My Heart's on Fire for Elvira

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about I talk about Ellie?! Since this IS her blog! haha.
She is a SNEAKY little bunny. Today I was sitting in the living room on the computer and I saw something run passed the door way in the kitchen, it was like a dark blur. So I freaked out and yelled "ohmygod baby! There is something in the kitchen! I saw it run, go find ittttt!" He was like, 'you're dumb' then went into the kitchen and said there wasn't anything in there but Ellie. I was like WTH? That makes no sense, I didn't let her out...she let herself out! I forgot to put the food bin in front of her cabinet door and she opened it up and got out by herself. So sneaky!

Now she has started to flop a lot! I see her flopped in her cabinet and on the floor a lot. When she's in the floor she doesn't always just up when I come in now! She stays laying down. I think she's being really comfortable here. Its so funny to see her flopped out though, she is so small and her little back legs are so little and skinny. Its funny.
I gave her some clover today and a dandelion, she was pretty happy about that.
If the weather in nice tomorrow, I'll take her out and let her play in the grass. It was like 80* today! It was so beautiful. I think it might rain a little tomorrow, but maybe it will be nice enough to take her out. I would like to try to get her used to being outside, so maybe I can make her a little shelter and a run to spend a few ours in the evenings in the summer in. If she likes it out there.
If I do take her out I'll take some pictures!

So I'm standing in the kitchen, filling out some paperwork and taking care of some poultry business and Ellie is THUMPING AT ME. She is right below me in the cabinet. I just witnessed her groom her elephant and then thump at it twice. What is she doing? I don't really understand.
She just recently started thumping. She thumps at my husband when he puts her down on the floor after force-loving her. Its like foot flick away then thump. Now she is thumping at me! And her poor defenseless elephant. I wonder if she thumped at it because it didn't groom her back and it just lays there like a fake elephant? lmao.
Now she's laying down in bun-loaf position and it looks as if she's going to get nappy. Take that back, her ears look a little pissed?

I have some recent food observations too. I've noticed that now she is eating the small world food, she isn't eating NEARLY as much food as she was eating with the Sherwood and she is also eating A LOT more hay. I haven't really been measuring since I miss placed my "animal" measuring cup, so I've been using a cap from a mixed nut jar. LOL. Anyway, she gets like 1 cap full every day and A LOT of hay, like a lot more than she was eating on the sherwood. I wonder why? Its strange, but you know I would rather her eat a lot more hay than a lot more pellets. I feel pretty confident in my switch.
Oh and her litter box habits have gone to pot and I'm not very happy. But oh well. I've also been throwing around getting her spayed but as much as I would like to do it, I just don't think I can. Makes sense right?

Lol, so Ellie got out of her cage herself? Thats funny.

I'm jealous! You had 80 degree weather? There's snow on the ground here and its probably like 20 degrees out.

And she's starting to thump? lol. That's soo funny that she thumps at her elephant! She is probably mad that it is not grooming her back.

She sounds so funny thumping at her elephant! Maybe she's just gotten the hang of thumping and wants to practice or maybe it's just her hormones kicking in and giving her mood swings.

Just goes to prove how smart she is...bet it was funny seeing that little bun flash before your eyes lol.

I think they go through thumpy phases. Mine hardly ever thumped and just lately, they all see to be doing it, probably some cos they´re annoyed, some cos they want food and some cos they´re please with something they´ve done. They are loud as well and they´re only very small, can´t imagine what Thumper or Monty thumping sounds like haha.

Wow, you mean business with these chickens. It'll be interesting to see how it all works out. Did your roo find a new home yet?

Haha, little spunky Ellie :) I'm always getting thumped at during feeding time. Everybun is so impatient to get their food *first*. I wonder what was up with her and her Elephant? That's pretty funny how sneaky she was. We had something similar happen, well, kind of, or not. I had Roo in the living room playing, and my mom was in the other room talking on the phone. Well I put Roo back in the bunny room, but then after my mom got off the phone, she asked me where the white bunny was. I was like, What? I never had a white bunny in the living room, and I had put Roo away. She said she saw a little white bunny running around, and it stopped and looked at her, then hopped away. Now my mom knows Roo really well, and she saw this bunny in a different part of the house, and I had Roo gated off in the living room. Weird huh! I think it was my little Dash, coming to say 'hi' :)

Morgan, I think it's fantastic that you're so into your chickens and congrats on your certification! :)
Every animal, if given enough attention or at least if learned about in depth enough, is extremely interesting in their own way. Then again, maybe I'm a little quirky :p

Haha, Ellie is a little smarty pants! I would love to see more pictures of her flopped. How long has it been that you've had her now? it feels like she should be like 5-6 months old! Either way, feels like a long time...
Did you know that Phoenix actually learned how to open her airtight storage food container... :/ Now when I'm cleaning she knows exactly which latch it is she has to push on in order to flip the lid! Bunnies are SO smart :)

(Again, this forum needs a nerdy smiley face!)

Jenny, its weird that you say something about Dash, because when I'm washing dishes I feel a rabbit run over my feet; I look to find Ellie and she's no where to be found, so I call her and she comes out from behind the wash bin. Thats happened multiple times. I think its Foo, she used to run over my feet all the time when I was washing dishes. Or maybe I just really want it to be her and I just make myself feel her run over my feet. I miss her a lot today.

Thanks for all the congratulations on my certification. I made the appointment to get the state tester here to watch me test them the first time around. That will be in April. And it gives her a chance to inspect the farm and make sure its adequate. That means I have a lot of work to do and I'll be forgoing Pittsburgh this time around. I didn't really want to go anyway, and I have so much to take care of at the house and I'm just going to send my husband and my son. They'll be fine and its his family anyway. Not that I don't care, but one is going to do any of this for me.

And Jenny, no the roo never found a new home. I think I'm just going to snap his spurs off and he will have his own separate coop away from the hens, so that should stop a lot of the issues. If not, I really only need him for breeding and as long as I can feed him from afar and throw a hen in with him every now and then, he'll be fine. He's going to have his own pretty large pen. He's such a good rooster to the hen, that I would really like to keep him around but the next attack might be his last. Then the other roo's that I'm not able to sell, will have their own little runs on the other side of the yard because they will be my "fun" birds and they have to stay away from my "breeders" which are the hens and the rooster. They have to be separated.

I'll try to take some more recent pictures of Ellie.

Haha sneaky and thumpy Ellie. Shes so funny! I can just see her thumping at her elephant. And the foot flick thump, arch will do that too sometimes when I set him down. I had never heard a thump until I brought Arch home. I don't think Agnes knows how to or has never been upset enough to do so, hahaha.

Yeah hormones in buns are a lot to handle. Me personally I couldnt have a house bunny who wasn't fixed. Especially now that I know the difference. I was so nervous and wasnt sure I was going to spay Ahnes way back when but boy I'm glad I did. I don't know how I'd feel if I were in your position after losing Foo. That would be so hard!!!! But didn't the vet say Foo might have had a heart condition? So it might not have been the spay. But i guess no one can say for sure. Your vet sounds awesome maybe you could bring Ellie in and talk about some concerns amd worries. He might be able to help you make that decision.

Dr. Hierz is the BEST! He is so good with rabbits because of his past experiences and he owns English Lops. He is also SO nice. I guess I could take Ellie and talk to him and see what he says. He did say that Foo could have had a heart condition or some type of respiratory condition, he recommended a necropsy be done, but I was so upset that I couldn't imagine her being autopsied after I had just lost her. I just wanted to bring her home with me, he totally understood. I guess now, in hindsight I should have done it and knowing now what I know about the importance of necropsies in chickens, I definitely should have done it.

I think that I just need to think about it some more, I'm a little scared and worried and I just don't know. She does pretty well most of the time, but there are some behavioral things that are popping up that I would like to remedy, but my fear is definitely out weighing my "smart" brain. But I also think because she is young, she should be fine.

Now to a personal note. I have become a person I don't like. I have become the person who takes the first cup of coffee out of the pot as the coffee is still brewing. I HATE that person. I KNOW why I do it, its because the coffee maker we have is a SO slow now, it makes me nuts. So I just want my coffee right then and I do it. BUT that first cup of coffee isn't even good and its never hot enough! Its always WAY too strong and like luke warm. Not even good, but I can't stop myself from doing it! I know how much I hate doing it as I do it, but I can't stop myself. Then I force myself to drink this whole cup of terrible coffee as punishment for being "that person". Thats how my mornings start. hahahaha. Its bad.

And now I've started watching this show, Roswell. Remember that show guys? From 1999 about the three aliens in Roswell, NM. Its where Katherine Hiegal got her start. And its made by Jason Katims who made Parenthood and wrote a lot of Friday Night Lights. Even though its crazy old and their hair styles SCREAM 90's, its not a bad show!

So my finger is pretty much healed, I still have a little scab on it, but it doesn't really hurt anymore. I still can't bend it all the way and I can't straighten it out all the way. AND I have this really weird knot on the side of it. My husband thinks its scar tissue, like the spur went in at an angle and now there is a know on the side of my finger, like to the left of the actual wound site. The knot is pretty hard and IT hurts, but only when I press on it.

I can hear Ellie in the kitchen shredding her box in her cabinet. I guess I should let her out, I didn't let her out yesterday. I was in a pretty terrible mood. So I'm sure she wants to stretch her little bunny legs! This has been pretty long, I guess just updates of things that I haven't updated about in a while because my whole mind has been engulfed in chicken and its really taking a toll on me mentally. I'm super stressed out about it. Anyway, I'm done now. Hopefully when I get back on later, I'll have some pictures of Ellie to share. If I don't, someone reach through the internet and b*tch slap me!(as Jennifer put it!). And now to finish my terrible disgusting first cup of coffee. Ugh, why do I do this to myself?!

Maybe over time you will become more comfortable with getting her spayed. I would probably have a full check up with blood work done before a spay if I were you to be on the safe side.

That first cup of coffee before being done brewing is horrible. We have always bought coffee pots that allow you to set them up to brew at a specific time. Our coffee is brewed completely when we get up and very hot so we don't have to wait. Hubby also gace me one of those Keurig coffee pots for X-mas. Coffee pots use a lot of electricity so we use our old one for brewing for the morning or when we have company. During the day I use the Keurig to save on the electricity. We use our own brand of coffee because the packs are crazy expensive in my mind and I don't like them anyway. I just fill up the re-usable filter that came with it.

I'm glad your finger is feeling better. Sometimes wounds can take a while for all pain to go away. When I impaled my hand on my dogs canine it healed quickly, luckily it didn't get infected, but it continued to hurt for months afterward if there was any pressure on it.

I hope Ellie doesn't terrorize you for keeping her cooped up :). I've never mentioned it before but I know the song well. When we were young and the song was popular my brother would sing it out loud constantly. I'll never forget that. And even though he would drive us nuts singing it soooo often I still do like it.

I'm 35 years old and just started drinking coffee. So I had no idea the first cup before brewing is done is bad! Haha. I don't do that very often but sometimes and now that you say it....it's true! How strange am I to just be learning about coffee now.

I have heard, though, that running vinegar through a brewing cycle cleans it and makes it run fate again. Maybe try that.

What kind of coffee do you (or anyone) like? I just buy Folgers and I like a little bit of hazelnut creamer in it

I agree that a blood panel before might ease your worries a bit. I hate to say Ellie will be fine because you truly do never know but I would think the odds would be in your favor. Losing two rabbits that way!! Seems impossible........

Don't beat yourself up about no necropsy. Truthfully I probably wouldn't spend the money on one. I mean, it wouldn't change the outcome and you don't want to find out something that would make you feel like you should have made different decisions.

Glad your finger is feeling better!

I have tried running vinegar through the coffee maker, they just aren't long lasting appliances. They last for a year or a little over. We've had our for a year and a few months and right at a year it started to slow down. I brew like 1-2 pots of coffee a day, so I think that constant use is a contributing factor to its slow down.
I drink starbucks blond roast willow. Its amazing! Its not as roasted as other coffees so its more powerful! haha. But right now, I'm drinking maxwell house because thats what my husband wanted to get. I don't mind it, but I would still like my starbucks back. I use french vanilla coffee creamer and no sugar.
And yes, that first cup is SO strong and gross. Its like when it all brews it mixes together and evens out and then gets hot from the plate and I use hot water, so it brews hot. But the first cup is like drinking Mississippi mud! hahaa. Thats what I call it. But it will put some hair on your chest and get you going for the day!

Ellie is so happy to be out of the cage today! haha. She's been running around and binkying round like crazy. She's now sleeping in the sun and enjoying herself. I got her cabinet cleaned out and changed all the litter boxes. And I also washed all her blankets.
Hopefully some pictures later, I have to get some other things done. haha. Its never ending.

So I'm dusting my house and cleaning mirrors and the tv and my son's window. I just got some microfiber clothes because I've been reading a lot of organization things and cleaning things lately, and everyone recommends microfiber clothes. OMG they are more magic than a mr clean magic eraser! I can not believe I've never had these things before! I just got crayon off a window with a cloth and some windex, that junk is impossible to get off. I just cleaned my mirror so lint free and clean, its...scary to look into it now, I feel like I can see myself for the first time. And my tv. We have a flat screen with the more matte screen and it came with a tiny microfiber cloth. Well I misted, I mean literally held the windex like a foot or more away from the cloth and misted, and clean the tv like that. I've been having a hard time getting AJ's finger prints off of the screen, but I got them! I can see myself now! Its like I'm watching my tv for the first time.
These things are amazing. I highly recommend them for any and all things, and their machine washable. Thats my favorite part about them! I love being able to wash stuff. Where have these things been all my life? The best part is their lint free so you know when you wash a window you get the lint and streak marks sometimes? Not with these.
I'm sure I'm the late one to the microfiber party, and all of you have used them or something. But I'm in awe. I got mine at walmart in the car section, they're bigger ones for $3 for 3. I've seen other people on cleaning blogs and stuff paying like $20 for 4, which is ludicrous.

And today I just remembered how much I love the band Bread. So now I have Bread radio playing on my pandora and its really helping me be less stressed and helping me feel a little lighter today. Its playing all kinds of great things like James Taylor and Harry Nilsson. All the easy listening from the mid 60's to the early 70's. My favorite stuff. Oh and Elton John, how could I forget Elton John? hahaha.

Microfiber clothes are calling my name. :wave:

Last edited:
Are you talking about Norwex? I've went on a norwex rant sometime on here. I LOVE them. They are microfiber but have silver so they disinfect too.

I love the 60s amd 70s for sure too. Love Bread, James Taylor, Creedence Clearwater Revivial, omg makes me want to play some music now! :)

No they're not Norwex, I kind of remember you talking about those though. They're just regular microfiber and they're amazing. I've never had them and its like they just pick everything up and clean so much better than other things. I really like them. My husband was like "Wow! The tv is SO clean!"

So I just caught my son hiding food! He was sitting in his high chair and I was trying to get him to eat the last of his hamburger, I went into the kitchen and came back and it was gone. I was like yay you ate it! Then I look down and its next to him in the seat, he was trying to fake me out! hahaha. That is sneaky. Why is everything in my house so sneaky?!

Yes Lisa, I love all that music too. I love Creedence Clearwater Revival! I also love Three Dog Night. I missed Three Dog Night by a few days last year. My dad said something about it one time and then never mentioned it again. Then we were in Hooters and I asked when the show was because I wanted to see it and he said it was like 2 nights before. I was so mad! haha. I used to blast The Eagles Greatest Hits everywhere I went, The Eagles are probably my favorite listening experience.
That music makes me think of summer time and makes me feel peaceful on the inside. I had a really terrible day today and then I heard something about Barry Manilo and then thought of Bread so I've had my pandora going all day and it made me feel so much better. Country music makes me want to sit on the tailgate of truck in the woods like I did when I was a teenager and James Taylor makes me want to be happy and accomplish things. Its funny how things work!

Oh I LOVE Starbucks Blonde Roast! It's so **** good. I never drink coffee, and when I do, that's what I drink... I used to be addicted to the darn stuff so I know exactly what you mean by first cup before it's done. Yeuck! It is gross... but it does somehow satisfy the craving. I also love microfiber cloths and it's so wierd, after I'm done cleaning mirrors I can see things on my face that I didn't see prior to... either my mirrors are that dirty (hope not) or I just dont stare into them as often as I thought.

So you're considering getting Ellie spayed? interesting. She is progressing like crazy! I wish now that I know so much about rabbits I could get a young one and raise it right the first time around! I'd have like a super awesome rabbit, like Ellie !! Meh, mine are good enough :) I love the suckers.

Atleast your son isn't feeding his food to anyone he's not supposed to :p That's funny though.

That's what drives me nuts, buying a new coffee pot every year or two! My husband keeps saying we need to get a commercial coffee pot. I want an old electric perculator. My parents had theirs forever. We drink Maxwell house. Folgers tears up our stomachs. We used to switch between hazelnut and French vanilla creamer depending on our mood. But now I can't even stand the smell of French vanilla and my husband is the same with the hazelnut. So he drinks with French vanilla and I do the hazelnut. I have never had starbucks. Before I ever got around to it I learned that they refused to support our troops so they won't get my business. Most people that try our coffee really like it. I guess it's just the amount of coffee per water we use.

How could you ever forget Elton John? :) I listen to all types of music depending on my mood. I listen to music such as Godsmack when I'm angry. When I really want to feel mellow I listen to celtic music especially a cd I have where they sing in Gaelic. I love bagpipes, drumming (djembe, I have one), dijeridoo (I have one), country, some rap (not the cop killing stuff), pop, 60's, Janice Joplin, Zepplin...I'm just all over the place. The only music I know I don't like is mariachi bands.

I bet Ellie was really kicking up her heels having a wonderful time.

Back