My Heart's on Fire for Elvira

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope it clears up for you guys. Your salsa sounds yummy! Might have to have mexican food for dinner tonight :)

Cute little Ellie :) At first I thought that food tin was her food dish, haha. I'm sure she would love to just chow down from it. That's cute that AJ is interested in her. Hopefully she behaves herself. She doesn't seem like a biter, so I'm sure she wouldn't start that behavior now.

Weren't you wanting a new litter box with higher sides? I was just going to tell you that walmart has plastic dish washing bins in the kitchen section, that would be big enough and have higher sides, and are only around $2.

I thought about the wash bins because their sides are high. I'll be at walmart in a day or so and I might see what I think about them.

Too bad, its rained all day long. Haha. Its been like a monsoon today.
I really out-did myself today with the fruit trifle! I think its going to be amazing. Its like jam packed full of fruit and everything. I think my salsa is pretty good too, so it should be a hit!
Too bad its really humid and my hair won't do anything today, expect...look like a lions mane. So I'm going to look a hot mess in front of a lot of people today! haha. Good lord.

Ellie isn't a biter, she hasn't ever bitten me in a mean way. She just nips my back and butt because my clothes are in the way of whatever. She's grunty and thumpy but she isn't bitey. She will nudge your hand out of the way though and she'll box the hell out of you. hahaha. She's been really good with AJ.

I have come up with the best cleaning schedule for myself, its fantastic and I'm getting so much more stuff done! I'm doing so much more organizing and its amazing. I feel so much better about everything. Its fantastic!

I think its really ridiculous that I have to tell my child to stay out of the chicken feed...all the time. Thats not a normal thing to tell a kid right? hahaha. I tell him that everyday. Gah, just stay out of the chicken feed! Good lord, you would think he would just learn what that means OR I would just put the chicken feed somewhere else. LOL

Last edited:
Heh, thank you! I have a soft spot for Phoebe. I bought her on impulse when I saw her for sale at only around 5 weeks old, being trampled by a bunch of mini lops three times her size. I just couldn't help myself. :p

Ellie is so cute! She looks as if she's going "What do YOU want?" Is that box how she escaped? I learned that the hard way when I set up a pen for my buns a few days ago. I set a box in the corner and the next morning I found the mini satin huddled under a stool in their room, desperately wanting to go back to his friends. :rolleyes: I make sure that the box is in the middle of the pen now. He's darn lucky that I have a second barrier to block off their room when my dog is in.

I have a better perspective on her size now too. She is definitely small for a Dutch! Do you think she is growing some more with the amount of food she eats? I've noticed that the food intake tends to greatly increase when mine are growing. I think her heft might surprise you if you got her on a scale though. She's definitely significantly larger (perhaps twice the physical size) of my largest, who is sitting right at 2 pounds 3 ounces right now. :D

I envy your rain. Please send all unwanted precipitation to the California desert. :rofl: I think we had about 4 days of real rain and 5 or 6 of sprinkly nonsense this winter and that was it. Now our temps are up over 100 and I'm getting depressed at the thought of waiting until November for the possibility of a bit of rain.

I lol'd at AJ and the chicken feed. What does he do with it? Is it that kind of gritty looking stuff? I'll never forget one day in high school when I was in the bathroom and turned to see a girl take two half-grown chickens out of her backpack. Out of her freaking backpack. I was like, we are in the middle of a city in California. Where the hell did you get chickens, why are they in your backpack, and how have none of the teachers heard this?? She was trying to get them to eat this gritty looking stuff but they weren't having it. Probably because they had been stuffed in her backpack all day. :confused2:

I totally just laughed out loud with the chickens in a backpack, because my chickens would have no part in being put into anything. LOL They would attack me before ever being put into something small and dark. They can barely go into a wire dog kennel peacefully. BUT my 4 month old chickens are twice the size of most fully grown bantam chickens. haha.
My chicken feed looks like rabbit pellets, so its similar size. I don't feed the gritty stuff anymore, its called crumbles if you wanted to know the real term for it.
AJ just gets the pellets out and looks at them or eats them or does whatever with them. He puts them back, but I swear, his hand is always in the bag of chicken feed. LOL I don't think he eats it, but he likes to pull individual pellets out and put them in other things. He does the same thing with rabbit litter and cat food. He's an odd duck.

Surprisingly enough, she did not jump over the pen. She actually pushed it away from the counter and got out like that. She gets on the box, but she doesn't hop over, thank god. I don't think she has figured out that she can get over the top of the pen yet, and I hope she doesn't figure it out. I'll be screwed! haha.

I think its supposed to rain the rest of the weekend, which is great for my flowers and veggies, but it sucks for AJ's birthday party on Sunday. Apparently, there is a tropical storm A-something hitting this east coast and we're getting some of it. Well, its putting a damper on all my weekend plans!
I do like rain, when we need it. We totally needed it. I couldn't imagine having zero rain all summer, everything would die. I'm sure they do it where you are Elizabeth, but they put us under "drought advisories" and you can't water anything or do anything. I have a well, so I don't fall under that, but its annoying when they say you can't wash your car or water anything. I wouldn't like to live somewhere where its so dry. I do love hot, but a good mix of hot and wet rather than JUST hot and dry. Thats why I love the Carolina's.

Well the "cookout" at my dads was crazy! It rained so everyone was inside. Holy crap, like 30 people in a house is NOT cool. I had to get out of there so spent most of my time out in the garage with my husband and AJ, my uncle, his wife and their daughter. Yes, we're the anti-social group! haha. We had a good time though, the food my dad made was awesome. Thats where I get some of my cooking skills! haha. I came back with an empty trifle dish and got A LOT of compliments on my trifle! I was pretty happy about that. haha. I did drink too many beers and I'm still drinking too many beers, but oh well.
I just spent like 20 minutes in the pen with Ellie. She's such a sweetie.

Omg there's two Phoebes now?! COOL! Did you choose Phoebe because of Friends?
Man that sucks it rained on his birthday and there had to be a buttload of people in one house.
MMMMMMM SALSA *mouth watering*

And its still raining. Ugh.

I went down to the walmart and good god it was insane there! Everyone graduated today or yesterday or tomorrow, some time. Anyway, everyone was there getting stuff for cookouts and whatnot. They didn't have any cabbage! I was like YOU'RE OUT OF CABBAGE! HOW AM I TO MAKE COLE SLAW WITH NO DANG CABBAGE! So I guess I won't be making the cole slaw tomorrow. haha. Oh well. I actually could care less about this party now, I'm pretty over it. AJ had a good birthday with the hub and I and he doesn't care about people coming over. So I told my husband I was going to return all the stuff I just bought and say screw it and cancel the whole thing. Everyone could just drop the toys and crap off and leave. He was like "oh, is it like that?" Yes, thanks walmart, you made me want to cancel my child's birthday party.

Sorry. I'm in a terrible mood, I burnt the crap out of my hand...again. Its second degree, a nice blister. I was trying to keep AJ away from the oven as I was putting a pizza in and of course he was in a 'I do what I want' kind of mood and was walking towards the open oven door. I had it like half way open and I saw him make a step towards me and I got jumpy, hit the door with my leg and knocked it shut as I was putting chicken nuggets in. So caught the back of my hand with a 400* door. It freaking hurts. But its better it burned me and not him.
And then my husband told me I was inconsiderate because I went and got a milkshake before going to walmart and didn't bring him a milkshake. So I told him to go f himself and went out in the rain and got him some pies from burger king and a freaking frosty. What a jerk. I was gone for like an hour, if I would have gotten him a milkshake when I got one, it would have been flavored milk. Yuck. He just doesn't think.

Long day tomorrow. I'm going to bed, before someone gets punched in the face.

OOOHHHHH! And my child and that little rabbit are in kahoots with each other. AJ hits the pen and opens it up and then the little ball gets out! I've been watching them and thats whats happening. I keep going in there and finding the pen open on one side and I keep wondering how its opened. Then I saw AJ hitting the pen with a truck and opening and little Elvira eyeballing it. She didn't get out today, but he's been trying to pet her a lot more today and I've seen her pen open several times. They're working together and plotting against me.
Oh and I've started calling her Little Ball because she looks like a little ball. haha. She's just so dang round.
And its almost time for me to trim her nails. That should be super fun. I might actually be in some trouble there, she's so difficult to pick up and do anything with. For such a small critter, she puts up a big fight.

So Ellie is the boxing-est rabbit ever. She boxes my hands all the time, she's insane. She grunts and boxes me! I've never had a rabbit box me! She's weird about putting anything in her enclosure and she'll box it. hahaha. Oh and her and the child are still in cahoots with each other. They're working together to let Ellie be free. My child is trying to open the pen and she's just following him around and he'll eventually let her out. haha. WOW. They're trying to out smart me.

AJ's going to my dads today and tonight, so I can get some stuff done before everyone comes over tomorrow. I have to clean my house and I'm pretty sick of picking the same things up all the time. So with AJ gone, I can pick the stuff up one time and be done! haha. Oh and when he's not here, I don't have to utter the words "get out of my chicken feed!" Seriously, he's like a chicken. He's constantly in it. I need to move it, I'm just dumb and I never move it. LOL

Should I put Ellie in her cabinet when people come over or should I leave her in her pen? I haven't decided what to do with her, so what do you guys think? I sort of want to leave her out and freak my in-laws out. hahaha. They're so pretentious.

I can't believe Walmart didn't have cabbage. Usually they always have the stuff you want.

I'm sorry you burnt your hand. Ive burned my hand multiple times and it sure isn't fun. I hope it heals up quickly. Mine took a while to heal.

Uh oh, AJ and Ellie plotting against you that's bad, haha. And your right, it won't be fun clipping Ellie's nails.

Ash doesn't box at me ever. I don't even know what boxing is, haha. I've heard of it but I don't know what the rabbit does because Ash has never done it to me.

That's good that you can finally clean up without AJ there. I know what you mean about picking up something and finding it back on the floor again, when we were kids my little sister would always take everything and put it back on the floor again when we used to help our mother clean.

That would be funny if you put Ellie out in her pen, haha. I think you should just do what you feel best. I've kept Ash in his pen when people come over. Sometimes they would even pet him. But Ellie probably wouldn't let them pet her, haha.

Holy crap, I've had the most productive day! I got all the food made, the potato salad, cole slaw, veggie tray, fruit kabobs, ranch dip, fruit dip, rubbed the pork shoulder. I cleaned my house. I cleaned my kitchen. I haven't cleaned Ellie's cage and a cake is in the oven.
I also went to lunch with my MIL and SIL and my bestie came over to hang out. I've gotten SO much done.
I've been sweating all day and I feel GREAT!

Now, I'm finally sitting on the couch, my ankle hurts like hell, I'm drinking a nice delicious nectar of the gods cold beer and I just ordered a pizza on line. haha. Too bad they don't sell beer from pizza hut and over the internet.

Now, to eat pizza and then go to bed and get up at 3 am to start the grill to put my pork shoulder on at 4 am. Then I'll go get breakfast and go get ice and then ice a cake.
I am so glad I got everything done today and not waited until tomorrow to hustle around not get everything done.

Oh and I should add that my MIL went NUTS today at toys-r-us and I am now the proud parent of a spoiled child. He got a small picnic table and a FAO Schwarz derby car. And a few little odds and ends. He's getting so much stuff this year, its unreal. It actually makes me kind of sick. I don't want a spoiled kid! Its only the grandparents though, we don't buy him any toys!

Ugh. I hope my pizza gets here soon, I've only eaten once today and I'm STARVING.

I wouldnt worry about him. He's too young for that spoil age yet. One Bday party isn't going to do it either. He'll be really tuckered out from all the excitment tomorrow. Hope it turns out just like you want it too. He seems to be a pretty good kid.

Oh that's great that you got everything done! Right now were in the process of really cleaning the house, every crook and cranny. Sweeping everything out. We are almost finished. Its so nice to just sit back and admire your work.

After all your work I don't blame you to just sit down on the couch drink beer and eat pizza, haha. That's what I like to do.

Yeah I think he's to young to be spoiled, but if it happens at every birthday party than maybe he will get spoiled. When we were kids instead of toys our parents would get us some stuff we really wanted, like if we really wanted a book or some swmming goggles or some board game we'd get those things instead of just toys. And we'd get to choose a place to go that we liked going to like a favorite playground or something like that.

Don't you know? Grandparents are allowed to spoil their grandkids. That's what they are there for :) One of my favorite presents as a kid, was from my grandma. That's great that you were able to get so much done. Don't know how you did it. I probably would have only got to the second thing on the list. Proof: I spent all day trying to get one load of 10 bales of hay for the buns. Complete failure! I ended up with one bale, cause I absolutely had to have it for the buns. ONE freakin' bale! Ugh! So you did a heck of a lot better than me. And since you have a big ole birthday party to host, I'm glad you did. The food sounds really good. I can't believe you are getting up at 3 to put the roast in. Now that is the true commitment of a mom :)

I can't believe Ellie and AJ are conspiring for a breakout. You have your work cut out for you Ellieproofing and AJproofing your house. Ellie's going to love the sight of AJ if she starts associating him with being able to escape, hehe :) Libby boxes me too. She's so tiny and has these gentle tiny little feet trying to box me. I picked up an abandoned rabbit in front of our neighborhood the other day. Now that rabbit can box! Nothing like Libby's cute little boxing. This rabbit means business when it boxes me. And it's strong for a little 4 lb rabbit. So if Ellie boxes anything like this rabbit, then she's one tough bunny!

Have a great party tomorrow, have lots of fun, and try not to work too hard :)

Jenny, you found a stray rabbit? What?! Take a picture of it! haha.

I know, Ellie and AJ together, the little team. haha. Small person and small rabbit together, plotting against mama.
Speaking of Ellie, she was acting a little weird yesterday. I think it was because it was hot in the kitchen and I had music on and a fan going, so she was in her box a lot of the time. Except when I would leave the kitchen for a while, she would come out of the box and lay on the floor. THEN when I was about to go to bed, she was laying with her belly pressed to the floor. I have never seen her like that before, with her front legs stretched completely out and her belly pressed to the floor. So I gave her some simethicone because I was exhausted and was worried about her being uncomfortable. Fortunately enough for me, she REALLY likes simethicone and she drank it all up with no issue and I didn't have to burrito her.
I think shes okay though. She's acting normal this morning. I did give her a lot more hay last night and she dug into it as soon as it hit the tray. I think shes okay and really, she may not have been having any issue last night. I was so tired last night that I couldn't even see straight. So I could have mistaken her laying like that for being uncomfortable. Who knows what was going through my head. Anyway, she loves simethicone! How awesome, right?!
Oh and she boxes me all the time. haha. She gets my hands pretty hard. Its really funny to watch, but I think its a pretty bad habit. I would much rather her box me than bite me. haha. My husband thinks it funny to see.

I just put the meat on the grill. I'm so tired! I got like 3 hours of sleep. I totally just ate a piece of pizza at 4:15 am. I need to do some dishes and get my day started, but the rooster hasn't even crowed. The sun hasn't come up and I'm scared of this hour. This is unnatural to get up this early. Should I drink some coffee? Should I go back to sleep? I don't really know what to do. This time of the day is disorienting.

I really hope the party goes well today! I hope the rain holds out and it stays nice outside like it was yesterday.
I know you can't spoil a 2 year old. He loves everything, all toys, anything you give him he loves. I pulled out some old toys that are getting ready to go to Goodwill and when he saw them it was like seeing them for the first time and he was SO happy. haha. So anything he gets he's happy with and I think thats awesome. I love how simple kids are, they're so easy to please.

Yeah, I still don't know what to do. Drink coffee or go back to sleep? I'm confused. LOL

Last edited:
Well I stayed up. LOL

I'm drinking coffee and I iced a cake. haha. I have more stuff to do, but I'm so tired still. I'll never be able to make it through the day now. haha. The sun finally came up and my rooster is crowing. A baby rooster is crowing too and he sounds...special. I've talked about him before but listening to him today its so silly sounding! haha. He's getting better though!

I've been watching a lot of How I Met Your Mother and its so great. I really love Jason Segel, he's hilarious. I also love Neil Patrick Harris, he's one of my favorite people and totally makes this show! haha. I just love it. And surprisingly my husband likes it too and we usually don't like the same shows. LOL

I need to go back to sleep. My cat is cleaning me, I think she's trying to put me to sleep! haha.

That's good that Ellie like simethicone. I've seen Ash laying like that before. Usually when its hot out, and sometimes he just lays like that. I think its just that that position helps him cool off or he feels more comfortable laying like that. I've never really been worried about it.

I went to sleep at 12: 30 I usually never stay up later than 1 or 2 am. I hate staying up late because when I go to bed and wake up the next morning I feel so tired and groggy.

Can't wait to here how the party goes. Maybe you can take some pictures of it. Have fun at the party!

I HATE when my buns have tummy aches. It's so stressful waiting for them to start eating again. That's great that she likes the gas med. That is always helpful when you don't have to fight to get the medicine into them. Glad she's ok.

So Thursday I was outside and my neighbor comes walking over and says he just saw a rabbit while he was mowing his lawn, and was wondering if I had lost one of my rabbits. Uh, no. So I go with him, and it's out in front of our neighborhood hiding under a pine tree. It wasn't too skittish, but it still wouldn't let me just pick it up. Another neighbor came up, and between the three of us we managed to get a hold of it. It looks to be a drop off. People tend to abandon their former pets around where I live. So we see cats showing up a lot, and occasionally a dog, but this was the first pet rabbit I've seen this close to our housing development. I'm fairly certain it's a girl, though she acts more like a hormonal boy. If she's not full grown, I guess the sex change fairy could surprise me :) She's settled in just fine and totally relaxed being around people. Loud house noises like the washer going, don't bother her. She wouldn't eat timothy hay, so I've been cutting fresh brome and orchard grass for her, and I'm slowly starting her off on pellets. She's very friendly. LOVES me to give her nose rubs. She'll sit still on my lap as long as I'm rubbing her nose. When I let her out to play today, she circles me while I'm sitting on the floor with her, and makes little honking sounds. So she clearly likes me :) She managed a few funny looking binkies today too. She seems really healthy. I've looked her over, and aside from a little urine staining on her hind end and feet, there doesn't appear to be anything wrong with her. The only things that I've had problems with, is that she will sometimes nip me when I'm holding her, and she gets a bit nervous or territorial about her cage and grunts and boxes my hand, unless I give nose rubs right away, then she doesn't mind me invading her space :) I really can't keep her as 10 rabbits really is my max, so I'll try and find her a good home, once I get her eating normal hay and rabbit food. So, this is my new boarder, haha. AND here she is! Enjoying some pets :)

P1010180 (800x600).jpg

Last edited:
Jenny, the bunny you found is so cute! She sounds like a real sweetie too. Do you know how old she is? She looks like a small bunny. I wonder what breed she is, she has some really pretty coloring. She couldn't have gone to a better home than yours.

Last edited:
Oh Jenny, she's really cute! I wonder what she is? She looks like a mix to me, but she's really cute. I like how her spots are agouti. Ellie boxes me when I put my hands in her enclosure too, but then I pet her nose and she's fine with it. haha. I'd say that she likes you too, if she circling you! Foo used to circle me all the time. haha. It was so funny. If you circle her back, you'll have a best friend for life!
It really sucks that she got dumped. I hate how people neglect their animals and their kids for that matter. (I'm a little bitter about somethings right now)
At least you're the one who got her Jenny, she came to the right neighborhood to get the dumped! She definitely couldn't have come to a better person.

So AJ's birthday party went great! The rain held out until everyone left and we got the yard cleaned up! He got all kinds of stuff and he loves ALL of it. haha. Everyone enjoyed the food and enjoyed the yard. Except the rooster crowed the WHOLE time we were out there. haha.

The terrible thing is, I didn't take any pictures with my camera because I was exhausted and I wasn't thinking straight. I'll have to get my MIL to send me the pictures she took, she was taking lots of them. I did take some pictures this morning of some of the stuff he got.
He got a walmart gift card and some money from his great grand parents, so we went to walmart last night and got him some movies. We spent $80 on movies! haha. We got Cars, all 4 of the Shrek movies, Toy Story, and Up. We love all those movies, I especially love Up. My husband likes Shrek a lot. haha. We're watching Cars right now. The next time we get him movies, we're getting Peter Pan because it just came out of the vault and then Despicable Me, because that is a great movie!
He also got these two tent things, to play in. He likes them a lot! And he got this magical paint station thing.
AJ got a child sized picnic table, he LOVES it. The good thing about it is, it can come in the house and its not too big. We brought it in yesterday because it was raining and he likes to eat at it. So it can go back outside when we go outside, but he can use it inside too. He was enjoying his breakfast this morning!
330vl13.jpg

I just thought his face was hilarious in this one.
2z6blw7.jpg

And here is his new Derby car that we got at Toys R Us on Saturday. He loves this thing!
2wgwynr.jpg

Here is AJ on his new tractor at my dads house. And thats my dad.
2mqkkki.jpg

Heres AJ and my dad in AJ's pool at their house.
hvbj9c.jpg

Thats it for pictures. I'll take some more later. Oh and ignore the way my living room looks, all the stuff on the floor. I was too tired after unpacking all his toys to get the bags put away. haha. I also didn't know what to do with some boxes, so I left them. LOL

Oh and I wanted to talk about F.A.O Schwarz toys, the best toys in the world. I swear to goodness, they're amazing. AJ's derby car is F.A.O and its amazing.
These are the toys he's going to get next year by FAO.
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4354325
They also have a solar system one like this, thats great! I'm just totally in love with FAO toys right now. Their stuffed animals are fantastic and SO soft. I almost bought one for myself the other day! Then they have the walk-on piano, thats just awesome and I would play with all the time...I mean AJ would play with it all the time. hahaha. http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4243166&prodFindSrc=search

And now I'm done. I have to finish cleaning up. I'm still so tired! I woke up tired, its terrible. Its a HUGE pot of coffee day today.
Ellie went back into her cage for the party, no one even knew I had a rabbit! haha. She did really well in the cabinet though. Now AJ is sitting next to her in the cage and probably trying to plot his way move to let her out. LOL

Happy Monday!

It sounds like AJ had a great birthday party! That's great that he got a WalMar gift card and some money. And all those movies sound great! I like Up too. I think its the best animation movies they've made. It looks like he loves his picnic table. We used to have one of those a long time ago. When we were kids we'd use it a lot. I love the new pictures, looks like AJ had a TON of fun. That is great that he enjoyed the day. :)

FAO toys look great! I just had a look at those links you posted and those toys look great. I love the I love the walk-on-piano. That would be fun to have, I bet AJ would like that.

Back