shes like "what?! What?! This is my pen!" hahaha. She looks like of crazy! But I think she would really like him, she's periscoping at him and probably looking for him to feed her something. haha.
She's a crazy.

Yah it's ridiculous what is charged at times for a litter box but that's one of the things we deal with living in a country where people are crazy about their critters.

There is no way you would ever get me to go shopping without having my coffee first. I drink a cup when I first get up and take one with me I drink while I drive there because shopping makes me need extra. Ha! People would not like me at the store without it.

You have to watch with the brown paper bags. Long story short but years ago I was in a situation to talk to someone from the EPA and they informed me that a lot of people get roaches from them. Apparently they like to lay eggs on the paper bags, you bring the bags home and in a little while they hatch and voila you have roaches.

Ewww. Thats pretty gross about the bags! I'll let her chew it on it for a few days then I'll take it away when I clean out her pen.

Now I'm dragging from no coffee so I'm sitting and having a cup. My child is going insane. Its like, as soon as he gets food into his little baby body he just looses his mind. I'm having dejavu as I type this, because he's hitting the fat cat with my bra and I'm pretty sure he's done that before and I've shared it before. But after he eats he just goes insane and starts acting crazy.
And he just instantly made me super ill, he just hit the Fat Cat with a remote and I almost lost my s*it on him. Hopefully he'll go to his grandma's for the night!

So my best friends mom just called me to ask me where the mayo was in the THEIR house. LMAO Thats when you know you're close to a family, when they call to ask you if you've seen the mayo in the their house. hahahaha.

A couple of days and I´ve missed loads....mine use a little tray with a surround and it stops them peeing outside. They´re not mega expensive over here...yay, something cheaper then where you are. I love Houdini´s corner tray, it´s massive and has a surround and is really deep. He loves sleeping in it as well.

Some of the kids programmes, I just don´t get now. I did like Dora but you´re right, she does shout and you don´t need to repeat something so much. Have seen Manny, think it´s Manny Manitas in Spanish, I suppose they think that repetition makes everyone learn quicker.

I´ve been having to speak French today which I did at school...how hard is it remembering how to conjugate verbs and make sentences after so many years. I went to my friend´s house for lunch and her French was there on holiday. I was actually really pleased as I did quite well. I drove the lady back so had to make conversation in the car as well....did I feel good at the end lol.

I know buns and cats for that matter love the brown paper bags. Why does everything that can be fun and is cheap if not free come with a negative? Ha

I've been working in the garden raking between our rows, it's crazy hot out. I also added cardboard to the kitties cage so I can get in to clean easier and they have more room plus gave everyone some canned food. Cleaned their cage, kids asking for this and that...started to feel grumpy so that's what I just did made a cup of coffee. A beer would be nice but then I probably wouldn't get another thing done and there's plenty more to do.

Sounds like AJ needs to go run around in the yard. Too bad he wasn't older you could give him some chores to do to burn off all that energy.

That is close!

I wish I could let AJ do chores that would make my life SO much easier. I do make him put his toys up but that only goes so far because he takes them all back out like 10 minutes later! haha.

I drank a beer last night at Hooters and it was pretty good. The hub and I went to dinner and we were going to go see Iron Man, but we decided not too because it was already pretty late. Well, he got tipsy and I had to drive home. I had a headache and oh my god he was so loud and so annoying! haha. We came home and started to watch a movie, but like 20 minutes into it I had to go to bed because my head and jaw hurt so bad.

Now I'm going to go cook some late breakfast. I've been on here for way too long, then I got distracted by Gordon Ramsey because he's so funny. I have some uncured organic bacon to cook!

When we were kids we would sometimes help our parents clean the house. You can't imagine how fast everything goes. Well I guess it was really fast because it was 3 kids cleaning the place. But then everyday it would slowly get cluttered again as my little sister would look through a whole toy box and throw everything on the floor looking for one toy.

I've seen iron man. I love that movie. Which one were you going to watch? I've watched all three of them but I think the second on is my favorite.

I know what you mean about getting distracted, I'm on here so much a lot of times I forget what I have to do. Its the same thing with crocheting, I'm crocheting something and than I remember that I had to garden or bake something and sometimes its too late by then.

Aw, Gordon Ramsey, I do laugh at him sometimes and my Spanish friends loves watching him, he´s always cursing at people.

Saw Iron Man 1 and 2 a couple of weeks ago and really enjoyed them...just need to see number 3 now.

Of course I hit the backspace button and everything I just wrote disappeared. **** it! haha. Its okay, I'll just start again.

I love Gordon Ramsay, he's so funny and so vulgar. But its not like he's cursing AT you, he's just saying words. Everything that he says starts out with F me or F-ing Hell. hahha. I wonder if its a Scottish thing to use such language? Like no one even bats an eye at him. LOL

Yesterday, I sold 4 chickens! I gave my number to the girl at the feed store because she told me that people had been stopping by asking if she knew anyone who was selling chickens. So this guy called me yesterday and asked if I had any left. I said yes come on down! So he did, he picked up 3 hens and a rooster! I was so excited. Now, I only have Hen and Bluebell left, and Big Blue, the black roo and two whites. Then Big Boy of course. But I made a little bit of money on them and I didn't need the whites.
I have a plan, since I have Bluebell, I should be able to get a black rooster and make more blue babies. Hopefully I'll be able to pick up a nice black rooster and find another home for Big Boy.
Well today I did make the chickens coop much bigger! I gave them half of the barn yard, for the evening time. That way I can let them out and not have to worry too much about them. But I did let them into the yard today, they really enjoyed themselves. The big babies.

Wednesday is AJ's birthday! He'll be 2! Its crazy how fast time flies. We're having his party on Sunday, but his actual birthday is the 5th. My dad got him a John Deere lawn tractor with a little trailer that it pulls behind it, AJ is going to LOVE it.
Then Thursday, we're going to a BBQ for my dad's girlfriend's special needs son, who is graduating the 8th grade. Its a big thing for him and he's pretty excited about it! I'm making another one of those fruit trifles, it was a huge hit at the other BBQ; so now I think I have the market on summer time desserts! LOL

Oh and my organic bacon was DELICIOUS! I baked it. It was great. I made bacon, egg and cheese biscuits and I swear they were restaurant quality. My husband was very impressed by them! haha. I also made some organic hotdogs and they were SO good. They didn't quite taste like regular hot dogs, but they tasted a lot like turkey. They were nitrite and nitrate free, which is a good thing!

And now I'm done, giving you guys the dinner menu and my weekly itinerary. Sorry, its been a rambling sort of day.

I've watched Gordon Ramsey before and do like him. His show doesn't annoy me as much as other shows of that sort do. I think how the Irish or Scots curse is so much better than any one else. Like they don't just say one curse word. They will say at least a whole sentence but often more and they use such descriptive words. I love it. I watch movies I come across on tv simply because the people are Irish or Scots. I love the accents and then throw in the cussing and I'm happy.

Yay, you sold chickens! That's great. It didn't seem like you have that many from looking at pics but when you list them off it seems like a whole lot.

Happy early Birthday to AJ! I always celebrated my kids birthdays on weekends. It just mad it easier for people to come rather than during the week. The girls it depends on whether it's just family or if we are having a bigger party.

Your breakfast sounds really good.

Last year for AJ's first birthday we had like 40 people over for a cook out. I cooked all the food and my husband and I set everything up with no help. It was insane and I was exhausted! So this year, I said screw that! We're having a cook out with like 10 people and if anyone else wants to come they can. I'm smoking a pork shoulder thats like 9 lbs and I'll make all the proper sides, like potato salad, cole slaw, my own BBQ sauce, the families famous macaroni salad, chips and whatever else I decide to make. I'm also making cupcakes and some cookies. And of course, fresh fruit and veggies, like big platters with dips.
I'll put the shoulder on at like 4 am and that will make it done around 1-2, when everyone is arriving and they can dig into sandwiches or however they choose to eat it. It should be nice and simple and relaxed and MUCH easier than last year! LOL

Yes, I love the way they cuss in Europe. Its so much better! hahaha. Thats so weird, it must be the accent.

I still have 7 chickens. It doesn't seem like as many as I had, but its still a lot. But I'm hoping that my mama hen will brood some more eggs and I can have more babies! hahah. I just love them all. I think I want to go get an incubator, so I can hatch my own eggs. But I'll wait until I get the black roo to get the 'bator, that way I'll have the "right" colored babies! haha. I just can't wait to get the good blues. I love them all though, they're so funny to watch. They did so good today out in the yard. They try to fly because they think they're real birds and its hilarious. I'm like, y'all weigh 8 lbs already and you weren't meant to fly!

Happy Birthday to AJ! I bet he's going to love that little tractor. I hope you post pics :) The bbq sounds really good too. Having to cater to 40 people does sound like a lot of work. 10 sounds much more managable.

I loved Ellie's reaction to meeting AJ. She was probably wondering what this short little person was exactly, but was probably pretty interested cause he's not quite so big as you and your hubby. It'll be kind of fun to hear how it goes when they actually meet.

That's great that you sold some of your chickens. I'm sure it's nice to not have quite so many. Hopefully you can find a nice roo to replace your attack roo :)

I have to admit, I immediately pictured AJ pulling Ellie around in his new tractor. :rofl: She'd probably hate that, but it's cute to imagine it!

How often do chickens have...er... clutches? I've always wondered about that, since people that have laying hens say they lay 1-2 eggs per day but they must lay a crapload at once to have a big group of chicks, right? :confused:

Last edited:
My hen by herself hatched out 12 chicks. She makes one egg a day and if you collect them you won't have chicks, but if you don't collect them then you could have chicks if the hen is inclined to sit on them. I collect (or try) to collect the eggs everyday, there not fertilized anyway. Most people don't just let the eggs sit out there, they collect them and store them properly and wait for a hen to go broody, most people test their broodiness to make sure they'll set the eggs the whole 21 days. To help them go broody, people put fake eggs or golf balls where the eggs were that they laid, and when they get like 10-15 something snaps in the hens and they want to lay on them. So when then hens lay on the fake eggs or golf balls, they replace them with the real fertilized eggs and then the hen stays on them for 21 days until they hatch.
When my hen went broody and hatched her eggs, I made a mistake and didn't collect them. She had been molting and wasn't laying, then one day I didn't see her and realized she was in the house on the eggs. She hatched 12 out of 15 eggs, she did really good!
My hen does lay one egg a day, but since they aren't fertilized and she's not the right color, I'm not using them as hatching eggs. They're just for eating.

Ellie is a little fraidy cat! I put a fan in the kitchen today and she **** near had a heart attack! haha. She was running around like crazy and hiding in her cabinet and not looking too happy. I told her to calm down that it was for her own good to have a fan and after like 10 minutes of her being stressed, she stopped and flopped out in front of it. And she finally realized it was GREAT to have a fan! hahah. She's so silly. So I've been calling her Fat Cake Von Fraidy Pants today. When I put her pellets in her bowl, she sits and eats ALL the pellets in one sitting and then runs off to whatever. haha. She's such a fatty. But she's been pretty good lately, which is really nice! She's turning out to be a pretty sweet and good girl. *knocks wood* because she'll probably eat something important soon enough!

That's great that you sold some more chickens. Hopefully someone will get Big Boy.

Happy birthday to AJ! I'm sure he'll love his truck. Yes, hopefully you'll take pictures of the BBQ 40 people does sound like a lot of people, haha. 10 People sounds much better.

Wow, 12 chicks is a lot! You should post some pictures of them, I bet they are really cute.

Haha, funny Ellie! I want to get a fan for Ash I'm hoping he won't be scared of it. I'm glad Ellie is turning in to a better girl.

Oh no Elise, I don't have any more new chicks, the 12 are the ones that hatched a few months ago. My big babies. No I haven't been letting the hen have her eggs, I've been collecting them everyday.
I was just explaining how it works with chickens and laying on the eggs.

We got some much needed rain last night. I haven't been watering too much because I've been lazy, but I've been watering the garden. But everything else was a little droopy without water and now they have rain and they're all perky now. I think my squash plants have grown since last night! haha. I have a ton of squash on them and a few tomatoes. The peppers are starting to pop now and the strawberries are having a hard time. I think I need to do a little bit of reading about the strawberries to see if I can figure them out! haha. But everything else looks good! I have like 8 blueberries and my fig tree is over full with figs.

My husband had a friend come over on Saturday, so he could get his brakes done and his friend was going crazy over our backyard and the chickens and the garden and especially the fig tree! haha. The hub said he walked up to the fig tree and was like "are these FIGS! OMG LOOK HOW MANY OF THEM THERE ARE! THESE ARE GOING TO BE SO GOOD! OHHH...IS THAT THE GARDEN!" hahah. I laughed so hard when my husband was telling me. He lives in town and I guess he doesn't have a big enough yard to have a garden or anything. It made me feel pretty special! LOL

I think AJ is going to like his new tractor too! I can't wait for him to get new toys and then I'm going to get rid of all the old toys that he has! haha. I always like to cycle out the old around Christmas and birthday times and then he gets the new ones and like 5 old ones. I have a HUGE box of toys in the front room that needs to go to Goodwill, I just haven't taken it yet. I can take all the other toys that I cycle out this time and hopefully make some other kids really happy!

I slept like crap last night. I was having crazy dreams. Then at one point I got up and had to turn the light on, which is on my husbands side of the bed, when I turned it on I saw that he wasn't in bed! I almost screamed. I don't know why is scared me so bad, but it did. It was crazy. haha. Then I had a really hard time sleeping after that.
My coffee creamer isn't name brand and it tastes really weird. It has this really funky taste and it makes me not want to drink the coffee. Its either the creamer or the coffee maker, I'm not sure which. Its pretty gross though. We haven't gotten a new maker yet, but I think I have to go get one tonight. I can't drink another cup of crappy coffee. haha.

Happy Monday!

Oh I totally forgot to talk about Ellie! She is such a little porker. I know that she's a rabbit and she's supposed to eat all the time, but jeez.
I know I talk about this a lot, but sometimes I'm just shocked by her. haha.
I give her pellets in the morning and in the evening. In the morning she is SO hungry for pellets she's grunting at me and I have to give her one pellet to get her not to attack my hand as I put the scoop in her bowl! She grunts and pushes my hand out of the way and then sits and eats her whole bowl of pellets in one sitting.
THEN at night before I got to bed, I fill her litter boxes up with hay and in the morning when I come down she has eaten ALL her hay. I think its insane how such a tiny rabbit can eat so much and always seem like she's starving!

A party with ten people should be a lot more enjoyable for you. I'm sure when you had 40 people you probably didn't get a chance to sit down or have all that much time to spend with each person. I always felt smaller numbers were better too because then you actually have a chance to watch your child and all. They will only turn two or three or four once. Ya know.

It has been raining like crazy here so far all day. I was hoping for rain because plants do so much better with rain than with hose water for whatever reason but I didn't want a monsoon.

I switch out toys at Christmas. Well actually I have the girls go through their toys and then I go through what they choose to give away. They don't quite grasp yet what is worth giving to good will and what should just be thrown away.

I hate when things like that happen...when you have a bad dream and can't sleep afterward and when it makes something ordinary seem like something is wrong.

Ellie and Thumper sound alike where food is involved. He gets 1'4 cup of pellets split into two feedings and boy does he go crazy for them. He's also eating a ton of hay and now he's drinking like crazy. He'll empty his water bowl over night plus drink during the day. His litter box has been weighing a ton lately.

Ellie is so funny...what a little glutton although mine eat their pellets when you put them down as they never ate. She doesn't look porkie to me, she´s a lovely little girl and a nice shape, I love that little black and white face.

I was laughing cos Gordon Ramsey although he was born in Scotland doesn't have a Scottish accent, he's got a very southern english accent. He actually moved to England when he was really small to Stratford upon Avon which is where Shakespeare was born. We´re all so used to hearing him curse that it always seems quite normal now.

Great to see you sold some more chickens, I´d miss them but great that you´ve made a bit of money from all that effort. I thought of you when I was buying my hay on Saturday as they were selling chickens at that place as well.

Happy birthday to AJ, I´m sure he´ll just love his new tractor. I love how excited kids get on their birthdays and, at that age, they´re just starting to enjoy celebrating. Hope he has a great day.

I´ve got a fan this year for my three...I´m hoping it doesn´t scare the crap out of them.

Back